Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Original 2012 S Owner considering trade in for 2023 model - questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hank42

Legacy Supporter
Sep 30, 2012
United States - NY
Considering it's time to upgrade to the latest model. I love my RWD 85S, but thinking it might be time to trader her in. I drove a friends for a short trip, and was no overly impressed. I mean, YES, I was impressed, but I expected a little more.

Aside from the loss of stalks etc.. I haven't gotten an answer - will the new S work with a key Fob that senses me approaching to present the handles or do I need to use my phone or the card like in the Y?

Any things else I might not like about the new model? I'm a fan of the yacht floor of the old S, and see the center console as a waste of space for starters.

Reactions: dsm363
Just upgraded from a 2017 100D to a 2022 Plaid and here's my breakdown:

Pros:
  1. Significant increase in power.
  2. Updated software with a fresh look and plenty of new features.
  3. Improved center console and additional storage on the door side.
  4. I really like the auto-shifting
Cons:
  1. The instrument cluster screen seems like a downgrade to me, as many customization options are no longer available. Struggling to find a way to activate FSD visualization.
  2. The updated model feels less comfortable in my opinion, with both seats and suspension seemingly stiffer compared to the older version. It may be because I went from 19" to 21" wheels, not sure.
The old Key Fob won't work, but you can purchase the new one here Tesla Key Fob

While there might be more nuances worth mentioning, these stand out as the most impactful differences for me.

Considering it's time to upgrade to the latest model. I love my RWD 85S, but thinking it might be time to trader her in. I drove a friends for a short trip, and was no overly impressed. I mean, YES, I was impressed, but I expected a little more.

Any things else I might not like about the new model? I'm a fan of the yacht floor of the old S, and see the center console as a waste of space for starters.
I went from a P100D to a Plaid. Besides the better looks and extra performance in the refresh, being able to charge at 250kw vs 150kw was huge. Whenever I was at a 250kw charger, it was frustrating charging at 150kw while the model 3s and Ys beside me were charging at 250kw.

Aside from the loss of stalks etc.. I haven't gotten an answer - will the new S work with a key Fob that senses me approaching to present the handles or do I need to use my phone or the card like in the Y?

Your old fobs won’t work, but the newer fobs will function similarly to the old ones. Unfortunately Tesla doesn’t include them with the car anymore. The phone key does also cause the handles to self present, but overall not as reliable as the fob.

And Tesla doesn’t really advertise this, but the 3/Y fob works just fine with the refresh S (and vice versa). They’re the same price, but if you already happen to have a 3/Y fob like I did, no need to spend an extra $175 unless you really want the key to say “Model S” instead of “Tesla” on the bottom.

Reactions: Hank42

My 2 cents as the owner of a 2012 who just had a Plaid loaner: Work with Tesla and get an extended demo drive on one before doing anything. Personally, I found the no stalks a big downgrade and the yoke completely unacceptable. I really thought I'd like the predictive shifting, but it doesn't go remotely far enough, at least not yet and I found myself having to shift it with the screen nearly all the time. There's so much muscle memory involved that when you factor in the yoke too it becomes extremely tedious in high stress parking maneuvers. Yes you can get the round wheel, but not the stalks.

As for the rest of the car, its very nicely refreshed and updated, but still based on the OG model S, so it's not like you are getting a completely different experience. I still felt the bones of my 2012 in there. Test drive one first and make sure it is worth the expense to you.

2012 p85 to 2023 Plaid. Yoke is ok and great on longer drives, steering wheel is probably better though for muscle memory and u-turns. I used both for a while.

Stalkless you will get used to, I find no real issue either way though it is a bit slower to go drive to reverse and visa versa.

Otherwise more comfortable, nicer interior, way better screens etc.

