Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REQUEST TO TESLA: CONTINUE USB MUSIC PLAYBACK ON CAR RESTART

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's always been that way. You have to take the CDs and make them AIFF, then it will play lossless.

Nope. That's not true an operating system update this past spring knocked out the ability to play m4a files and left only Flac and MP3. That was a change. Prior to that they worked flawlessly. It seems you're a little late to the party on this one.

Currently it'll play mp3s, flacs and m4a. And ditto on the fixed and then broken resume after a power cycle - It was working perfectly for a while, and then they broke it again.

Are your m4a Apple Lossless? I can't get those to load, but I can now load and play FLAC. Which at least gives me a loseless pathway for my music collection of 500+ albums. YEA!!

Are your m4a Apple Lossless? I can't get those to load, but I can now load and play FLAC. Which at least gives me a loseless pathway for my music collection of 500+ albums. YEA!!
No, just the garden variety music I've purchased on itunes. And while the car will play m4a's, they're the least reliable kind of files to play correctly - I get the ends of songs cut off quite often with these. Flac files also will occasionally have ends cut off, but much more rarely. I have most of the files I play in flac - they really sound great in the model 3 via usb.

Reactions: dfwatt
No, just the garden variety music I've purchased on itunes. And while the car will play m4a's, they're the least reliable kind of files to play correctly - I get the ends of songs cut off quite often with these. Flac files also will occasionally have ends cut off, but much more rarely. I have most of the files I play in flac - they really sound great in the model 3 via usb.

I just am converting a 500 album Apple Lossless files music library to FLAC, using a commercial converter. But it won't batch converter multiple directories. Just one.

But with all the drivers in the doors and dash replaced with Infinity 4022 (I was one of the early tweakers with Flashflooder) and a Li 12V battery, the car will play a touch louder than stock, and sounds absolutely fantastic. Indeed the only better sounding system I've ever heard is the one below, and it easily beats all the separates that I installed in many previous cars. Wish KEF made speakers that would fit!
The Blades.jpg

If you are using a windows pc you might check out Media Monkey gold. it's complicated but very powerful and has the ability to import music & playlists from itunes. it will re-encode a library but I'm finding a need for different formats for different uses. The killer feature for me was the ability to export to named devices including USB drives and define a template for each. You can define directory structure, file naming & file formats the device can accept plus a default format that it will encode to on export.

For example, I have a Honda that (apparently) has limited directory space to index the music library so reducing the length of the file path & name allows more music on each USB stick to index correctly. My export template re-encodes lossless to mp3 CR 320, assigns a sequence number as the file name & drops it all into the top level directory for a specific set of playlists. The Honda reads the ID3 tags & presents the playlist, artist, album structure you'd expect. It has a sync feature that will update changes.

I listen pretty much exclusively via playlists and have read that the M3 doesn't support them at the moment. I can fix that by having a playlist directory structure for the template. Any format & bitrate requirements that the M3 needs to play lossless reliably can be added.

It doesn't have a fluffy care bear UI but if you get directory structure, wildcards & substitution a little experimentation will get you there.
Always learn on a backup copy of your music library !

Reactions: dfwatt
As of when I wrote my last post (actually the second to last one, from last Friday), I had just updated to 2019.32, and at the time I was experimenting with a new set of sd cards in an Anker dual sd card adaptor. While for the most part it worked ok, it almost never seemed to remember where it was in an audio track over a power cycle. As of last Saturday, I put my old trusty ssd back in service, and since then it hasn't lost it's place once. So, for a better usb audio experience, if you have the ways and means, try an ssd.