Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Requesting a new "project advisor"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My AC never worked correctly since the install. Tesla installed a SureStart but it wrecked havoc with the AC. The tech removed the SureStart the last time he was here and left without the AC working. He said it must be something wrong with the AC and I need to call an HVAC company to get it repaired. He didn't rewire it correctly after he removed the SureStart. I jerry rigged it with automotive connectors and wire per the schematic to get it working. That is the way it is working now (the install happened in June).

I (not Tesla) contacted SureStart to find out the problem. They said the SureStart isn't compatible with my reverse-run compressor.

I asked Tesla what they are going to do about this. They said they are going to remove the AC from my backup panel. There are 2 problems with this:

1) The only breaker in my backup panel is the 200 amp breaker for the house. My house is 250' from the solar/powerwalls/meter/gateway/backup panel with the power to my house running underground. I asked them for more details on how they were going to remove the AC breaker from the backup panel since there isn't one in there.

2) The contract I agreed to (and paid for) has the AC as part of the whole house backup. I've asked them what justification they have for removing it.

I'm still waiting for answers.

I am worried about this as well. How many Powerwalls do you have and what is the LRA on your compressor? According to Tesla since I have a LRA of 75 and 3 powerwalls I should not need a surestart. I am almost certain my a/c will not like the sure start.

I am worried about this as well. How many Powerwalls do you have and what is the LRA on your compressor? According to Tesla since I have a LRA of 75 and 3 powerwalls I should not need a surestart. I am almost certain my a/c will not like the sure start.
My compressor has a LRA of 130 and I have 2 Powerwalls. You should be OK although 75 could be borderline if anything else is going. In my case, the inside unit starts blowing air before the signal is sent to start the compressor which exasperates the problem.

My compressor will start if the command is given while the solar is producing. I can play with it and get it to start. The tricky part is my thermostat is computer controlled and it sends the command for the compressor to start when it damn well pleases (it does a self checkout before starting). Trying to time this within the small window between the Gateway commanding the solar to start producing and the command to shut down is tricky. The other problem is I have 2 stages and the compressor shuts down between stage switches. So if it tries to switch between high and low stages while the solar is off it shuts down. I get around this by forcing it to start in high stage and manually turn it off when the house is cold enough.

SureStart said the reverse run (low stage runs in the opposite direction of high stage) is new and they had never seen it before. This is BS. The reverse run compressor is basically obsolete now. Even if you do need a SureStart you may be OK. In fact, if it works with your compressor I'd press Tesla to install it since it will provide starting margin for times when there are other things drawing power.

Last edited:
We didn’t find out our HVAC would not be backed up until they were installing the roof. Our unit is over 20 years old. When I asked the fellows that installed our PWs if we were to replace our compressor what we should get he replied, “Any compressor with an LRA less than 60 amps.”

We called our HVAC team and they are looking into a Trane add-on kit to resolve the issue. Worried we’ll be charged for re-wiring from Tesla. Today is likely their last day on site.

Unlike the pleasure I had getting my Model 3, getting my Tesla Solar Roof project underway has been very stressful. Lots of delays and moving goalposts.

My original project advisor was promoted and I've been handed off three times in the six months since then. My second one was actually from the wrong department, she was very nice but she handled new construction, not re-roofing projects. I had a minor issue with my third advisor. There were some old asbestos flues in the attic, one was no longer used at all, the other lined the top of the water heater vent. Did my project advisor tell me these need to be abated before it was time to schedule the project? Nope. I subsequently had the asbestos abated and was then able to proceed. I didn't mind having to get that done as not much finding out until that was presented as a gating factor to getting permits. Then I got handed off to yet another, my current project advisor.

My current project advisor seems to show no interest in proactive and responsive support. He does not follow up as he says he will and he does not proactively inform me of changes. When I get notifications from the Tesla site that indicate I need to sign another contract due to changes in my pricing, I have to send email and leave voicemail messages to get an explanation, he's slow to respond. I actually wouldn't mind if their notifications would detail, "Our engineering team found this issue and so we've modified your project plan with X, Y and Z" but absent that, some outreach and professionalism seems like a reasonable expectation.

