Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Fee Refund Request

Who thinks the UK reservation fee was worthwhile from a customer perspective?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As mentioned, everyone has their own right to feel and take action as they see appropriate...

Maybe, if we all acted together, it could possibly make a difference, but no one should be criticised for something that is clearly the fault of Tesla.

I am sure like a lot of us, it is venting frustration and taking action that they feel appropriate.
I would very much like Tesla to know how frustrated i am but my opinion is nothing i can do will help make things quicker.
I will however, vent my frustration to Tesla when i go to pick up the car and will try at least and get some compensation, even if it is only Super Charger miles... or maybe just an apology

As mentioned, everyone has their own right to feel and take action as they see appropriate...

Maybe, if we all acted together, it could possibly make a difference, but no one should be criticised for something that is clearly the fault of Tesla.

I am sure like a lot of us, it is venting frustration and taking action that they feel appropriate.
I would very much like Tesla to know how frustrated i am but my opinion is nothing i can do will help make things quicker.
I will however, vent my frustration to Tesla when i go to pick up the car and will try at least and get some compensation, even if it is only Super Charger miles... or maybe just an apology
Unfortunately I doubt you will get anything, the people that will hand the car over to you will have no power to do so. You might get an apology though :)

Just think of the suspense, the thrills, the agony, the comradery, the intrigue, the passion and the fun that you've had over the last 3 years and all that its cost you is the ROI on £1000. Its much better value than the Netflix, Primes and Skys of this world and So much more entertaining!! :)

Yes and that was just the worry of whether you will get the car or your £1000 back, neither of which have shown up yet for most!

• Helpful
Reactions: Keeper and RjbT3

I'm trying to think of a more worthless cause, but struggling.

I agree with nearly all the comments here, even @Keeper 's take on it!

Just to clarify, I am not cancelling my order or giving up. I am merely asking Tesla to return my additional £1000 while I wait for my car to materialise.

They have been holding on to it despite their false promises. I understand that circumstances changed (no build to order procedure anymore) but they should have communicated this much earlier.

Also, it's not about gaining £1000 for a few weeks/months it's the principal. Reservation holders are actually being penalised with no recognition of this by Tesla.

If someone offered me a completely free no strings attached £1000 loan for a minimum of 1 month (max of 3) I would most certainly take it. Anyone would be mad not to. I'd turn it into a profit for sure. I can think of 1/2 dozen ways to varying degrees.

We should all be thankful that a small US startup is even bothering to sell these cars in the UK. They are making way more effort than any other manufacturer to get desirable EVs onto our roads. Easy to lose sight of the bigger picture when whinging about things like this. You could always cancel and pre-order a VW ID.3. Any idea when you would get that delivered?

• Funny
Reactions: Rob R and RjbT3
I reckon this pointless exercise is only going to waste time and potentially delay your delivery even more. You are just one of thousands of us with a reservation who don't yet have a car to show for it. You are not the chosen one!
Apart from @Peteski of course.

Haha. Your response is the most unsurprising of all. If Tesla took your car and drove it into a pond you would still try to defend them!

Besides, on a more serious note, you haven't even confirmed your order (as of less than a month ago by your own admission) so to count yourself amoungst the "thousands of us with a reservation who don't yet have a car to show for it" is pretty ridiculous. You don't even want your car yet! :confused:o_O

• Disagree
Reactions: ACarneiro
Apart from @Peteski of course.

Haha. Your response is the most unsurprising of all. If Tesla took your car and drove it into a pond you would still try to defend them!

Besides, on a more serious note, you haven't even confirmed your order (as of less than a month ago by your own admission) so to count yourself amoungst the "thousands of us with a reservation who don't yet have a car to show for it" is pretty ridiculous. You don't even want your car yet! :confused:o_O

I do have a reservation, but I wasn't exactly counting myself in the thousands of other reservation holders who are desperately waiting for delivery. My own delivery situation is pretty irrelevant to this discussion. Besides my delivery preference has changed. When I ordered in May I would have happily taken delivery in June, but then I changed my mind once they started messing around with prices and specs. At that point I realised an early delivery was not actually a good idea and sure enough all those who took delivery of a P3+ paid well over the odds for it.

