Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation expiration??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reserved fairly early on 3/31, and I'm wondering... does anyone know how long we have to configure/purchase after the model 3 actually becomes available for order?? Can we hold our reservation for any amount of time?

I don't know if there is any particular timeframe, but based on what I recall from people with the X is that when it's time to configure you just don't do anything, essentially deferring. Many people wanted to actually see one in person and take a test drive before committing. I would assume things would be similar for the 3. Keep in mind, if you defer to later date, when/if you finally decide to order, who knows when you will get placed back in line. You will essentially lose your place. You wouldn't move all the way to the back but could slide a bit depending on your desired configuration.

The original reservation agreement stated:

"If you do not wish to enter into a Purchase Agreement at the time that you are contacted by Tesla, you have the option to relinquish your reservation sequence position and defer to a later position to be determined by us (only one deferral is permitted). If you do not communicate your decision to us within ten (10) days of notification to place your order, you will automatically be granted your one deferral and we will defer your reservation position."

However, like @SureValla said, they seem to have changed the terms and deferrals are no longer mentioned in the reservation agreement.

Why reserve a car you can't afford? A base model should be approximately $500 per month. Factor in gas savings and it shouldn't cost much more than a new, well-optioned Honda Civic. And that's not including the tax credit.

If that's too steep then you should rearrange priorities.
I don't see any where, implied or otherwise, that the OP was asking because "they couldn't afford the car". Bit presumptuous of you to jump to that conclusion. There could be myriad of reasons one would potentially defer their reservation.

I don't see any where, implied or otherwise, that the OP was asking because "they couldn't afford the car". Bit presumptuous of you to jump to that conclusion. There could be myriad of reasons one would potentially defer their reservation.

Yeah, I imagine there were a number of people who made certain plans around the initial timetable they were given. Some may have been entering a lease or planning for the car financially. Of course, if you ever plan anything by Tesla's calendar you're setting yourself up for problems down the road.

My spot in the queue is probably between 210K and 220K (didn't know wife would support it so I didn't bite that night), I'm in the east, and I don't plan on maxing out the specs, so I figure I have some time to wait if I needed. Luckily I don't lease and one vehicle is due for replacement so my timetable looks good regardless.

Why reserve a car you can't afford? A base model should be approximately $500 per month. Factor in gas savings and it shouldn't cost much more than a new, well-optioned Honda Civic. And that's not including the tax credit.

That's quite the presumptuous statement, in more than one way. There are plenty of reasons why one would have wanted to reserve the Model 3 ASAP, one being to take advantage of the very tax credit that you mentioned in your post. Reservations were being made for a car which most people assumed they would not have access to configure for at least two years, and perhaps even longer based on Tesla Motor's track record. With that date potentially moving up, you can just browse this forum and see tons of reasons why someone might want to defer their reservation. As the poster above me stated, some people might have planned their Model 3 purchase around a lease agreement or car payment ending. Some people want to be able to buy the car with cash and are setting themselves up financially to do so. Some people are using the time to configure to save up for additional options, which by the way have not even been released yet. Not everyone wants a base model 3, so many people are going to have to do some tradeoff. And yes, some people might have reserved just because they were interested in potentially owning the car and decided to put in for it hoping that their finances would be in order by the time configuration comes. At the end of the day, this is a completely refundable $1000 reservation for one of the first compelling and "affordable" mass produced EVs on the market. If someone who reserves ends up not being able to afford the car that they want when it comes time to configure and they end up deferring or getting a refund... who cares?

Reactions: jsrawa
lol it has nothing to do with money - I'm actually planning on getting the fully loaded version. I was just thinking about getting into a new lease soon, just to hold me over... and I don't want to get locked into a 3 year agreement in the midst of my model 3 being delivered...

Thank you to everyone with a valid answer ;)

Reactions: Tiberius
That's quite the presumptuous statement, in more than one way. There are plenty of reasons why one would have wanted to reserve the Model 3 ASAP, one being to take advantage of the very tax credit that you mentioned in your post. Reservations were being made for a car which most people assumed they would not have access to configure for at least two years, and perhaps even longer based on Tesla Motor's track record. With that date potentially moving up, you can just browse this forum and see tons of reasons why someone might want to defer their reservation. As the poster above me stated, some people might have planned their Model 3 purchase around a lease agreement or car payment ending. Some people want to be able to buy the car with cash and are setting themselves up financially to do so. Some people are using the time to configure to save up for additional options, which by the way have not even been released yet. Not everyone wants a base model 3, so many people are going to have to do some tradeoff. And yes, some people might have reserved just because they were interested in potentially owning the car and decided to put in for it hoping that their finances would be in order by the time configuration comes. At the end of the day, this is a completely refundable $1000 reservation for one of the first compelling and "affordable" mass produced EVs on the market. If someone who reserves ends up not being able to afford the car that they want when it comes time to configure and they end up deferring or getting a refund... who cares?

Snoozers!! TLDR

• Funny
Reactions: SureValla

That depends on how much you drive, how reliable the 3 is, and whether or not Tesla continues their trend of relatively expensive service/parts. If the 3 is reliable and Tesla service/parts aligns with the rest of the market, someone who drives 25k miles/year is going to see a substantial difference in fuel costs between the two, possibly enough to bridge the gap between the MSRP of a Touring Civic and a base 3.

Yeah, I imagine there were a number of people who made certain plans around the initial timetable they were given. Some may have been entering a lease or planning for the car financially. Of course, if you ever plan anything by Tesla's calendar you're setting yourself up for problems down the road.

My spot in the queue is probably between 210K and 220K (didn't know wife would support it so I didn't bite that night), I'm in the east, and I don't plan on maxing out the specs, so I figure I have some time to wait if I needed. Luckily I don't lease and one vehicle is due for replacement so my timetable looks good regardless.
timetables are so different for everyone and all within reason. I hope elon lets us all have our cake and eat it too. i'm doing the "quarterly save 3k plan" till June 1,2018 for my model 3. waiting is agony though