Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reserved a Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The M3 reservations bankrolled the company, the money wasn't protected in any way
This specific point and the fact that these deposits likely had no protection was the main reason I couldn't entertain a Roadster reservation.

I still get much the same feeling about FSD, that the promises and hype well out performed the product - which without a fight could well turn out to be a 'lost deposit' ahead of undeliverable promises.

The picture wasn't improved any by the fact that when I was shopping, the spec of EAP and FSD read identically (at least in terms of delivered functions with the car) but Tesla were happy to take £££s in return for an invoice saying you had FSD. iirc there was a short period were it looked like EAP purchases would get free upgrade to FSD. All playing fast and loose with words defined (and re-defined) by Tesla.

It is such a good thing that the cars drive so well, but as mentioned above, you can't beat physics. When I drove Roadster MK1 it was stunningly rapid accelerating, but imo kinda scarey to drive, compared with my Elise which was just pure fun. I think the focus on acceleration will need rethinking as EV's evolve, and certainly the new Roadster will need to at least feel light and agile if it's to be more than automotive jewelry.

Reactions: Beady3647
@Battpower There, you said it: Lotus.

Now here's a thing. Lotus already produce an electric hypercar called the Evija and it still weighs 1680kg. Only twice as much as a typical Elise... So, like you, I will be keeping mine; although I do wince at the road tax (£280) and fuel cost (£50 a tank).. given I barely drive it (and not at all since getting the M3, but the weather has something to do with that).

Last edited:
Reactions: Battpower
Yes, I know it is essentially a Model S Plaid in a pretty frock, but I think this is the only thing left in my Bucket List.

The Roadster 2.0 is a totally different beast. To hit the 600 mile EPA target in a car smaller than the 3 Tesla will need to fit a 200kWh pack into it.

If you have the cash to splash 100% go for it. When it makes production it'll be by far the most advanced EV on the road.

The Roadster 2.0 is a totally different beast. To hit the 600 mile EPA target in a car smaller than the 3 Tesla will need to fit a 200kWh pack into it.

If you have the cash to splash 100% go for it. When it makes production it'll be by far the most advanced EV on the road.
I'm 70. If I knew that my SIPP only needed to last 15 years then I'd go for it.
But it might have to last 30 years.
That is the dilemma of the SIPP generation...well, one of them.
A global financial meltdown is another.

Reactions: kelvin 660