I specifically asked my project advisor to have someone from out in the field to walk me through any issues. He didn't follow up to let me know that someone was coming but a field project manager did show up. Nothing more major than taking the bird feeder hanging from the eaves was identified. Now, materials were dropped off at my house (which was another amusing drama) for my project to begin tear off of the old roof in a couple of days. How did I find out my project was "disqualified"? The delivery driver came back and told me his dispatcher told him to pick the materials back up. I asked him to hold off, it sounded like a mistake. I had to call the field project manager and my project advisor to find out what, if anything is going on. The field project manager referred me to someone who said maybe there were problems with dry rot ... somewhere. Then my project advisor said there was a problem with inadequate room between the bottom of the roof and where the awning cover frame (for corrugated fiberglass over the back deck) for the roof flashing. Yes, they wanted to cancel at the last minute because they weren't sure about the space for flashing after they've surveyed and reviewed the design multiple times.

So here I am. This project has grown protracted, disjointed and it now seems ambiguous as to whether it will ever be done. I've had trees removed and trimmed. Asbestos is abated. I've literally got multiple tons of materials for the sheathing and underlayment in my driveway (the tear-off of my old roof was supposed to start in a few days). All of my permits are in place. I've a deposit down for the gutters to be installed after the roof is done. My project advisor told me he'd get back to me about what needs to happen next and I haven't heard a word. Since he hasn't had the professionalism to tell me what we need to do to proceed, I've contacted Tesla support to request a new project advisor.

Unlike the pleasure I had getting my Model 3, getting my Tesla Solar Roof project underway has been very stressful. Lots of delays and moving goalposts.

My original project advisor was promoted and I've been handed off three times in the six months since then. My second one was actually from the wrong department, she was very nice but she handled new construction, not re-roofing projects. I had a minor issue with my third advisor. There were some old asbestos flues in the attic, one was no longer used at all, the other lined the top of the water heater vent. Did my project advisor tell me these need to be abated before it was time to schedule the project? Nope. I subsequently had the asbestos abated and was then able to proceed. I didn't mind having to get that done as not much finding out until that was presented as a gating factor to getting permits. Then I got handed off to yet another, my current project advisor.

My current project advisor seems to show no interest in proactive and responsive support. He does not follow up as he says he will and he does not proactively inform me of changes. When I get notifications from the Tesla site that indicate I need to sign another contract due to changes in my pricing, I have to send email and leave voicemail messages to get an explanation, he's slow to respond. I actually wouldn't mind if their notifications would detail, "Our engineering team found this issue and so we've modified your project plan with X, Y and Z" but absent that, some outreach and professionalism seems like a reasonable expectation.

I specifically asked my project advisor to have someone from out in the field to walk me through any issues. He didn't follow up to let me know that someone was coming but a field project manager did show up. Nothing more major than taking the bird feeder hanging from the eaves was identified. Now, materials were dropped off at my house (which was another amusing drama) for my project to begin tear off of the old roof in a couple of days. How did I find out my project was "disqualified"? The delivery driver came back and told me his dispatcher told him to pick the materials back up. I asked him to hold off, it sounded like a mistake. I had to call the field project manager and my project advisor to find out what, if anything is going on. The field project manager referred me to someone who said maybe there were problems with dry rot ... somewhere. Then my project advisor said there was a problem with inadequate room between the bottom of the roof and where the awning cover frame (for corrugated fiberglass over the back deck) for the roof flashing. Yes, they wanted to cancel at the last minute because they weren't sure about the space for flashing after they've surveyed and reviewed the design multiple times.

So here I am. This project has grown protracted, disjointed and it now seems ambiguous as to whether it will ever be done. I've had trees removed and trimmed. Asbestos is abated. I've literally got multiple tons of materials for the sheathing and underlayment in my driveway (the tear-off of my old roof was supposed to start in a few days). All of my permits are in place. I've a deposit down for the gutters to be installed after the roof is done. My project advisor told me he'd get back to me about what needs to happen next and I haven't heard a word. Since he hasn't had the professionalism to tell me what we need to do to proceed, I've contacted Tesla support to request a new project advisor.

