Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RFID Blocking (DIY) Fob Case

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, kinda...

I just picked up a Watch 4 w/cellular. Fulfills all my basic utility wishes for EDC, namely carrying just the Watch since one can make and receive phone calls, texts and e-mails, pay wirelessly at most registers (at least where I live, anyway) and unlock/drive/lock my Tesla without bringing my fob. Or my phone, Or my wallet. Or my ... you get the idea, I just want to walk out of the house and go anywhere at anytime and not have to remember to bring anything aside from what's already strapped to my wrist. After retirement I've become lazy like that.

But meanwhile just in case, while I figure out all the idiosyncracies (such as the slight delay when unlocking/starting from the Watch via Remote S, so that I now activate it a little before reaching the car), I realized I needed to physically possess the fob for the time being, but still block it from connecting to the car to prove to myself the Watch was doing it all.

And aside from a few humongous RFID pouches found on the internet, there wasn’t much available so I used this metal key fob case I have had for a while that clamshells over the factory fob, except I wrapped the fob itself in a layer of aluminum foil first.

For now simply secured with clear saran wrap-type plastic and masking tape over top, for quick emergency deployment ... will cinch it all down with the included little screws once everything is proven to my satisfaction.

DIY RFID.jpeg
DIY RFID 2.jpeg

You probably already know this, but if you do try driving your car without your phone or key-card, be aware that if your car (or watch) is out of LTE range for any reason, you will not be able to unlock it or start it. Your phone talks directly to the car via bluetooth, so the car does not need an LTE connection. The watch app does everything over cellular.

Yeah I figured that. Which is why my sleek and sexy homemade RFID-blocking aluminum foil case exists (and in my pocket at all times), heh heh.

But if it's on Bluetooth, then why does that (former version of the) Tesla phone app take so much longer to do stuff like honk the horn, flash the lights, etc.?

WOW! I think I need one a those. Imagine one custom-shaped and -fit to an S or X fob, in the color of the actual car.
Mine already is the color of my car ;)

Btw, a quick google search yielded this link: Car Shape Mint Tin | Del Rey Gourmet
It turns out you can order them in any color you want, and even with custom logo or name on it, however you do have to buy in bulk, which should be right up your alley given your user name :D. Or you could find whatever other company ordered them as a promotional/giveaway item, procure one of them and paint it yourself.

Mine already is the color of my car ;)

Btw, a quick google search yielded this link: Car Shape Mint Tin | Del Rey Gourmet
It turns out you can order them in any color you want, and even with custom logo or name on it, however you do have to buy in bulk, which should be right up your alley given your user name :D. Or you could find whatever other company ordered them as a promotional/giveaway item, procure one of them and paint it yourself.

Hmm, but I need to buy 125...sorry my namesake ain't up to it just yet.

Group buy, anyone? =D

Yeah I figured that. Which is why my sleek and sexy homemade RFID-blocking aluminum foil case exists (and in my pocket at all times), heh heh.

But if it's on Bluetooth, then why does that (former version of the) Tesla phone app take so much longer to do stuff like honk the horn, flash the lights, etc.?
Only the walki up locking and unlocking (and turning on the car) are used via bluetooth, it uses the web for all other features. Since the RFID card is much flatter and lighter than the fob, why wouldn't you keep that in your pocket as an emergency key?