Reactions: cptnslo and dsm363
Just upgraded from a 2017 100D to a 2022 Plaid and here's my breakdown:

Pros:
  1. Significant increase in power.
  2. Updated software with a fresh look and plenty of new features.
  3. Improved center console and additional storage on the door side.
  4. I really like the auto-shifting
Cons:
  1. The instrument cluster screen seems like a downgrade to me, as many customization options are no longer available. Struggling to find a way to activate FSD visualization.
  2. The updated model feels less comfortable in my opinion, with both seats and suspension seemingly stiffer compared to the older version. It may be because I went from 19" to 21" wheels, not sure.
The old Key Fob won't work, but you can purchase the new one here Tesla Key Fob

While there might be more nuances worth mentioning, these stand out as the most impactful differences for me.
Thanks! And thanks for the keyfob link. I don't know how I did not come across that before:rolleyes:

My 2 cents as the owner of a 2012 who just had a Plaid loaner: Work with Tesla and get an extended demo drive on one before doing anything. Personally, I found the no stalks a big downgrade and the yoke completely unacceptable. I really thought I'd like the predictive shifting, but it doesn't go remotely far enough, at least not yet and I found myself having to shift it with the screen nearly all the time. There's so much muscle memory involved that when you factor in the yoke too it becomes extremely tedious in high stress parking maneuvers. Yes you can get the round wheel, but not the stalks.

As for the rest of the car, its very nicely refreshed and updated, but still based on the OG model S, so it's not like you are getting a completely different experience. I still felt the bones of my 2012 in there. Test drive one first and make sure it is worth the expense to you.
Your 2 cents are worth so much more than that to me! I had some more time behind the wheel of the new one, and I agree pretty much with what everyone mentioned. In my trials, the predictive shifting never worked and I ended up using the screen - not so bad at all - I didn't even need to "get used to it". I do wonder how it'll be with gloves on, but something to get used to. The lack of turn stalks got me every time, and I laughed each time I played air guitar. I soon warmed up to them, but did find myself taking my eyes off the road to look at the buttons I was about to press. When making S turns, I can see how the lack of stalks will just make me more of a bimmer driver and not use the signals at all because I'd usually just stick my finger out while the wheel is centering back and nail the stalk on the alternate rotation without thinking about it - when the wheel is upside down, having to think about pressing the correct button with my right hand is never going to be something I'm going to learn.

I haven't tried parallel parking, but I can see how not having the stalk there might be a pita - having to turn my head forward to look at the screen to find the shifter to change direction, instead of just pushing up or down while maneuvering. Certainly not a deal breaker.

Someone mentioned the 250KW supercharging - I had not even considered that. My 2012 only charges at 90, so 250 is a HUGE deal. I wish I had posted sooner, kinda late to take advantage of my one-time unlimited supercharger transfer by end of year :(

Regarding the "bones". I feel quite the opposite between my 2012, and the new one - I feel like it is a different car - slightly "cheaper" and less polished - yeah, I know, comparing the polish of the early 2012 models is almost laughable, but things like the gen1(2) door handles that had heft to them, were metal, not plastic, and have a pleasant sound when presenting and retracting(when they worked). The new ones (at least the one I drove) feels "cheap", and the door handles sound like a kids toy. These are not complaints, just my observations that struck me.

Thanks for all the feedback - I was really just curios about the fob - got more than I asked for in respsonse! :)

Reactions: peakay and Drew-MS
OK, glad you appreciated and now I'll add in my 3rd cent: If your 2012 is running well and sellable, it might be a good time to get out. I just had to replace my rear drive unit and it was a considerble ouch to my budget. Perhaps selling yours and getting the newest-used version with normal controls would be the best move? The large rear drive units on the 85 models only seem to last 50-60k.

On the bones, I meant more the chassis and handling than external touch/feel, but I agree, the car did feel cheapened in some ways. Still, way, WAY nicer. The shifting was not hard, but I was expecting to not need to shift with the predictive shifter much like the Model 3 has eliminated keys. if I need to shift all the time, Id rather have a lever for the reasons you mention. Good luck in your search!

Reactions: dsm363 and Hank42
You will love 23/24 S for sure. Dual motors, great battery. What do you mean by yacht floor?
You do not like the portrait screen? I prefer vertical over horizontal but it's no big deal. Vertical was better for the driver.
Key fob was the first thing I bought on the delivery day.