Welcome to TMC, energy products section. This is a pretty unfortunate turn of events, and it sounds like you have been pretty patient during the entire process. I havent read of anyone here being successful in requesting a new advisor (I myself was unsuccessful when I tried to get a new one due to lack of response on some questions I had).

Mine ended up being a "little" more responsive after I tried to escalate a request to get a different one, so I am not sure if my request was filtered back to him, or what. Hopefully you can get installed, as it sounds like that is still the resolution you would like. You have already had to spend money "prepping" (abatement, trees, etc), so hopefully it works out.

I hope you decide to stay a while with us here in this section. I, for one, would love to hear whatever resolution you end up getting to.

I certainly feel for you... (been there)

My general assumption has been that they have too few personnel to handle the demand they are facing. And the knowledge base (and knowledge of your specific project) of those that are involved are not what they "should be", along with (I assume) rapid turnover of positions due to people moving on to other positions. There were countless times when I was contacted out of the blue about an update (or on my request) that I knew was incorrect about my project. And at times when I did not know but just accepted what was stated, later found out was incorrect and ended doing something else. Etc. Overall, not fun or reassuring during the whole thing (mostly after contract and prior to real installation). The install process was actually much better with regard to responsiveness and quality of service, but could still have been better.

In the end, you need to decide if this is really what you want to pursue at this time in that you need to perform much self-advocacy for your project than would likely want to do in other similar remodel-like projects. Being here at TMC and learning others experience as well as getting recs for unclear circumstances ultimately helps get you through the "process".

Worst case, you can consider holding off for awhile with your project until Tesla gets a better handle on the demand and improves their front line customer service.

Wish I had a better answer to your question...BUT, I do not think asking for a new project advisor is really going to get the change you want.

Thanks for the responses, I contacted support and asked to have the project advisor supervisor call me back. If I don't hear back in the next day or so, I'll try again and will have to gut check with myself if Tesla's energy division is really worth this stress of constantly being surprised and dealing with a project advisor who doesn't seem to care about my project's progress and success.

I understand your frustration, I think the Solar Roof team is basically understaffed. I had 4 project advisors since I placed my order in late July 2020. The first one is supposed to be a senior advisor but he never responded to email or voicemail, most days his voice mailbox was full to take new messages. The trick was to keep calling until he finally picked up the phone, he is probably way too busy and operates in a reactive mode. I got transitioned to different advisors as the project progresses and the current one I have seems to be most responsive, though she still does not reply email but she would call back and she will pick up her phone more than 75% of the time. I got to think how much workload she has since every time I talk to her on the phone she seems to have no clue who I am though she would politely go look up the project. If I were you, I would keep calling your current advisor, do not leave voicemail, that is useless, but call every 30 minutes or so and hope he/she is between calls and picks up. The advisors are not evil or bad, just overloaded. If there is an issue with your roof then there is an issue, you just have to find out if there are ways to get around it. Worst case is to get a new roof and have panels instead, may not be ideal but it is what it is. I hope things work out for you, I never thought it would happen, but 7 months after I placed my order, they are pounding and drilling on my roof now. It's been a long process but if you want it you will eventually get something.

Just a quick update: Yes, it's apparent that they are understaffed. As @jjrandorin found, escalating my concerns helped; my project advisor has be en more responsive since then. I've ended up removing a portion of the structure over my back deck, I built a bunch of cribbing to support it and now the roof line they were concerned about has clearance. It may change the gutter design if I can't rebuild the deck covering structure back to where it was, the old roof line drained onto slanted the deck covering and down to gutters on the low side. In the meantime, I'll speak with a field project manager shortly but in the meantime, I'm back on the schedule for the tear off and underlayment week after next!

