Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: Tesla to start pilot production of 3 on feb 20th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Pilot production" strikes me as a few cars to test out the line before beta cars (production validation) roll off the line. Quality and production steps need to be refined before they start actual real production. This will take several months of refining, meanwhile they produce beta cars that represent the final production variants so they can do validation of complete systems.

Reactions: JeffK
As painful as it may be we all need to start thinking that maybe this is not a valid report. So far the only thing Tesla has confirmed is the factory shutdown and there have been no other reports from anyone else about the pre production on the 20th - every source I've seen just references the Reuters article. :(

On the other hand, if they are shutting down to get the final pieces in place for Model 3 production, it may not be too far down the road that they really do start producing some betas. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3
there have been no other reports from anyone else about the pre production on the 20th - every source I've seen just references the Reuters article.

That's possibly why they titled it "Exclusive" ;)

It's not necessarily false. Producing one or two cars to validate the systems is a logical conclusion and in line to the tasks Tesla has officially said they were doing.

Separately, sources told Reuters that the luxury electric carmaker planned to begin test-building the Model 3 on Feb. 20.

When you have separate sources claiming the same thing, then it might be some truth in it.

As painful as it may be we all need to start thinking that maybe this is not a valid report. So far the only thing Tesla has confirmed is the factory shutdown and there have been no other reports from anyone else about the pre production on the 20th - every source I've seen just references the Reuters article. :(

On the other hand, if they are shutting down to get the final pieces in place for Model 3 production, it may not be too far down the road that they really do start producing some betas. :)

Maybe Tesla isn't talking because they are/were hoping to make this announcement during the upcoming call? Would be some additional positive news to report.

That's possibly why they titled it "Exclusive" ;)

It's not necessarily false. Producing one or two cars to validate the systems is a logical conclusion and in line to the tasks Tesla has officially said they were doing.
True, they do need to do that, and we all want it to be sooner rather than later. I guess I was just cautious since I assume every other site that reports on EVs would be scrambling to confirm what Reuters reported and no one has actually done so yet. On the other hand, Tesla is very good at keeping things close to the vest - I assume we'll find out for sure during the call on the 22nd.

Reactions: JeffK

The two reports line up. Confirmed the line is shutting down for Model 3 retooling. They've even told the Australian buyers that their car builds are being pushed back because of the line shutdown. So the pre-production starting on the 20th is the logical outcome of that shutdown.

The two reports line up. Confirmed the line is shutting down for Model 3 retooling. They've even told the Australian buyers that their car builds are being pushed back because of the line shutdown. So the pre-production starting on the 20th is the logical outcome of that shutdown.
I agree 100%, it even lines up nicely with the planned call on the 22nd. I'm just saying that until we actually have confirmation we shouldn't get too carried away.

Pre-production shmeeperfluxion. I don't care about when they start pre-production. There are only three dates I care about with regard to Model 3:

1. The date when they officially announce specifications, available options, and performance numbers.
2. The date when the first independent reviews are published by people who've been allowed to do reasonably thorough testing of cars identical to the production models (as opposed to just a reporter gets to spend 15 minutes in the car). And
3. The date when I get mine.

Pre-production makes it sound like they are near production... it's technically "pilot production". This is where they test new methods, processes, or manufacturing systems.
Yes. In car assembly plants, there are production trials before beginning building of customer cars. Here's how we did it at the Mercedes assembly plant in AL:

PT1 - usually 5 to 10 cars. Often takes 2 weeks to accomplish because everything is new: some parts will not yet be available from suppliers, and/or when you get them, they don't fit. Adjustments need to be made to tooling to get parts to align. It is thought that M3 will have a lot of automated assembly, which can be very tricky to get working at first. After PT1, there is often a 2 to 4 week period to analyze and fix problems identified during the PT1 run. In some cases, suppliers will have to change something in a part before work can continue.

PT2, PT3, PT4 - each of these runs has a few more cars than the previous, and involves a slightly quicker TAKT time; also various different options are tried to verify all variants can be built. The team also needs to learn how to build all possible options. Also, QC works to ensure everything can be inspected.

Going thru all production trials can take some months, especially with a new product. Cars built during this operation are scrapped, both for quality and tax reasons.

The first car to be built for customer sale is usually called "Job 1" - at MB we used to take this first one and all team members would sign it and it would go into the museum (rather than actually being sold). Tesla may do things differently.