Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Engadget Article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So moderator buried my Y inquiry with a Tesla generic Engadget titled thread?

I doubt a single response to my question is provided.
I don't think we'll know for sure for a while. If you want to be safe, in the short term, have a reputable mechanic check the parts, torque the bolts properly. I'm on the fence about replacing with after market control arms.

Even high quality after market may have undiscovered quality issues, they are made in such low quantities that systemic issues might not surface easily. Any manufacturer can have a hidden issue pop up, happens to everyone. One failure over hundreds or low thousands of parts could be a horrible failure rate, or could be from pushing it at the track repeatedly, or bad DIY installation. Hard to know.

I'm sticking with inspecting the parts for now, looking for corrosion, cracks, and torquing fasteners if I can find a clear torque value I trust, and deciding what to do when the parts are out of warranty when we get there. Still, probably nothing.

(not disparaging any after market suspension suppliers, many are excellent, no question. It's just really hard to compare this kind of statistical failure. Any time you have the car worked on, you have maybe higher risk of installer forgetting to torque a bolt because their wife called right then than anything that might happen even if you do nothing to your factory set up. Unless you're in one of the recall groups that have happened over the years, then for sure have Tesla do the inspections, obviously).