Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rich Rebuilds CPO disaster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was stunned to watch both of those, but, sadly, Tesla's level of incompetence in some things is just beyond the pale.

Tesla's supposedly a very hard place to get hired, and they regularly "purge" staff as well. You would think nothing but excellence would result, but, no, that's far, far from the case, as this example demonstrates.

I have similar tales of utter incompetence on the Tesla Energy side of the house from family and friends, and we too have endured them on occasion.

Perhaps Elon might consider some significant upgrades in CRM software, or do an occasional "deep dive" into disasters like this--they aren't rare.

This is one of Tesla's largest weaknesses, and it's just not getting fixed.

That should keep him up at night.

p.s. BUT, on the flip side, we have dealt with a large number of very, very competent and helpful staff, especially on the retail end. Now if they'd just fix the Tesla trade-in process: they could STOP renting ICE cars, provide much fresher, non-trashed service loaners, and perhaps even start doing some easy refurbishment again before they sell them as HIGH QUALITY CPO's. Just one example: Tesla makes a lot of its own interior trim, including the points that show the most wear such as the door scuff plates, B-pillar trim, etc. Wouldn't it be great to swap those out, throw in fresh floor mats, POST SOME HIGH QUALITY PICTURES, and start placing these CPO's on a well organized website (with some good SEO) and let's get more people in Tesla CPO's!

Last edited:
Tesla too busy crushing Wall St analysts in Q4 to worry about an individual CPO Model X.

Right, wrong or indifferent - that’s just how it is.

Customers drive sales. Tesla does not advertise and relies on word of mouth to generate sales. Potential customers are seeing how the sales and service model is deteriorating.

There is no escalation point available and no short or long term fix in sight.

This is not a good look.

Imagine if he'd had delivery then the car was in an accident. These days it takes months to get parts. My car has been >four months and still does not have all the needed parts, with several ones arriving damaged or incorrectly labeled. Slow delivery, bad! Poor parts delivery, worse!

FWIW, before into of Model 3 the situation was much, much better. The total infrastructure has thus far been unable to deal with the volume growth.

It will improve, but when? In the meantime I hope that Model X will be delivered soon and in perfect condition.

Reactions: GSP
That should keep him up at night.

No. I can think of a few more things that should be keeping him up:

1.) Not having sales fall off of a cliff after Q4 pull forward.
2.) Gigafactory 3
3.) European Model 3 homogolation
4.) How to deflect 35K questions on Q4 conference call

Tesla owes me $3,500 from a second Model 3 I cancelled on Nov 1st. No response after half a dozen emails.

I would hope and expect they take care of Rich before me but I see the big picture of things.

Wisdom tells you that obvious things are not always so obvious.

Customers drive sales. Tesla does not advertise and relies on word of mouth to generate sales. Potential customers are seeing how the sales and service model is deteriorating.

There is no escalation point available and no short or long term fix in sight.

This is not a good look.

For every one Rich, there’s another 60,000 newly minted Model 3 owners in Q4 hawking off their ref codes to get forged Model 3 wheels.

I don’t expect Tesla to stand still forever with their support issues. Once the more pressing stuff is addressed, I’m sure they hire a customer service czar that sorts this out. In mean time, local managers need to have more discretion to just “handle things”.

Much the same way the Taycan isn’t the Tesla killer. You beat the 2015 Model S, great. Heres the 2020 Model S refresh that comes out when the Taycan does and at 100,000 cars a year versus 20,000 and with cheaper kw cost.

Lastly, Tesla doesn’t really want to be in the CPO business. It makes no sense to invest time dealing with one used car when they can sell 50 of them with the same effort. I expect they spin this off to an entity that has lower opportunity costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA
No. I can think of a few more things that should be keeping him up:

1.) Not having sales fall off of a cliff after Q4 pull forward.
2.) Gigafactory 3
3.) European Model 3 homogolation
4.) How to deflect 35K questions on Q4 conference call

Tesla owes me $3,500 from a second Model 3 I cancelled on Nov 1st. No response after half a dozen emails.

I would hope and expect they take care of Rich before me but I see the big picture of things.

Wisdom tells you that obvious things are not always so obvious.

For every one Rich, there’s another 60,000 newly minted Model 3 owners in Q4 hawking off their ref codes to get forged Model 3 wheels.

I don’t expect Tesla to stand still forever with their support issues. Once the more pressing stuff is addressed, I’m sure they hire a customer service czar that sorts this out. In mean time, local managers need to have more discretion to just “handle things”.

Much the same way the Taycan isn’t the Tesla killer. You beat the 2015 Model S, great. Heres the 2020 Model S refresh that comes out when the Taycan does and at 100,000 cars a year versus 20,000 and with cheaper kw cost.

Lastly, Tesla doesn’t really want to be in the CPO business. It makes no sense to invest time dealing with one used car when they can sell 50 of them with the same effort. I expect they spin this off to an entity that has lower opportunity costs.

I guess we will see when they test them back to back. Competition is good for everything about EV development.

Reactions: GSP and MXWing
I guess we will see when they test them back to back. Competition is good for everything about EV development.

Absolutely. We don't want Tesla to ever get complacent. However ego doesn't allow them to lose at anything.

While it seems incredibly silly why they can't take of one owner like Rich I like it to this analogy.

The UN was founded in 1945. Almost 75 years later, why don't we have world peace yet?

As with most things in the universe, "it's complicated".

The thing is that there are alternative luxury car companies-- hell, for that matter, there's Toyota-- who provide excellent CPO programs with professionally prepared cars, delivered the same day; have ready availability of virtually any part you can desire, and overall provide a much, much better ownership and service experience-- if you can stomach owning an ICE, of course!

Heck, Tesla doesn't even pretend to spiff up its CPO cars any more.

That said, my personal experiences with Tesla service since 2013 have been excellent. I was even able to get a new front bumper cover in a week for a repair a few years ago. I needed a cracked windshield replaced on my 2016 Model S a year ago and Tesla showed up with a flatbed truck, took it to the Gigafactory (I live in Reno), and had it back the next day. True, they did try to charge me separately for a new rain sensor before I pointed out the HW2 cars don't have rain sensors, but other than that it was fine.

(Well, the car was returned absolutely filthy. Acura and Audi always return my cars freshly washed.)

I understand Tesla no longer provides valet service. Since the Gigafactory has no front-facing customer service, I wonder if that means I'd have to go to Rocklin the next time I need service. We'll see.

Looks like Rich bought directly from the Tesla website....which sells USED cars. No mention about CPO...but has circled below..there is a 70 point inspection:
New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

upload_2019-1-14_9-59-41.png

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: CyberShy and glide
Looks like Rich bought directly from the Tesla website....which sells USED cars. No mention about CPO...but has circled below..there is a 70 point inspection:
New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

View attachment 368867

We get it. The label of new/used/CPO has nothing to do with them not being able to provide the vehicle to him for 3 months.

New and used car transactions, anyplace else on the planet, take place within a day or two. I’ve never purchased a vehicle in inventory that I had to wait for.