Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rich Rebuilds CPO disaster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whether Rich has been pleasant or not isn't really relevant.

Rich brings up some very good customer service issues with how Tesla handles used vehicles.

I don't agree.

Rich brought up HIS issue with how Tesla handled HIS issue.

We all know that people don't usually seek out a place to report their good experiences. So Rich had a bad one.....

What does that say about the entire Tesla company?

Its as simple as this:

2rdt38.jpg

I don't agree.

Rich brought up HIS issue with how Tesla handled HIS issue.

We all know that people don't usually seek out a place to report their good experiences. So Rich had a bad one.....

What does that say about the entire Tesla company?

If you watched the video all the way through he does bring in issues that other people have experienced with used vehicle sales from Tesla. He didn't just talk about how Tesla handles his issue.

Reactions: GreenT and GSP
I really hope Tesla improves there processes...they are landing rockets in the ocean...certainly fixing back office processes should be cake. This stuff is all fixable..Elon needs an operations guy like Tim Cook to fix the mess. With the mounting customer complaints, and especially in the Youtube community and the disappearance of the referral program...all the YouTube fanboys may have less of a reason to be brand ambassadors for Tesla.

Reactions: ricohman
I really hope Tesla improves there processes...they are landing rockets in the ocean...certainly fixing back office processes should be cake. This stuff is all fixable..Elon needs an operations guy like Tim Cook to fix the mess. With the mounting customer complaints, and especially in the Youtube community and the disappearance of the referral program...all the YouTube fanboys may have less of a reason to be brand ambassadors for Tesla.

It is like saying if we can land a man on the Moon, we can (insert whatever you want) here.

In a lot of way, delivering good and consistent customer service to your customers is actually more challenging than just a straight technical problem.

Musk understands how to fix technical problems. I really think he just doesn't understand how to deliver good consistent customer service across hundreds of thousands of customers. It takes a focus and consistency that he just doesn't have. Musk really needs to bring somebody on-board that understands how to do customer service and give them the resources to deliver that customer service.

Like the recent Rich video. Somebody relatively high-up at Tesla felt they had to fly out to the East Coast to try and fix the issues that Rich is having. This person felt that picking up the phone and talking to the local leadership that the issue wouldn't be handled properly. That tells a lot about the culture of Tesla that nobody local was trusted to deal with this customer service FUBAR.

It is like saying if we can land a man on the Moon, we can (insert whatever you want) here.

In a lot of way, delivering good and consistent customer service to your customers is actually more challenging than just a straight technical problem.

Musk understands how to fix technical problems. I really think he just doesn't understand how to deliver good consistent customer service across hundreds of thousands of customers. It takes a focus and consistency that he just doesn't have. Musk really needs to bring somebody on-board that understands how to do customer service and give them the resources to deliver that customer service.

You're right.

Elon has an engineer/designer mindset and is not good at sales/sales psychology - he's a socially awkward person as if that wasn't clear by reading his tweets. It's his way or the highway at Tesla and when something doesn't go the right way, the people on the team with the problem face the consequences, usually termination. You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't @ Tesla... hence the revolving door of executives and other employees.

• Love
Reactions: mos6507 and GreenT
What? Delorian went out of business without selling a mass amount of cars.

What are you talking about?

First, it's DELOREAN. Please spell it correctly.

Second, you clearly do not know the history of the Delorean Motor Company.

Third, you said, and I quote:

Tesla is already successful. It's historical already. You can unsuccess them.

Case in point, you can "unsuccess" them. It happened to JZD, and it can happen with Elon Musk, too... when big governments and Detroit put their minds to put down a formidable competitor. He didn't "go out of business". He was illegally framed and exonerated of all charges against him. But in the process, the bad press was enough to kill his company and his life. If Margaret Thatcher, Ronald Reagan and GM didn't conspire to disgrace JZD, he wouldn't have been forced to go out of business, and would likely still be a viable company today.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: GSP
If you watched the video all the way through he does bring in issues that other people have experienced with used vehicle sales from Tesla. He didn't just talk about how Tesla handles his issue.

Tesla has received and handled tens of thousands of service calls...I'm sure.

I don't believe for one moment that Rich and his mentions represents Tesla's service experience as a whole.

First, it's DELOREAN. Please spell it correctly.

Second, you clearly do not know the history of the Delorean Motor Company.

