Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returned MY Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can see all of the pictures of the quality issue here: Model Y Fail

Disappointment is all I can say - order MY Aug 23 - 1 day before the cut off for extra supercharge miles for accepting delivery for Q3. Picked up the car Sept 28 (yaya Q3 delivery numbers push them out). Was raining outside wasn't able to see all the issues but noted the ones that where visible with the Sales rep to get repaired. Service appointment is over 2 and a half weeks out.

Upon bringing her home and deeper inspection found so many issues with the car exterior, interior was pretty much flawless. Did a 140 mile round trip the following day and it was raining pretty hard - glad to see there was no water coming in the car with all the gaps ! But what I did find was that the window wiper had a massive gap not wiping off the water... seriously!

Scanning the exterior at home one thing just lead to another and then on the 3rd day washing the car with two bucket method I discovered even more issues with the paint and what was worse was condensation in the tail lights....come on....see pictures. On the 5th day the drivers side window would squeak going down while opening the door and closing, it was catching something. MY owners all I can say is open your doors and see how much flex the doors have its unacceptable. A this point I had enough.

With all these exterior quality issue - it doesn't give me or my wife a peace of mind long term - what else could there be that we aren't seeing? . Reading the horror stories of multiple SC visits for some of the same issues it made the car worse or took multiple SC visits to fix - I didn't want to play this game especially having a 18 month old and number 2 on the way.

I really wished I rejected this last week instead of a full return and got back in line. I still believe in Tesla, loved the ride and the technology but the quality control really needs an entire overhaul.

Returning the car was simple signed a piece of paperwork and one of the sales rep totally understands why I am returning, tells me that there is people returning because of the quality issues that I've experienced. For a 60K car you expect a lot better quality. Will wait for the following year about my 12 month ban of the same trim to possibly order depending on quality.

• Informative
Reactions: MYP2020
Sorry you had to go through this, I just looked at all the photos, that car had a lot of issues! I cannot imagine how long it would take them to fix those issues and how many service visits.

As an fyi for all, I do think that Tesla's 12 month hold for ordering the same configuration, while published as a hard and fast rule, is treated as more of a guideline within Tesla. If the staff thinks you aren't abusing the process because there were legitimate issues with the car (which clearly there were), they will likely ask for an exception to that policy. In my case, the market manager was the approval authority and it took a 2 minute phone call to get that approved, though I didn't end up exercising it.

• Informative
Reactions: HeartSong
It's the factory. Sandy Munroe was interviewed and said the factory isn't capable of mass-assembling at high-quality. New factories will most likely turn out stellar examples according to him. He also commented the paint shop in Fremont was S&%T. Maybe when Austin starts building Y's things will improve.

Last edited:
It's the factory. Sandy Munroe was interviewed and said the factory isn't capable of mass-assembling at high-quality. New factories will most likely turn out stellar examples according to him. He also commented the paint shop in Fremont was S&%T. Maybe when Austin starts building Y's things will improve.

Sort of validating what we already suspect. Tesla knows that poor build quality has minimal impact on US sales.

Sort of validating what we already suspect. Tesla knows that poor build quality has minimal impact on US sales.

This. And me thinks the “best” cars are shipped overseas (ie Europe) where they have to deal with more fickle buyers and it is more costly if they had rejects/returns. Whereas here in US, we get the “second quality” subpar builds that are not perfect but sellable.