Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replika R187 wheels causing issues..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like a good time to come across this thread.

I have a 70D, delivered in March 2016 (AP1, pre-facelift). I purchased and installed R187 in November 2016, and use the lug nuts that come with the OEM 19" Tesla 5 spoke wheels. It was installed by SimplyTire (a fairly reputable GTA shop).

I have noticed that whenever I am at full lock and reversing (such as backing out of my driveway), that something seems to "give" and the car seems to turn a bit on its own. I don't hear any rubbing but it's obviously unexpected.

Does anyone have an idea of what may be happening? It's only a concern for me if there is some damage happening that would affect safety.

Looks like a good time to come across this thread.

I have a 70D, delivered in March 2016 (AP1, pre-facelift). I purchased and installed R187 in November 2016, and use the lug nuts that come with the OEM 19" Tesla 5 spoke wheels. It was installed by SimplyTire (a fairly reputable GTA shop).

I have noticed that whenever I am at full lock and reversing (such as backing out of my driveway), that something seems to "give" and the car seems to turn a bit on its own. I don't hear any rubbing but it's obviously unexpected.

Does anyone have an idea of what may be happening? It's only a concern for me if there is some damage happening that would affect safety.
That sounds like the normal behaviour when reversing, as the toe-in alignment that normally makes your front wheels "stable" and want to seek to center themselves travelling forward actually works the other way when reversing and tends to make the steering want to continue turning, especially with the additional geometry changes that occur as the steering approaches full lock. The car should be doing the same thing when you have the OE wheels on.

• Informative
Reactions: TorqueIt
That sounds like the normal behaviour when reversing, as the toe-in alignment that normally makes your front wheels "stable" and want to seek to center themselves travelling forward actually works the other way when reversing and tends to make the steering want to continue turning, especially with the additional geometry changes that occur as the steering approaches full lock. The car should be doing the same thing when you have the OE wheels on.

Sorry to interject on the main thread - @Mad Hungarian - are there any pics of Model 3's with the R187's mounted?

Sorry to interject on the main thread - @Mad Hungarian - are there any pics of Model 3's with the R187's mounted?
Not yet, should have later this summer.
Anyone else with general questions please PM me, I really don't want to break forum rules about discussing products publicly (unless there are technical concerns like this thread).

Last edited:
Guys , I have the Replika rims on my Model X. When I first got them I had that same knocking sound on my front right tire. It was a simple fix. It was one of the lead balancers that was placed on the inside of the rim that was hitting a metal piece on the car. I just removed it and everything was fine.

Same boat. Now I'm worried about this wheel. My supplier here in Ottawa says it's on back order to November.

I think that's the case all over and it doesn't jive with insurance winter tire discount dates or the possibility of snow so I'm just going to stick winters on the Aeros then use the Replikas come spring.

Does anyone know if the tires on the Aeros will fit the Replikas? I guess I could go figure it out but if someone already did.... :)

I think that's the case all over and it doesn't jive with insurance winter tire discount dates or the possibility of snow so I'm just going to stick winters on the Aeros then use the Replikas come spring.

Does anyone know if the tires on the Aeros will fit the Replikas? I guess I could go figure it out but if someone already did.... :)

I just ordered a set of Nokians with Replika rims from Goldwing on Friday. They have a group buy going on and may still have some stock left if anyone wants in.

Reactions: ElectricCanuck

I checked wheelwiz and canada wheels about OEM tire on R187. They confirmed that it will just work fine. I ordered my set of R187 from wheelwiz and they told me the current ETA is November 30th.

I checked wheelwiz and canada wheels about OEM tire on R187. They confirmed that it will just work fine. I ordered my set of R187 from wheelwiz and they told me the current ETA is November 30th.

Thanks, good info. Yeah mine will be November too - way to late for Ottawa winter. I'm going to get winters put on my aeros then once the winter tire rush dies down I'll get the OEM tires put on the Replikas, ready for Spring when it eventually comes..

Thanks, good info. Yeah mine will be November too - way to late for Ottawa winter. I'm going to get winters put on my aeros then once the winter tire rush dies down I'll get the OEM tires put on the Replikas, ready for Spring when it eventually comes..

That's what I'm going to do as well. I already got curb rashes on OEM rims, so I am going to use OEM rims for the winter and Replika for summer. Based on the information from Wheelwiz, it's selling off pretty fast. 1010tires showed me that 100 units were coming. That covers only 25 sets. I don't want to miss them, so I placed an order for Replika so I can get them before the spring.

FYI: The initial price was ~155 and it's now increased to 160. Robert from Wheelwiz provided me with discount code ($20 off), that triggered me to order it earlier than later. ;)

Last edited: