Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride difference between model Y Long Range and Performance packages?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a pre-sales question.

Looking through all the posts, I'm having a hard time understanding several things:
  1. I assume the only way to get the 3.5 second 0-60 performance is to buy the Performance package?
  2. Other than speed, what is the difference in ride quality?
  3. The website says the Performance package has a lower chassis height. Is the height adjustable from the control panel? What's the difference in chassis height in the 2 modes?
TIA!
Richard

Looking through all the posts, I'm having a hard time understanding several things:
  1. I assume the only way to get the 3.5 second 0-60 performance is to buy the Performance package?
  3. The website says the Performance package has a lower chassis height. Is the height adjustable from the control panel? What's the difference in chassis height in the 2 modes?
TIA!
Richard
1. Yes. The acceleration boost upgrade with the LR will give you a 0 to 60 time of about 4.2 seconds. The P will feel quicker from a stop and in lower speed driving. At higher speeds, the difference is less pronounced. I think the quarter-mile times are similar.
2. I previously had a 2021 LR and currently have a 2022 MYP. I think that the suspension in the P is appropriately firm for a performance trim. It is great on smooth roads, and you will definitely feel the bumps on the typical American city streets. My 2021 LR had a very unrefined suspension that was “flinty” and crashed over bumps. They have since upgraded the suspension, so you may want to test drive both the P and the LR.
3. The P rides 0.6 inches lower than the LR. I did not notice a significant difference in every day driving. The suspension is not adjustable (no air suspension). For air suspension, you would have to move up to the S or X.

El joe,

Wow, thanks very much for the detailed answer. I test drove a Y with the P package, but in the Chill or "grandma mode" as my daughter calls it.. I thought the ride and handling was superb, far better than a BMW I once owned..

So, was the ride I experienced in this car had due to it having the Performance package? If so,, I guess I'll need to test drive an LR too.

Thanks again!
Richard

I would highly suggest scheduling back to back test drives if your local site has the P available. We test drove the LR and then took the P overnight. I honestly liked the way the suspension felt on the P and we ordered ours when we turned it back in from the overnight test drive. We pick it up next Friday.

I would highly suggest scheduling back to back test drives if your local site has the P available. We test drove the LR and then took the P overnight. I honestly liked the way the suspension felt on the P and we ordered ours when we turned it back in from the overnight test drive. We pick it up next Friday.
Agree on back to back test drive. We actually found the LR to have a better ride however the difference didn't seem to be much. I wanted 19" tires so LR was winner.

I had a 2022 long range and the ride was terrible. I now have a 2023 performance and a 2023 long range and the ride qualities in both are very good. The only time the performance ride quality suffers is under hard braking on a rough road or hitting a pothole. I may put 19 inch rims on the performance. I suspect the ride quality will be nearly identical to the model Y long range on 19 rims. Both cars are very fast. The model y performance is just a little bit more amazing. You can't make a wrong decision here. Good luck.

TIA!
Richard

1. Officially Yes, performance is the only way to get that power. Unofficially, you have aftermarket solutions such as Ingenext Ghost Mod | TMC Thread, as long as you have the following requirement of a rear 980 or 4D1 motor. It's been alluded to that it may perform better than a factory performance sans warranty. YMMV.

You also have official Acceleration Boost for Model Y Long Range to get you close to those specs at about 4.2 second 0-60 which then tapers down inpower similar to a Model Y Performance. I'd say on a highway a Boosted MYLR will be very competitive with a MYP.

2. Slight difference. Performance is little lower with larger diameter wheels in it's factory spec. Keep in mind this can easily be changed, no limitations here with suspension, wheels and tires. ZEVcentric did a solid comparison. Check it out

3. See Above. Model 3 and Y do not have adustable air suspension. You can always go aftermarket.

Tesla 0-60 times for Perfirmace trim options don’t count the first 1 foot rollout. Ie they don’t start the timer until the car has moved a foot.
I personally don’t agree with that method, however it is what it is.
What I have a big problem with is the fact the long range and acceleration boosted cars are quoted *without* rollout which means the timer starts immediately the car starts moving.
What this means is you have to add time; about 0.2 - 0.3s to the quoted time of the performance model to compare it to the quoted time of the non performance cars because the testing/timing methods are different.
So in real world use you’ll find the performance is about 0.3s better in the performance model vs a boosted long range. And almost all of that is off the line, once rolling above about 30mph there is virtually no difference.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Tesla 0-60 times for Perfirmace trim options don’t count the first 1 foot rollout. Ie they don’t start the timer until the car has moved a foot.
What I have a big problem with is the fact the long range and acceleration boosted cars are quoted *without* rollout which means the timer starts immediately the car starts moving.
What this means is you have to add time; about 0.2 - 0.3s to the quoted time of the performance model to compare it to the quoted time of the non performance cars because the testing/timing methods are different.
So in real world use you’ll find the performance is about 0.3s better in the performance model vs a boosted long range. And almost all of that is off the line, once rolling above about 30mph there is virtually no difference.
I have both. The LR is no slouch and has terrific acceleration, but I when I drive it I miss the extra power of the MYP. It is noticeable at all speeds and especially so at lower speeds.

Reactions: Turknhoff
AGREED. When I test drove the LR, its acceleration knocked my socks off ( I had to leave 'em on the road they were so far behind me 🤓 ).

It's SO dangerous to test drive these things, I was instantly addicted. It's definitely a heroinobile.

As I understand it, the justification for the rollout method is that such an effect has been the case at drag strips for years and permits modern method comparisons with historical racing.

Briefly, at a track two light beams are used. When staging, the car covers the first and not the second which is about a foot back. Timing starts when the second is uncovered, thus the 1 foot rollout (see Wikipedia for "rollout").

I agree they should be uniform, but allowing Performance models to compare with drag racers is useful.