Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: Tesla to start pilot production of 3 on feb 20th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two threads on the same topic. Maybe they could be merged?

The article points out that Tesla often misses production deadlines. So the Feb 20 date for this pre-production should be taken with some salt. Tesla does often have delays. But I take this as their commitment to quality over arbitrary deadlines. That's why I don't expect to get my Model 3 this year. Patience is a virtue. I hope these pre-production cars will be used to give test rides. I'd fly to Seattle (the nearest Tesla store) to get an early test drive.

The article points out that Tesla often misses production deadlines. So the Feb 20 date for this pre-production should be taken with some salt.
I didn't want to comment on this thread in preference to the other thread, but this is not a logical conclusion at all. Dates for retooling and testing pre-production capabilities have nothing to do with production deadline misses. They are totally separate things. If Tesla says they are suspending production in order to retool for Model 3 then that's what they are going to do... no grain of salt needed.

I didn't read the Roadshow, but are they saying Tesla is just now ordering line equipment? Tesla said a month or two ago they had already ordered equipment and were setting up others because that equipment will take longer to get functioning.

I believe some of authors of these articles are confused. You wouldn't suspend production for "ordering", you'd do it when the orders for manufacturing equipment have been filled and you need to install, retool, and do other maintenance.

Reactions: SageBrush
I didn't read the Roadshow, but are they saying Tesla is just now ordering line equipment? Tesla said a month or two ago they had already ordered equipment and were setting up others because that equipment will take longer to get functioning.

They claim their source says the Reuters article confuses manufacturing with parts ordering. And that doesn't make sense.

The article points out that Tesla often misses production deadlines. So the Feb 20 date for this pre-production should be taken with some salt. Tesla does often have delays.

Dates for retooling and testing pre-production capabilities have nothing to do with production deadline misses. They are totally separate things. If Tesla says they are suspending production in order to retool for Model 3 then that's what they are going to do... no grain of salt needed.

There are two different things being reported first is a week long shutdown for retooling and equipment installation then there is the 20 Feb. pre-production run. But, I agree with what Jeff is saying, they certainly are not going to schedule a factory shut down if they aren't ready to do what it is that they're shutting it down for. The pre-production run might slip a day or so if they run into issues during the shut down, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to slip much this close to the actual date. If it were weeks or months out then sure, take it with a grain of salt, not right now though.

We'll know soon enough though, if they are planning to start on the 20th and will shut down for a week before that happens then the shutdown has to start in the next week!!

I'm just saying that I'm not going to hold my breath. They'll do it as soon as they can do it consistent with top quality, and if there are delays, as I expect, the end result will be the best car in its size class on the road, well worth waiting for.

Reactions: SageBrush
I'm just saying that I'm not going to hold my breath. They'll do it as soon as they can do it consistent with top quality, and if there are delays, as I expect, the end result will be the best car in its size class on the road, well worth waiting for.
Keep in mind any pre-production cars produced during this time period are probably for testing out the manufacturing line. They'll probably never see customer hands.

Although they might be flaunted publically...

And the Model S line was paused in July 2014 for Model X retooling. There *should* be fewer challenges with Model 3 compared to Model X though.
The Model 3 line is completely separate from the Model S/X line. I don't understand why the current line would need to be "paused" to accomplish something on the Model 3 line that is being constructed or is about to be put into service to build the very first pilot vehicles.

I don't necessarily believe anything stated in the Reuters or Roadshow articles.

Holy wow. I was expecting them to build a few handbuilt cars to show off during the final reveal, and then get some pilot cars built off the line in July. But the fact that they will, at least partially, be using the final line to build cars now. That is huge. If they succeed in building fully functional and driveable cars off the line by the end of March, they should be able to start volume production by July for delivery.

YUGE

Not really.

Chevy's Bolt electric car is gearing up for production

The Model 3 line is completely separate from the Model S/X line. I don't understand why the current line would need to be "paused" to accomplish something on the Model 3 line that is being constructed or is about to be put into service to build the very first pilot vehicles.

I don't necessarily believe anything stated in the Reuters or Roadshow articles.

If there is some truth in the report, there could be a number of reasons.

1) They are rearranging the factory, not the S/X line, to better accommodate the model 3.
2) Sales are slow this time of year, so why not shut down for a week and do some maintenance/reorganization to prepare for a big push at the end of the year.
3) The S/X are getting a new dash. The long term plan would ideally have a major S/X demand stimulator ahead of the model 3.