Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REQUEST TO TESLA: CONTINUE USB MUSIC PLAYBACK ON CAR RESTART

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me USB playback on re-entry is improved. It works sometimes now. But still not perfect (for me).
Many times I find it playing the song I had been playing before, *but* it doesn't have the folder hierarchy loaded, so I have to re-navigate through the music folders once the current one is done playing. I am on 2019.50.6

When the numbers in a music folder (USB) are played it starts on top and then goes one down when finished, all good.
But when the end of the screen is reached, the screen does not scroll down with the actual song that is playing that moment.
Or am I the only one facing this issue?

You should probably discuss this in the proper thread (it sounds like a common problem that has an easy fix). Thread hijacks aren't cool. Of course, I shouldn't have made my post....

The topic was started by an earlier poster--something about an "iPod easter egg". Plus, my post is not a thread hijack at all, since I want to be able to play the music library stored on my phone. The streaming service provided with the car plays only dynamically compressed "Loudness Wars" files that trigger my tinnitus, plus the signal fades out when I go on trips in the countryside.

If you're going to reply, how about with a solution?

Resurrecting this thread. I just found out the hard way that resume from USB does not work even on the very latest firmware releases. This is pretty much a deal killer for me using USB for audio playback in the car, which is too bad, since the audio quality seems noticeably better compared to BT playback from my iPhone.

On a related but equally frustrating problem namely the fact that the USB drive reader app will not read album art Graphics within digital audio file directories but only embedded in MP3 metadata tags, I found a solution in a really good free program called mp3tag. Works extremely well for freeware. I'm going to send the guy some money because I could find no easy solution to this problem and this guy's freeware fixed it. I was really frustrated with the fact that iTunes would not consistently force album art into the metadata. One downside though is that after loading high-quality album art Graphics (often times 1500 by 1500 pixels and not the tiny thumbnails), it takes a lot longer to load the USB directory, but now all the albums have proper album art. I know that's probably not important to everybody but it bugs me to see that generic music note graphic all the time. Plus on a number of other applications like tablets running doubleTwist the album art is a lot better looking.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobC
Great contribution, @dfwatt, thanks! I'll try it out tomorrow. The Cover Art is an important part of an album, of the character and thoughts of the creators. Really sorry to see how the gorgeous covers of Vinyl records gave way to little CD booklets, and then to a postage stamp at most.

Can you embed cover images (in what format) into WAV, FLAC and other formats, or is it just MP3?

Can the Model 3 player display a large cover image?

Great contribution, @dfwatt, thanks! I'll try it out tomorrow. The Cover Art is an important part of an album, of the character and thoughts of the creators. Really sorry to see how the gorgeous covers of Vinyl records gave way to little CD booklets, and then to a postage stamp at most.

Can you embed cover images (in what format) into WAV, FLAC and other formats, or is it just MP3?

Can the Model 3 player display a large cover image?

Yes it can, and it can embed into Apple Lossless files which is what we use on all our music servers. They are great - bigger than any mp3 but way less than WAV files.

However, the newest software appears to contain a bug that creates a loading error. I can't get either car to load from a USB SSD drive that previously they would both load from, although I did get occasional loading errors. Now they are all the time.

Reminds me of the complaint that Tesla updates fix two problems, and create one. Arrrgh!

Resurrecting old thread.

I think Tesla has improved this in recent updates. My car reliably resumes to playing the same last song from USB now.

*BUT*... It doesn't pull up the folder again, so if I want to switch to a different folder, I need to go back to USB source and browse through the folders.
I am happy that song resume is better now, but wish it could also retain the same folder view after getting back in the car.

Resurrecting old thread.

I think Tesla has improved this in recent updates. My car reliably resumes to playing the same last song from USB now.

*BUT*... It doesn't pull up the folder again, so if I want to switch to a different folder, I need to go back to USB source and browse through the folders.
I am happy that song resume is better now, but wish it could also retain the same folder view after getting back in the car.

But will it play lossless files or are you restricted to only MP3?

Mine still doesn’t resume playback at least half of the time. Starting to really annoy me. Should be so simple to fix. Maybe we should all mass tweet Elon...
We need to organize a mass tweet/retweet to EM about this issue. I repeatedly reported this issue to support or tweeted EM since 2016. It’s now 2019 and it’s as bad as ever. Meanwhile there are all these little things people tweeted and got implemented.

Most of the time playback is resumed, but when it doesn't, it's always on certain songs. Because all the songs were encoded the same way I don't have any really thoughts on why some and not others. To resume playback the two choices are restart from the beginning or advance to the next song.