Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters article on suspension failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess the question is, are there any aftermarket companies selling these parts?

1703173272172.png

they have other parts for all tesla models. it looks like some of the failures were due to improper torque spec, we could all just check our bolts and ensure everything is tightened properly.

Reactions: OxBrew
Looks like Tesla responded to this on twitter with some very obtuse PR spin
That they felt the need to try to spin this tells me there probably is merit to Reuter’s investigation. Hopefully some real consequences for Tesla come out of this

The usual suspects are cheering this but...it doesn't really refute any of the main points in the article.

They also admit to fixing some 120k vehicles with the suspension issue - that's at least a 2.5% failure rate for a safety critical component.

Not sure any other automaker comes close to that figure without issuing a recall.

The usual suspects are cheering this but...it doesn't really refute any of the main points in the article.

They also admit to fixing some 120k vehicles with the suspension issue - that's at least a 2.5% failure rate for a safety critical component.

Not sure any other automaker comes close to that figure without issuing a recall.
Agreed. It’s deflection from Tesla at best.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

they have other parts for all tesla models. it looks like some of the failures were due to improper torque spec, we could all just check our bolts and ensure everything is tightened properly.
Do you happen to have the torque spec? I can easily do that, just as easily as changing out all of the suspension parts. If I can avoid that, and not worry about an issue, I'm all for it.

Especially looking for aftermarket fore and aft links.

Do you happen to have the torque spec? I can easily do that, just as easily as changing out all of the suspension parts. If I can avoid that, and not worry about an issue, I'm all for it.

Especially looking for aftermarket fore and aft links.
The bushings in these arms fail, then the wear from the weight of the vehicle causes the arms to fail. Look over your bushes and get that new car tight feeling back. Balljoints and bushes degrade over time, new oe parts are cheap.

Reactions: Zuikkis
The bushings in these arms fail, then the wear from the weight of the vehicle causes the arms to fail. Look over your bushes and get that new car tight feeling back. Balljoints and bushes degrade over time, new oe parts are cheap.

Part of the problem is that Tesla doesn't have mandatory yearly service like all other car brands. Worn bushings are common in any car, but in a Tesla they can go unnoticed for several years and and then cause this kind of major failure.

Tesla's view probably is that the bushing itself would be warranty item, but if you let it go so bad that it breaks entire suspension then it's partially your own fault.

I'm from Finland. We have quite strict official inspection annually where suspension is checked. Also we change from summer to winter tyres and back every spring and autumn, and people are taught to do some quick checkup there while the car is jacked up.. To see if there is no extra play in suspension or wheel bearings etc.

It is true that OEM suspension parts are quite cheap, directly from Tesla. People are selling used parts for higher price in ebay..

Part of the problem is that Tesla doesn't have mandatory yearly service like all other car brands. Worn bushings are common in any car, but in a Tesla they can go unnoticed for several years and and then cause this kind of major failure.
Alignment should be done every 6mo. Your alignment tech should tell you. Lack of awareness of your vehicle that holds your family at speed, is not teslas problem.

People should be more aware of the condition of their major purchase.

Reactions: buckets0fun