Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Original 2012 S Owner considering trade in for 2023 model - questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the 2023 Model S. It's a big step up from the 2012 P85 in many ways. Some things are a step back but overall, nice upgrade. You'll love it. Sounds like some new features like front bumper camera and new steering wheel coming soon too so might be worth waiting a month or two to see what happens.
Just curious, what do you consider a step back in the 2023 from your 2012 ?

Again, there are no substantial rumors of a front bumper camera coming to the MS/X. They are based on a rendering that had a shadow.
It's been found in the firmware by that hacker Green I think it was. So I imagine it's coming soon. In the next 3-4 months most likely. But could be much longer too.

People should buy when they are ready as you could be waiting forever on some things.

Just curious, what do you consider a step back in the 2023 from your 2012 ?
The steering wheel mostly. Smaller and blocks the display behind it partially. The horn (which I guess is being fixed) and the lack or turn signal stalk and gear selector (more minor). I did like the vertical center display better too but Tesla could work on that by shifting the interface over an inch so right side of steering wheel doesn't block view. They really didn't think that through.

But the new car is much more refined. Much more powerful than the 2012 performance version (P85). Quiter and handles better. The cameras of course are cool along with Autopilot safety features and the Dashcam/sentry mode. My car was one of first 100 made but held up really well. Quite amazing really. Could easily have driven it for another few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drew-MS
Again, there are no substantial rumors of a front bumper camera coming to the MS/X. They are based on a rendering that had a shadow.
A front camera would be cool. You know what'd be cooler? A telescopic camera that would extend a foot or so behind the bumper when shifting into reverse so I could see left and right when pulling out of a tight parking spot - especially if both vehicles next to me were trucks or other large vehicles that block "over the shoulder" glance.
1704835935685.png