As for me being a massive Tesla fanboy, you obviously don't read my comments about the farce of FSD. But seeing as we are now into stereotyping you are just coming across as Victor Meldrew here.

• Funny
Reactions: RjbT3
Regardless of who is right or wrong I wish you good luck in getting a prompt refund on your deposit.

Tesla had £12k of deposits since April 2019 (3x £4k on different cars - since I kept on changing my mind :oops:). To date I've only had £4k back and the other £4k supposedly went through months ago and I have asked for them to investigate where this has gone.

Once it's all safely back in my account I'll be writing a stern letter to Tesla to explain why it has taken 4 months to issue a refund.

• Informative
As for me being a massive Tesla fanboy, you obviously don't read my comments about the farce of FSD. But seeing as we are now into stereotyping you are just coming across as Victor Meldrew here.

On the contrary, I do read your comments about FSD and I find them quite useful. They are a leveler for sure. I watched that entire autonomy day presentation too. I didn't think I'd stick with it but I was fascinated.

That said, I'm probably sticking with my FSD order. I chop and change my mind on this all the time. I'm still not sure which way I will go when the time finally comes to make the choice.

Your post really made me laugh though! My wife calls me Victor for that very reason!! I'm going to tell her you did too!

Mind you, she does mainly because I complain to businesses a lot. But I only complain when there is reason to and am much more polite than Victor when I do. She does admit that most of the time it is constructive and nearly all the time it's worth it either financially or by improving poor service.

Based on this thread I can barely imagine your disappointment when you realise you've been shafted out of £6k by ordering FSD!
Yeah. And it would probably be due to EU or UK regulators and I would join a lobbyist group or something to effect faster changes in the law! Proper complaining!

In fact I'd like to do this anyway, anyone have any ideas? Is there one already?

I don't expect FSD to be worth the £6k over the next 24 months, but 2 years from now? My real hesitation is around whether or not Tesla will actually charge more than £6k at that point. I do think 3 years from now it will be much, much better than it is today.

It's still a LOT of money for something that will take 3 years to become useful. Hmmmm

No data to the contrary but I do expect reservation holders are being prioritised, just not in the way you expect them to be. According to your tracking spreadsheet, apart from @TinyTim who has taken delivery, everyone else with 19" sport wheels are still waiting. Cars are not being built-to-order so your reservation fee was a lottery ticket.

I do understand your sentiment and as a day 2 reservation holder it was immensely disappointing not to have had access to a pre-order scheme or at least told what cars they were building for first round delivery so we could maintain our priority delivery.

However, the reality is Tesla are burning huge amounts of money and therefore everything they do to ensure survival, longevity and quality must be a priority to them. This position does not always align to how we as reservation holders would like, but a couple of months additional wait while still being in a position where your M3 will still be a rare site on the streets is for me not worth the request.

It is disappointing that the level of communication from Tesla to us all is so poor and for me that is where the complaints should be directed at management in the UK.

I did not know that. I thought in the states it kind of worked out better, being a domestic market. But I suppose that was an assumption.
Yes.I am unsure I'll get it refunded too. Judging by the experience so far I don't expect it to be quick and easy. I wonder if anyone else has experience of reservation refunds? I appreciate this may be different as I have an active order in place.

I definitely won't be cancelling my order, especially if I have to pay another£2k while I wait for a refund. That would be foolish.
My understanding, which may be inaccurate, is that the $35,000 Tesla didn't come out initially. It took some time for it to appear. In the meantime Tesla sold higher specced versions (that no one who reserved knew would exist) and anyone who reserved originally based on the promise of a $35,000 version of it either had to stump up the extra cash to get the more expensive versions that were initially released, or carry on waiting. In the meantime others who were prepared to pay the premium got their cars.

So basically putting a reservation down didn't buy you a place in a queue or anything like that, it just bought you onto a queue with a bunch of other people who wanted the spec that they were shown when they reserved. That queue moved independantly of the actual build queue where someone could reserve much later, or not at all if they were prepared to spend more, and get their cars while reservation holders continued to wait.

• Informative
Reactions: Keeper and RjbT3