Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review: Tesla's Model Y Rear Liftgate Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased the Tesla Model Y Rear Liftgate Sunshade based on the description on Tesla's site:

"...the rear sunshade blocks two thirds of solar thermal load without compromising rearward visibility."

Can't speak to blocking thermal load (cloudy and rainy), but visibility out the rear is compromised a bit. Biggest criticism I have is the fit. No matter how you adjust it (and there's VERY little adjustment possible), there are inconsistent gaps around the edges. Not sure if it's due to the interior trim fitment or the shade itself.

Best thing I can say about it is that it's IMPOSSIBLE to see what's in the cargo area through the hatch window, so in that regard, it negates the need for a cargo cover.

IMG_1446.jpg
IMG_1447.jpg

I plan to wait until summer gets close, and assess. If necessary, will head to the tint shop and place a couple samples on the glass and see which one I want them to add. But generally speaking, I tend to avoid storing anything of value in my vehicles, so privacy isnt a main factor for me. I also keep an old bedsheet folded in the lower compartment just in case I do have something back there that I need to cover up temporarily.

Reactions: jpfive
I got it, hoping it would cut down on seeing into the cargo area...the dimming rear view mirror covered headlights for me. After about a week, I took it down. It was too difficult to see cars behind me, and I didn't like that compromised view. I didn't have any issues with gaps, as it fit pretty well.

As 2101Guy says, I will reassess in summer, to see if it can help cut down on heat. With the massive glass roof, I doubt this product will help much. I'd definitely consider one of these for the glass roof though.

what if you shine a flashlight through?
While I can't speak directly for this Model Y iteration, on the Model S version, which uses the same design and presumably the same material, this doesn't work. You just get a nicely-illuminated mesh screen, and the trunk contents are still not visible.

I'm a little disappointed the fit seems so bad. On the Model S it's a tad oversized so it fits pretty snug and kind of slips between the small gap between the panel and the glass.

Reactions: tomagucci
While I can't speak directly for this Model Y iteration, on the Model S version, which uses the same design and presumably the same material, this doesn't work. You just get a nicely-illuminated mesh screen, and the trunk contents are still not visible.

I'm a little disappointed the fit seems so bad. On the Model S it's a tad oversized so it fits pretty snug and kind of slips between the small gap between the panel and the glass.

I'm going to take another look at the fitment. Upper-side interior trim contacts the window, the lower trim has a gap. There are issues with cargo trim warping in the Model Y (still waiting for mine to be fixed. Wonder if that's part of the issue around the window.

As for seeing through it, I'm taking it out and I'll try it again in the summer. Blocks rear view pretty severely because of the steep angle of the window. What's odd is that when you turn around, you can see pretty clearly... but in the rear view mirror, the window looks almost blacked out.

Purchased the Tesla Model Y Rear Liftgate Sunshade based on the description on Tesla's site:

"...the rear sunshade blocks two thirds of solar thermal load without compromising rearward visibility."

Can't speak to blocking thermal load (cloudy and rainy), but visibility out the rear is compromised a bit. Biggest criticism I have is the fit. No matter how you adjust it (and there's VERY little adjustment possible), there are inconsistent gaps around the edges. Not sure if it's due to the interior trim fitment or the shade itself.

Best thing I can say about it is that it's IMPOSSIBLE to see what's in the cargo area through the hatch window, so in that regard, it negates the need for a cargo cover.

View attachment 629818 View attachment 629819
I was just going to purchase this liftgate sunshade from Tesla, but searched for an install video and found your post. Thank you! What is it with Tesla and gaps - Geez.

I did some measuring and believe it or not, the issue with gaps appears to be the fault of the rear window trim (fitment, alignment, warping), not the shade itself. The biggest issue is the total inability to see out the back of the car. The only solution would be to allow larger perforations but that would defeat the purpose of the shade to begin with. Also, what's the point of offering a shade of any kind for the rear glass when the roof is what's creating an oven.

When you turn your head and look behind you, the view is fine with the shade in place. The problem is that the view through the rear view mirror is darkened to the point where you can't see out the back at all.

View attachment 631692
View attachment 631694
Did you try disconnecting the auto dimming connector from the rear view mirror? I have the same problem with super dark tint.

I think I need this during summer when my dog is in the back. I can see she gets direct sunlight. Even with dog mode and the temp set low, I don't think she likes the direct sun. I was surprised by the Tesla price - $80 and also surprised there weren't any Amazon knockoffs. I only see a rear shade available as part of a 7-piece Basenor "privacy" set.

Anyone know of a good aftermarket solution?