Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Gifting / Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question that hopefully someone here has the answer to.

I placed the order under my name but my parents are going to be paying for the car. I was in contact with Tesla and they stated that as long as they are a secondary/alternate contact, it *should* work if they cut the check. Does anyone know personally if this works?

I fear that if I receive cash instead of my parents paying Tesla directly, gift taxes will trigger.

I have a question that hopefully someone here has the answer to.

I placed the order under my name but my parents are going to be paying for the car. I was in contact with Tesla and they stated that as long as they are a secondary/alternate contact, it *should* work if they cut the check. Does anyone know personally if this works?

I fear that if I receive cash instead of my parents paying Tesla directly, gift taxes will trigger.
Do your parents have a problem with issuing a check to Tesla? Will they be registering the car under their names as well? In other words, they'll be the official owners but they're letting you use the car?

Everyone should have read that it's NON TRANSFERRABLE when they reserved, why would that be different today? If it's a close family member I'm sure you'll be fine otherwise you shouldn't have expected to be able to transfer it. If someone else wants a 3 they should have to wait patiently like all of us did and are after placing our reservation.

Do your parents have a problem with issuing a check to Tesla? Will they be registering the car under their names as well? In other words, they'll be the official owners but they're letting you use the car?

My parents have no issue writing a check to Tesla but I just want to be sure they are allowed to. I will the official owner on paper (but used more like a family car). I get an EV tax credit from my employer so at a bare minimum it will be registered to me. Most likely my parents will also have their names registered under the car.