Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: Tesla to start pilot production of 3 on feb 20th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strange, but true. As it worked out, we wound up scrapping the first 125 customer cars off the line anyway because fatal flaws were discovered in the main wiring harness after they were built. (I expect Delphi Packard wound up eating the entire cost). Why scrap 'em? In the case of the Mercedes M-Class (same with many vehicles), the main body wiring harness is one of the first things installed in assembly; to change it out, you have to disassemble almost the entire interior, which then damages parts, etc. You would be amazed at some of the stuff that goes on in an assembly plant...(any assembly plant).... it's a wonder that any car company ever makes any money...
My job involves me with many automotive manufacturers. The amount of partially finished cars that are just "recycled" is amazing sometimes.

I have this growing feeling that Tesla is doing a very un-Tesla like operation where the Model 3 is concerned, and has kept under wraps that they are further along than most of the reported milestones and timeline would suggest.

If true, the stock market bears are going to have a baad day.

Reactions: Model 3
I have this growing feeling that Tesla is doing a very un-Tesla like operation where the Model 3 is concerned, and has kept under wraps that they are further along than most of the reported milestones and timeline would suggest.

I've had this crazy idea in my head that the July timeline was actually a conservative target.

Like I said, crazy.

Reactions: Model 3
I've had this crazy idea in my head that the July timeline was actually a conservative target.

Like I said, crazy.
Yeah, crazy is right. The official manufacturer deadline is July, and they are only as fast as the slowest supplier. Assuming no major delays I'm thinking August/September at the earliest with some hiccups, a slowdown to fix any issues, and then full speed ahead. Elon's S curve.

Reactions: DaveT

I hope you are right. But Elon Musk seems to be generally overly optimistic on time lines. So I'm not going to get my hopes up for an early delivery date. The bears will have a bad day when the Model 3 turns out to be as huge a success as I expect it to be. But that might come a bit later than all of us would like.

A friend of mine has a term for this: Chrono-optimism.

I'll be delighted if I have my Model 3 before the start of next winter. Of course I'll be even more delighted if I get it this summer.

How many people bothered to read the sources ?
Tesla is shutting down production to modify the painting section. That is not equivalent to putting up the Model 3 production line.
That is correct, but as I understood this, they should modify the painting section *to prepare for the Model 3*. So it is a part of the Model 3 production line(s). And the production lines for S+X (that is why they are down). And was it not some talk about some presses for the Model 3 line(s)? Parts of the lines for Model 3 should from what I have read be in place already. I do not know anything about how much is missing before at least one production line could be ready for pilot production.

That is correct, but as I understood this, they should modify the painting section *to prepare for the Model 3*. So it is a part of the Model 3 production line(s). And the production lines for S+X (that is why they are down). And was it not some talk about some presses for the Model 3 line(s)? Parts of the lines for Model 3 should from what I have read be in place already. I do not know anything about how much is missing before at least one production line could be ready for pilot production.

We'll all hopefully know a little more in about 22 hours.

How many people bothered to read the sources ?
Tesla is shutting down production to modify the painting section. That is not equivalent to putting up the Model 3 production line.

The article makes it quite clear that the intent was to setup a pre-production line. It wasn't just the paint shop.

"If Tesla succeeds in starting pilot production of the sedan at its factory in Fremont, California on Feb. 20, as people familiar with the matter told Reuters, the company would be able to share the news with shareholders two days later when it reports fourth-quarter results and better answer any questions about the Model 3 rollout."

The article makes it quite clear that the intent was to setup a pre-production line. It wasn't just the paint shop.

"If Tesla succeeds in starting pilot production of the sedan at its factory in Fremont, California on Feb. 20, as people familiar with the matter told Reuters, the company would be able to share the news with shareholders two days later when it reports fourth-quarter results and better answer any questions about the Model 3 rollout."
I think the paint shop (and some retooling) is the only part Tesla has publicly confirmed.

Sloppy reporting. The plant shutdown started on Feb 20, with work to include expanding the paint shop to handle M3 production, not pilot production. It makes sense to share the paint shop among the three models, but other parts of the line would be separate, so there would not be any need to halt s, x production for installation, adjustment and testing of M3 assembly robots, stamping mills, aluminum forging equipment, etc.

The Model 3 line is completely separate from the Model S/X line. I don't understand why the current line would need to be "paused" to accomplish something on the Model 3 line that is being constructed or is about to be put into service to build the very first pilot vehicles.

I don't necessarily believe anything stated in the Reuters or Roadshow articles.
Who says that it's separate?