Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retractable tonneau cover... still going to have solar panels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't help but think they've abandoned the solar power generating aspect of the retractable tonneau cover.

Does anyone else agree? Haven't heard anything about it since Elon stood on it during the "Jay Leno's Garage" episode. All we've seen are open beds and solid black covers since then - and zero mentions of solar.

Tesla were reticent to include solar roofs on vehicles in years gone by, and seeing the solar tonneau on the Cybertruck was a welcome change. But... perhaps it is gone again. That said, a famous Tesla tenet is that final production vehicles are always better than the prototypes. I guess I really don't know :(

Personally, I think there is a very slim chance of it having one as it will add so so little range on such a large battery (100-150 kWh?) and 400+Wh/mi car. It really only keep the 12v topped off and potentially run a venting fan. I just don't see it. Perhaps (likely) there is a thread that calculated the size of that cover and the potential energy it could get in optimal conditions/angles.