Third, you said, and I quote:

Case in point, you can "unsuccess" them. It happened to JDZ, and it can happen with Elon Musk, too... when big governments and Detroit put their minds to put down a formidable competitor. He didn't "go out of business". He was illegally framed and exonerated of all charges against him. But in the process, the bad press was enough to kill his company and his life. If Margaret Thatcher, Ronald Reagan and GM didn't conspire to disgrace JZD, he wouldn't have been forced to go out of business, and would likely still be a viable company today.

From 81-83 there were about 9000 DeLorean cars built. That's their history. That by no means is a successful effort.

Tesla is currently sitting at over a half a million Tesla's sold in the US alone. That's success that can't be turned back no matter what the future holds.

Last edited:
anyone following this CPO nightmare from rich rebuilds on youtube? ordered his preowned X almost 3 months ago and tesla still has no idea what the **** is going on with the car.

the incompetence of this company is frankly amazing. it's actually almost borderline hilarious how incompetent tesla is.

Asking ... What kind of guy documents every step of car purchase, including recording the phone ?

• Funny
Reactions: Garlan Garner
From 81-83 there were about 9000 DeLorean cars built. That's their history. That by no means is a successful effort.

Tesla is currently sitting at over a half a million Tesla's sold in the US alone. That's success that can't be turned back no matter what the future holds.

It's not about the absolute numbers.

It is absolutely possible to "unsuccess" Tesla if there is enough motivation to do so.

By the way, John Delorean built a new factory in Northern Ireland in the middle of phenomenal sectarian violence, on a plot of dirt right between the Catholic and Protestants residential areas. (see: The Troubles - Wikipedia). He sold than three times more Deloreans in two years than Elon Musk sold Roadsters in the same period of time. And Delorean was designing and building the entire car. Elon took an existing car and stuffed in a motor and battery. Big difference.

Like the recent Rich video. Somebody relatively high-up at Tesla felt they had to fly out to the East Coast to try and fix the issues that Rich is having. This person felt that picking up the phone and talking to the local leadership that the issue wouldn't be handled properly. That tells a lot about the culture of Tesla that nobody local was trusted to deal with this customer service FUBAR.

I think you are missing my point, and I'll share one metric to prove it..they are going through tremendous growth, greater than 200% a year, and just haven't invested enough money in supporting service, sales, and infrastructure for these cars. Most cities, have 1-2 service centers max, do you think that will be enough to support the 180k Model 3s they have shipped in just 2018, I think not. As someone who has purchased cars through CPO and Manheim, I can tell you they are not ready to support the tidal waves of cars they just sold. And they had to make those numbers or the stock would have been in the dumps...hence the quest to go private a few months ago.

Additionally, all those 12k-15k leases that are ending from 2015/2016/2017 they are not ready to handle them. Hence, they paired up with Manheim. Manheim is fine for dealers who can fix cars, but Tesla does not share service history or anything about the car till you buy it. Guess what, that's the rub, and that is the point Rich is making. Tesla buyers expect more, and the fact that they moved the CPO program to a used car program is almost kind of shady. I will end with this, if you have not bought a CPO in the last 2-6 months, you probably had a average or okay experience perhaps. The last few months have become considerably worse than people who bought 17/early 18. Additionally, what city you live in also makes a big difference. In california, things are way busier and more cars than some other states. IN fact 50% of all teslas are sold in california, so experience will vary state to state.
Tstats.png
But just look at how many cars they sold in 2015-2016, those lease returns are all coming in, and Tesla does not have infrastructure to handle them.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and dhanson865
It's not about the absolute numbers.

It is absolutely possible to "unsuccess" Tesla if there is enough motivation to do so.

By the way, John Delorean built a new factory in Northern Ireland in the middle of phenomenal sectarian violence, on a plot of dirt right between the Catholic and Protestants residential areas. (see: The Troubles - Wikipedia). He sold than three times more Deloreans in two years than Elon Musk sold Roadsters in the same period of time. And Delorean was designing and building the entire car. Elon took an existing car and stuffed in a motor and battery. Big difference.

You certainly have the Big difference right. roadsters? You are talking roadster sales? lol....I don't even have to respond to that.

BTW...Tesla sells more than just roadsters.

Again...Tesla has won Superbowls of car manufacturers.

Muhammad Ali - is still known as "The Champ" He got beat.
Michael Jordan - is still known as the best backetball player EVER. he got beat at times.
Past US presidents are still being called Mr. President.
Albert Einstein is known as the best mind in his field. There were smarter overall people.
Mr. Tesla is known as the best in his field....hence we are here typing now.

Sometimes you can't be dethroned and concerning the EV market....tesla will never be dethroned as the first in tons of categories.