Just a quick update: Yes, it's apparent that they are understaffed. As @jjrandorin found, escalating my concerns helped; my project advisor has be en more responsive since then. I've ended up removing a portion of the structure over my back deck, I built a bunch of cribbing to support it and now the roof line they were concerned about has clearance. It may change the gutter design if I can't rebuild the deck covering structure back to where it was, the old roof line drained onto slanted the deck covering and down to gutters on the low side. In the meantime, I'll speak with a field project manager shortly but in the meantime, I'm back on the schedule for the tear off and underlayment week after next!
New update: the Tesla crew has been here all week putting up my roof and the powerwalls. The field manager and crew lead have been great, very proactive and communicative. My project advisor is still difficult to reach, like I had questions about making the payments and the dude is unreachable... you'd think they'd at least want money :)

Reactions: jjrandorin
New update: the Tesla crew has been here all week putting up my roof and the powerwalls. The field manager and crew lead have been great, very proactive and communicative. My project advisor is still difficult to reach, like I had questions about making the payments and the dude is unreachable... you'd think they'd at least want money :)

Thanks for circling back and letting us know! I have said this a few different times, but, in general, the people who tesla has installing the product usually do a really good job. There are exceptions.. the experience of @mkspeedr is one such exception we have seen here recently, but "in general" the install crews do a really good job.

Its all the stuff around that from people "in the office" that tends to be "average to awful", and I believe that might be due to workload, rather than apathy, in most cases anyway.

In any case, congratulations for being able to push it forward! light at the end of the tunnel and all that, lol.

Our experience from last fall was that someone from a payment department will reach out to you about arrangements. Can’t recall if we checked email or text as communication method on our account. Advisor once job install is complete is no longer really in the loop. Same goes for any subsequent maintenace issues like drywall for example as there’s a different group that handles after installation issues keeping the advisors solely focused on seeing installs from design through last day of install. There’s also a separate Powerwall hotline number should there ever be an issue at that end.

Depending on how busy the payment department is it could take a few days. We assumed there was certain paperwork that had to reach them before they reached out for $s.

Our experience from last fall was that someone from a payment department will reach out to you about arrangements. Can’t recall if we checked email or text as communication method on our account. Advisor once job install is complete is no longer really in the loop. Same goes for any subsequent maintenace issues like drywall for example as there’s a different group that handles after installation issues keeping the advisors solely focused on seeing installs from design through last day of install. There’s also a separate Powerwall hotline number should there ever be an issue at that end.

Depending on how busy the payment department is it could take a few days.
Thanks, this is good to know. I was expecting them to ask for money at the start, the agreement says to pay half at the onset and half after everything passes. So far, I've not paid anything beyond my initial deposit. Another thread there's mention of the permission to operate (PTO) from PG&E not going forward until Tesla gets paid, so at some point soon I imagine that bill will come :)

Thanks, this is good to know. I was expecting them to ask for money at the start, the agreement says to pay half at the onset and half after everything passes. So far, I've not paid anything beyond my initial deposit. Another thread there's mention of the permission to operate (PTO) from PG&E not going forward until Tesla gets paid, so at some point soon I imagine that bill will come :)
I received a text and an email when Tesla was ready to accept payment. I'm pretty sure in my case, the request for payment was triggered by Tesla learning that my county electrical inspection had passed. That happened in the final week of my install while a crew was finishing up the non-PV parts of my roof. When it comes time to pay, you may have more options (like splitting between credit cards or making partial payments) if you call the billing department directly and work with a person there.

I received a text and an email when Tesla was ready to accept payment. I'm pretty sure in my case, the request for payment was triggered by Tesla learning that my county electrical inspection had passed. That happened in the final week of my install while a crew was finishing up the non-PV parts of my roof. When it comes time to pay, you may have more options (like splitting between credit cards or making partial payments) if you call the billing department directly and work with a person there.
Thanks @trautmane2, here we are 48 hours after the inspector signed off on my system and the bill arrived :) I'll follow his advice to reach the billing dept to split my payment across two airline milage cards but I'd like to know that we're closer to PTO before ponying up.