Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse The Uncomfortable Front Headrest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All! My first time posting. I REALLY want to buy a Model Y but have a little problem. The headrest pushes my head forward in a way that is terribly uncomfortable. It's a deal breaker. I've seen the headrest can pull off and would LOVE to see if anyone with a Model Y has been successful at reversing them (putting them on backwards). Does it fit in that way? Does it allow your head to go back a bit more? This literally determines if I can get one or not. Thanks so much in advance!

I haven't tried reversing mine; but HERE is a video that shows someone removing the headrests from a Model 3 and bending the posts so that it doesn't lean forward so far. It looks pretty easy...
Thank you. I've watched that before but saw 1 person post he was able to turn around a model 3 headrest. It looked exactly like I thought it would, not as forward. I'm very curious to see if anyone with a new Model Y was successful (or could try for the heck of it to see if it works).

I just turned mine around. As the video notes, the hardest part is keeping the first clip from re-engaging until you get the second clip disconnected. It would help to have a third arm. On my car, both retaining clips were on the driver's side of the car. Which means that when you reverse the headrest, the retaining clips do not engage, so it's just sitting in the holes. I doubt it will be a day-to-day problem, and unless you lean the seat back quite a ways they still can't come off; but it might not be ideal in an accident.

Here's how they look stock:

Forward.jpg

Here's how they look reversed (you can see marks on the seat pleather where the headrest normally sits):

Backwards.jpg

Here it is more from the side, so you can see it leaning a little over the back of the seat:

Backwards side.jpg

Chad, you're a hero! You did it! That headrest position, reversed, looks like it would be 100x more comfortable for me. Will you be keeping it that way? Is it comfortable? BTW we're neighbors - I work in Redmond at the Town Center, live in Sammamish.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I just turned mine around. As the video notes, the hardest part is keeping the first clip from re-engaging until you get the second clip disconnected. It would help to have a third arm. On my car, both retaining clips were on the driver's side of the car. Which means that when you reverse the headrest, the retaining clips do not engage, so it's just sitting in the holes. I doubt it will be a day-to-day problem, and unless you lean the seat back quite a ways they still can't come off; but it might not be ideal in an accident.
I was this many hours old when I learned that the Model Y headrests are moveable. I thought they were fixed until I saw this thread. Learn something new every day.

And my mom has this exact same problem. I think it is an issue with shorter people. Every modern headrest is very uncomfortable for her, and she has to reverse her headrests to make the front seats tolerable.

Point to consider: the headrest is not intended as a place to rest you head, the purpose is to mitigate whiplash in the case of a rear-end collision. If you reverse the headrest the padding is now facing in the wrong direction and it will not be as effective. It will still work, of course, just not as well.

I suggest modifying the position as is shown in post #2 is the better choice.

Chad, you're a hero! You did it! That headrest position, reversed, looks like it would be 100x more comfortable for me. Will you be keeping it that way? Is it comfortable? BTW we're neighbors - I work in Redmond at the Town Center, live in Sammamish.

I put the headrest back, as I (4" shorter than you) am comfortable with it in the standard position - I only moved it so you could see that it can be done. (Though I agree with ATPMSD that bending the posts to keep it facing forward seems better if you can make it work).

I do seem to recall me initially finding the headrest to be too close in one of our Teslas...but I think that went away once I got everything adjusted - seatback tilt, distance from steering wheel, etc.

In any event, enjoy your new Y! You'll certainly blend in with all of the Y's in this area...

I don't have a problem with it being comfortable . I just want to remove it
because with the seat all the way down I can load sailboard on that side rather than in the middle with the seat all the way reclined such that I can still see out the
rear view mirror. It would be nice if there was and aftermarket solution for this
though I can remove it.

That's why having a easily removable adjustable headrest is better .
I removed the whole seat to accomplish the board accomadation in
the Integra and in the BMW the Head Rest removed with the seat back
was enough . I usually do this in the Summer half of the year and never
have passangers.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Can confirm the reversing of the headrest works great in Model Y (2023).

IMG_8375 Large.jpeg

I knew Model 3 headrest were removable, but I just got a Model Y and when I read this in the Model Y owner's manual I was panicking:
The front seats include integrated head supports that you cannot adjust.

Thanks to @ChadS his post encouraged me to try his approach even though at first the headrest looked pretty solidly attached to the seat so I assumed I made a mistake and his car was a Model 3. But then afetr a second read of his post I was sure his car was a Model Y and he was able to reverse the headrest. So then I got to work and found that it's actually very similar to Model 3 if not easier, there is no tab, just two pins you have to pull on each side to remove the headrest. It also doesn't have the annoying side effect of the back cover of the seat falling out when headrest is removed. I was able to reverse it and now my neck is orders of magnitude happier (I'm 6'2").

Reactions: Skavatar
Wow! As many of us, I've bought my Model Y without test-driving it first.
Yeah, seeing the pictures on the web and knowing a couple of modern cars, I kinda knew this was going to be a pain in the neck (literally) but thankfully it's possible to reverse the damn things (unlike some Mercedes I've drove last time, seats looked kinda the same bud no seam between headrest and seat) and I'm amazed how it works for me.
Just reversing the headrests changed the "Worst Seats" to be the "Best Seats" I've seated in a car or plane! BTW I'm 6'1" 180lb lean guy with large shoulders and very erect posture. This way (the wrong way) fits me perfectly!
I had to use a cushion un my back (not neck) to be confotable before, just took it out and I'm really looking forward to my sunday trip wich will be some 200 miles, but almost 3 hours here in Europe (speed-limited backroads all the way) and not having to adjustthe pillow every couple of miles.
That one really helped a lot! So glad I've found my answer to the possibly only complaint I had about my MYSR.

Reactions: Skavatar
I tried reversing the headrest in my Model 3, but it felt super unsafe because of how far back it was. I tried all sorts of pillows and cushions and eventually found a solution that works for me. I took a 12x12 inch piece of 1/2 inch thick memory foam and added it inside the seat. Picture is below.

This does two things, it makes the back of the seat slightly less concave, and it pushes your upper back slightly forward away from the headrest.

I'm still not crazy about the comfort of the seat, but it's comfortable enough. This is the only solution I've found that allows me to drive without thinking about seat comfort.

PXL_20240218_203612584.jpg

Point to consider: the headrest is not intended as a place to rest you head, the purpose is to mitigate whiplash in the case of a rear-end collision.
Yes, which is why I won't adjust mine -- but my issue is cosmetic (I messes up my long hair, and it gets in the way of a ponytail, so I have to use a topknot). If my issue was literally the ability to sit comfortably while driving, I can see it would be a deal breaker for me and I too might consider changing it.