TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Reverse Speed Limit

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Bebop, Jul 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

I was curious to know the technical reason why the reverse speed is limited to 17mph. Is it how the motor functions? Just curious. Why not 10 or even 20mph.

2. Ande

Ande Member

The clever heads at Tesla are very likely to be thinking in ancient mess like the imperial system.
    Nor does it translate to a round number in metric system, this tells me that that just guesstimated an safe and easy speed everyone should handle.
    I too wish it was higher.

The motors are sensed brushless motors, there is no mechanical advance in such motors, and so they perform equally in both directions.

3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Part of the reason for the speed limit in reverse in the Model S&X is that the lubrication pump in the motor/gear box doesn't function when going in reverse.

• Informative x 3
  4. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

If it wasn't for the 17mph limit, our cars in reverse would reach 60mph faster than ICEs going forward!

5. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

That is exactly how I discovered the limit in the first place. It hit me...if my car can go 0-60 in 4.2 going forward..Can it do it backwards? So I went to try it and discovered the limit.

• Informative x 1