Horn not being in the middle is an issue. Stalks you get used to it but it's a big change.

You will love 23/24 S for sure. Dual motors, great battery. What do you mean by yacht floor?
You do not like the portrait screen? I prefer vertical over horizontal but it's no big deal. Vertical was better for the driver.
Key fob was the first thing I bought on the delivery day.

Horn not being in the middle is an issue. Stalks you get used to it but it's a big change.
The old S's had what they call a "Yacht" floor between the front seats.
1702327397095.png

Perfect place for me to drop my lapto bag without consuming a seat, or the wife and her purse.
I don't mind the screen orientation - horizontal, vertical - not a big deal for me.

Ah this is interesting, so it was under the screen. My 17 did not have this much space but cup holders.

Yes, I installed the updated cupholder on my 12 and that is one thing I hugely prefer vs the new ones or my wifes new 3. There's so much storage in there -- can put a nalgene water bottle, a regular coffee cup if im careful, whatever -- the dividers allow you to organize it however you like.

Reactions: asterothe
The early Model Ss had nothing under the screen. Just carpet along the yacht floor (had forgotten that term). They had that small compartment that snapped on later under the screen which was super useful.

Your 2 cents are worth so much more than that to me! I had some more time behind the wheel of the new one, and I agree pretty much with what everyone mentioned. In my trials, the predictive shifting never worked and I ended up using the screen - not so bad at all - I didn't even need to "get used to it". I do wonder how it'll be with gloves on, but something to get used to. The lack of turn stalks got me every time, and I laughed each time I played air guitar. I soon warmed up to them, but did find myself taking my eyes off the road to look at the buttons I was about to press. When making S turns, I can see how the lack of stalks will just make me more of a bimmer driver and not use the signals at all because I'd usually just stick my finger out while the wheel is centering back and nail the stalk on the alternate rotation without thinking about it - when the wheel is upside down, having to think about pressing the correct button with my right hand is never going to be something I'm going to learn.

I haven't tried parallel parking, but I can see how not having the stalk there might be a pita - having to turn my head forward to look at the screen to find the shifter to change direction, instead of just pushing up or down while maneuvering. Certainly not a deal breaker.

Someone mentioned the 250KW supercharging - I had not even considered that. My 2012 only charges at 90, so 250 is a HUGE deal. I wish I had posted sooner, kinda late to take advantage of my one-time unlimited supercharger transfer by end of year :(

Regarding the "bones". I feel quite the opposite between my 2012, and the new one - I feel like it is a different car - slightly "cheaper" and less polished - yeah, I know, comparing the polish of the early 2012 models is almost laughable, but things like the gen1(2) door handles that had heft to them, were metal, not plastic, and have a pleasant sound when presenting and retracting(when they worked). The new ones (at least the one I drove) feels "cheap", and the door handles sound like a kids toy. These are not complaints, just my observations that struck me.

Thanks for all the feedback - I was really just curios about the fob - got more than I asked for in respsonse! :)
If you pick up a new inventory car, it's not too late I think. But check.

The old S's had what they call a "Yacht" floor between the front seats.
View attachment 998447

Perfect place for me to drop my lapto bag without consuming a seat, or the wife and her purse.
I don't mind the screen orientation - horizontal, vertical - not a big deal for me.
Just got the 2023 Model S. It's a big step up from the 2012 P85 in many ways. Some things are a step back but overall, nice upgrade. You'll love it. Sounds like some new features like front bumper camera and new steering wheel coming soon too so might be worth waiting a month or two to see what happens.

Just got the 2023 Model S. It's a big step up from the 2012 P85 in many ways. Some things are a step back but overall, nice upgrade. You'll love it. Sounds like some new features like front bumper camera and new steering wheel coming soon too so might be worth waiting a month or two to see what happens.
Again, there are no substantial rumors of a front bumper camera coming to the MS/X. They are based on a rendering that had a shadow.