Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Requesting advice on removing road acquired spots off of ceramic/PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have PPF and fresh but fully cured Adam's Advanced Graphene coating. After a drive today, I noticed that there were about a dozen spots in front of the car. They do not look like tar. They could be bird dropping but I am not sure. Based on their roundish shape, they were in liquid form when they contacted the car.

I used some waterless detail spray and was able to remove them with a bit of rubbing, or so I thought. Even though they were no longer visible to my eyes under the garage shop lights, they are still there.

As you might know, Adam's coatings have a UV tracer. Under UV, all those spots light up brighter than the graphene ceramic coating, as if the spots were never removed. I washed the area with soap, it made no difference. Neither did 50% IPA, 50/50 vinegar, or Goo Gone. Whatever it is, I don't want it to etch into the coating or PPF.

What can I use to try to remove these spots without harming the ceramic coating or PPF? I want to use only what is necessary to remove the spots, in escalating aggressiveness. It's hard to find the right solvent not knowing what the spots are. The only clue is that they fluoresce under UV. What else is safe to try with PPF while trying to preserve the ceramic coating.

I would post photos, but since they are no longer visible, I would have to see if I can capture them on camera while fluorescing under UV.

I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

you can try and use some clay bar if done lightly it wont remove the coating otherwise since its ppf you can boil some water let it cool for a minute then dip a towel and let it sit on the spots and see if it removes it

you can try and use some clay bar if done lightly it wont remove the coating otherwise since its ppf you can boil some water let it cool for a minute then dip a towel and let it sit on the spots and see if it removes it

The surface is perfectly smooth. I did spot-try clay, but it made no difference. I tried heat too, nothing.

So far, waterless detailer, soap, IPA, Goo Gone, Simple Green, Vinegar 50/50 have not worked. I tried Goof Off on one of the spots. It did work, but it also removed the UV reactivity, which I take to mean that it's removed at least in part the ceramic coating.

Compare the images below. The spots are only visible under UV. Btw, the edges are fluorescing brightly because of the accumulation of the graphene ceramic coating.

PXL_20230414_040801997.jpg

PXL_20230414_040837224.jpg

PXL_20230414_045045016.jpg

PXL_20230414_045115401.jpg

If they are only visible under UV light, don’t worry about them. I just coated my new Y last week (Adam’s Advanced as well) and didn’t even use the UV light to check as it wasn’t my first time. They are probably just high spots in the coating and will not cause any harm.

Reactions: Yelobird
Could just be the adhesion breaking down (releasing) under the PPF. Consider a light heat application (hair dryer) and finger rub. As you can’t see it I would just forget it unless you plan to attend many UV rave parties.

If they are only visible under UV light, don’t worry about them. I just coated my new Y last week (Adam’s Advanced as well) and didn’t even use the UV light to check as it wasn’t my first time. They are probably just high spots in the coating and will not cause any harm.

They are not high spots for two reasons--I checked the car with UV after applying and I first discovered them after a outing. Initially, they looked like bird droppings or some sort of fall out under natural light. After cleaning off what I can see, I used the UV to see the impact to the coating from my cleaning. That was when I discovered the remanence. I would otherwise just leave them, but since they are only in the coating for now, I want to prevent them from etching deeper and into the PPF under the sun.

Could just be the adhesion breaking down (releasing) under the PPF. Consider a light heat application (hair dryer) and finger rub. As you can’t see it I would just forget it unless you plan to attend many UV rave parties.

See my comments above--they are not adhesive releasing. They originated on top of the coating. After cleaning, they remained on the coating. Also, adhesive would not react to UV like that. As I wrote above, I was able to wipe one off using Goof Off. This indicated that it was in the coating, not PPF. As above, I just want to make sure that it does not continue to etch into the PPF.

They are not high spots for two reasons--I checked the car with UV after applying and I first discovered them after a outing. Initially, they looked like bird droppings or some sort of fall out under natural light. After cleaning off what I can see, I used the UV to see the impact to the coating from my cleaning. That was when I discovered the remanence. I would otherwise just leave them, but since they are only in the coating for now, I want to prevent them from etching deeper and into the PPF under the sun.

See my comments above--they are not adhesive releasing. They originated on top of the coating. After cleaning, they remained on the coating. Also, adhesive would not react to UV like that. As I wrote above, I was able to wipe one off using Goof Off. This indicated that it was in the coating, not PPF. As above, I just want to make sure that it does not continue to etch into the PPF.
Then best to question the suppliers of the coating and PPF. As you don’t know what it is we are all simply guessing.

Reactions: snovvman
Then best to question the suppliers of the coating and PPF. As you don’t know what it is we are all simply guessing.
Agree with this. I wouldn't use any more solvents or use heat on it. PPF installers may not warranty the PPF it it's damaged by these things. You paid good money I'm sure to have it installed. Before anything else I would get their opinion on this.