Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Requesting no detail at delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered a brand new White/White P3D and when I take delivery of it, I don't want the service center to peel off any of the protective covers or even wash the car. Have any of you made a similar request? Was it honored?

I'll be picking up from the Jacksonville, FL center.

Ordered a brand new White/White P3D and when I take delivery of it, I don't want the service center to peel off any of the protective covers or even wash the car. Have any of you made a similar request? Was it honored?

Interesting question. It won't hurt to ask that's for sure. Not sure if they will listen or not. Good luck!

First, I don't think Teslas are delivered with the protective coating you see on other makes. Second, you really want them to wash the car so you can inspect it thoroughly to note any issues in a due bill.
i think you are right i have seen a bunch of car carries, covered, and open ones. no covering on them, so they are probably off the car before you even request it. If they were ever on the car

edit: nvm, you said protective coating, i thought like plastic :p

I don't want them to wash the car and swirl it up. I'm going to be immediately getting PPF applied to the entire front end and will be prepping the paint to ceramic coat myself. Not having them wash the car will minimize my work.

Hmm, when I inquired with my detailer about this exact same thing, they said not to worry and that they are going to perform a paint correction regardless since Teslas can have paint issues straight from the factory. They actually advised me to let Tesla clean it so I can more easily see any major defects, and then to drive it a day or two before bringing it to them.

Apparently they've had issues where their customers have dropped off a Tesla immediately after delivery, and then after picking it up the customer noticed something majorly wrong with the car where Tesla had to replace the vehicle, thus completely wasting the customer's money spent on the PPF, ceramic coating, tint, etc since the original car was returned. Tesla obviously won't pay you back for anything you've done to the vehicle like that nor will they reimburse you for the hassle.

This shop specializes in Teslas plus they detail a lot of incredibly high end cars, and I've known the owner for many years, so I tend to trust that they know what they are talking about...

Keep in mind that they said this ONLY applies to Teslas. Any other manufacturer and they said to bring it to them straight from the factory.

Reactions: jmcmill
This must be one of the most common request:

- Please, do not make holes to the front bumper for the license plate..

- Oh. Sorry....

Unless things have changed, they never make holes in the front bumper for the license plate. Instead, they install a bracket that extends under the bumper to a couple premade threaded screw holes, and the middle section of the bracket is held on to the actual bumper leading edge with some VHB tape(super sticky, meant to be permanent unless intentionally removed). I understand it is possible but unpleasant to get the bracket off once its been installed, but done carefully won't screw up the paint.

I'm one of those people.

This is a common request for BMWs (although I never made it, a BMW dealer would honor it if you asked), but I dont think teslas ever even have that plastic protective coating you are talking about on them. They process so many cars at the delivery center that they might tell you they will do this, but no idea if they will actually remember to do it.

I would still make the request to your delivery agent, but expect that tesla will not get it correct.... and that on a new tesla it wont matter as people said. You really want to take a good look at the car, unlike maybe a BMW / Mercedes, its not just swirls you are looking for.

As someone else said, any detailers that do a lot of teslas will tell you that they need paint correction right from the factory, and some come with flaws that the owner will want fixed at a body shop. Up to you, but I would let them wash it and deal with the paint correction yourself later.

I passed 2 trailers of brand new Teslas the other day and they didn't have the protective plastic covers on them. Well, one Model 3 had blue plastic partially covering the taillights. I've been seeing a lot of Teslas being transported the past few days on I-5 North in the Elk Grove area..

Reactions: puppers
Tesla at one time would agree to skip the new car prep if you signed a waiver/release to hold them harmless for any paint/finish defects. Now you just get the car prepped for delivery (all protective plastic removed). There will be paint defects---all new cars have some. Just take your car to your detailer for full correction and protection.

FWIW when I picked up my 2018 P3D+ last year at the Fremont delivery center, my detailing pro came along, looked it over, then drove it back to his shop where he worked his magic. He was the 1st to drive it. All good.

I was worried about the same thing but I spent $500 on paint correction and they fixed everything. I think you can ask Tesla to just wash the car but not buff it or apply a coat of wax to it. They may ask you to sign a release of liability. I'm not sure if they still do that and I suspect it's unique to each delivery center.

You can ask, and they might honor it but in the past you had to sign an agreement that they were no loner responsible for any paint/body defects. (Since they can't verify the condition of the car when it was turned over to you.)