Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review: Tesla's Model Y Rear Liftgate Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I need this during summer when my dog is in the back. I can see she gets direct sunlight. Even with dog mode and the temp set low, I don't think she likes the direct sun. I was surprised by the Tesla price - $80 and also surprised there weren't any Amazon knockoffs. I only see a rear shade available as part of a 7-piece Basenor "privacy" set.

Anyone know of a good aftermarket solution?
A quality ceramic tint.

I will put that on my short list.

Assuming the glass is different than the roof, so would benefit more from ceramic tinting. I still feel the need for a shade on the roof, but you think it's not necessary for the rear glass then. I wish my dog could talk.

what impact does that have on the rear visibility, particularly at night?

This has been the biggest loss coming from the nearly vertical rear window of an Outback. I feel like a sitting duck for 5-0.
It depends on the transmission level of the tint you choose. If you choose a 20% tint (meaning 80% of the visible light will be filtered out) then the rear view will be compromised at night. If you choose a 70% tint this will be barely noticeable day or night but would effectively reject UV and IR (heat) radiation.