Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing rear brake pads on a P+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dangerous Fish

Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2016
UK
Is the only way to retract the piston fully in the rear caliper to take off the parking brake motor and wind it back in?

These OE calipers haven't been designed with track days/racing in mind...

I saw a YouTube of someone doing like a 20k service that put it in tow mode to pull the pads. They then pulled the electric plug so it would not re-engage (Which would be bad if the caliper is off).
Yes, you have to do that to unlock the parking brake and keep it off, but because they automatically adjust for the pad thickness as they wear down, it's not possible to push the piston back fully. You have to take off the motor and wind back the mechanism manually.

I just wondered if there's an alternative method so you don't have to remove the motor each time you want to put new pads in.

I tried retracting them electrically and then disconnecting the wire connector. But I still had to retract it manually.

I bet there is probably a way to use a battery even a 9v might work.
This is what I'm thinking. Or maybe there's a hidden service menu where it can be done. What's needed is access to the workshop manual...

Is the only way to retract the piston fully in the rear caliper to take off the parking brake motor and wind it back in?

As far as I know, and based on others who have replaced pads multiple times(track rats), yes. I found that out last weekend when I went to install the factory shim on some aftermarket pads. So, when I have more time I will mess with it. For now, I get to deal with rattling brake pads... :mad:

These OE calipers haven't been designed with track days/racing in mind...

They most certainly have not. Pulling calipers to swap pads adds more time than is necessary. The non P3D+ calipers seem to be much easier. o_O

ASY, EPB JUMPER, LH, PERF, M3, AWD Performance 1098480-00-D

If you connect it to the rear caliper, cut off the other end and split the harness, and apply 12V to it, it will retract (or engage) the piston.

Of course, you can also use alligator clips or the like. This is just a bit cleaner.

Couldn't you, in theory, trick the car to retract the piston? Put in tow mode, disconnect the caliper harness, release tow mode, reconnect harness, and then engage tow mode again. Just a thought.

In the end, it's probably easier to just pull the motor...