Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ridiculous "cpo" buying experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the Dallas TX area and I took delivery of my Model S on 10/31/18 and I have not receive my title. I was told it would take another 2 to 3 weeks before I would receive my title. I was wondering if anyone else had this experience?

Yes it's a common problem. Give them some time and they will get around it. For some reason the delays tesla has to provide the titles is very long.

Ok so of course no one called me back yesterday like they promised. So I called them this am. The rep tried to serve me the same BS about the SA would call me back I told her I don't think so. She put me on hold came back said she had to step away from her desk to go check on the status of this and she would call back. Sounded like some more BS. Of course she did not call back.
So I called again talked to someone else who said the rep I talked to this am did the same crap aka "sent my inquiries to the SA and her manager". I started to get a bit angry seriously. Told her this was messed up. She tried to tell me they had to move the car from MD to PA where I live. I told her the SC in Baltimore is much closer than the other one in PA as I live close to the MD border and I specifically chose that one since it was listed as being in Baltimore in the first place. So apparently they have no idea where the car is or where it's supposed to be delivered. Quite pathetic.
A few min ago the delivery guy called and told some truth saying the delivery will take weeks without saying why. By then the quote they gave me for my trade won't be accurate and will decrease making me lose some money due to their incompetence. He told me to sell it to carmax lol.
So I will keep posting updates here but whoa. OMG. RIDICULOUS.

I agree 100% with you regarding the process and wasted time but I doubt you will lose your trade in value if it's tesla's fault. At the end of the day I'm sure you'll be more than happy with your new car!

I myself decided to recently upgrade and I also wished they were a little faster however I already drive a Tesla so I can understand how you must feel

Relax my friend! Everything will be fine. They told me they had no idea where my car was either, until I kept calling and was able to talk to someone who confirmed it was en route to San Diego. The communication by Tesla is extremely poor, and I doubt it will get better, so just sit back and wait until you get contacted by them to schedule your delivery!

Honestly, these cars are WELL worth the hassle of buying used via the CPO program. Your going to love your Model S.
Thanks a lot. From wht everyone says this appears to be the way things are if you want a cpo program so I will chill a bit and wait..

I agree 100% with you regarding the process and wasted time but I doubt you will lose your trade in value if it's tesla's fault. At the end of the day I'm sure you'll be more than happy with your new car!

I myself decided to recently upgrade and I also wished they were a little faster however I already drive a Tesla so I can understand how you must feel
I surely hope the loss in value won't be an issue. Was even thinking about asking if I could look for another one and transfer my deposit to it but from the looks of it the process would probably just start all over again and might be worse unless a miracle happens. So I will wait for now. Thank you

I surely hope the loss in value won't be an issue. Was even thinking about asking if I could look for another one and transfer my deposit to it but from the looks of it the process would probably just start all over again and might be worse unless a miracle happens. So I will wait for now. Thank you

Hey Mave, I really won't worry about it... hell, it's tesla's fault. You can't be "punished" for their lack of communication/execution.

I'm in the same boat as you... ordered my CPO 90D 2 weeks ago and have only spoken with the tesla sale's person once. They seem overloaded with requests but I figured that, in my case, they need to ship the car from on SC to another so it really doesn't matter for now if the process with the sales rep takes a little longer (the car needs to be physically in Montreal for me to take delivery anyways). In the meantime, I've done the steps to secure my financing and as soon as that is done (I'm financing with my bank) then I'll start being a little more annoying... ie calling them daily or each 2 days.

Just give them a little time... keep calling them at each 2 days but remain calm and I'm sure everything will settle on it' s own.

It seems to be eastern US related. In September 2017 I put down a deposit on a car in NY, I live in Socal. Long story short I finally got the car at the end of December only to be rear ended two weeks later by a drunk driver. Glad I was in the tesla as my whole family was safe but it took another 3 months to get my car back.
Other than that my CPO has been great and well worth the wait, 19,000 miles in about 7 months of actually having the car in my possession.

Long story short Tesla has a ton of work to do but patience is important otherwise you will be driven crazy. Also, don’t sell your car until you have the Tesla, unless you can manage without having a car.

It seems to be eastern US related. In September 2017 I put down a deposit on a car in NY, I live in Socal. Long story short I finally got the car at the end of December only to be rear ended two weeks later by a drunk driver. Glad I was in the tesla as my whole family was safe but it took another 3 months to get my car back.
Other than that my CPO has been great and well worth the wait, 19,000 miles in about 7 months of actually having the car in my possession.

Long story short Tesla has a ton of work to do but patience is important otherwise you will be driven crazy. Also, don’t sell your car until you have the Tesla, unless you can manage without having a car.
3 months? ok I guess my little 2 weeks will be stretched quite a bit lol. I am starting to get mentally prepared for the long wait. And no I am going to wait and trade the car in (a S550) which will yield significant tax savings. Besides the fact that I will be walking 15 miles to work daily. And 50 miles to go pick up the tesla once it's ready LOL

3 months? ok I guess my little 2 weeks will be stretched quite a bit lol. I am starting to get mentally prepared for the long wait. And no I am going to wait and trade the car in (a S550) which will yield significant tax savings. Besides the fact that I will be walking 15 miles to work daily. And 50 miles to go pick up the tesla once it's ready LOL

After 1 month without a car and 3 missed delivery dates Tesla eased the pain by giving me a P85 loaner until the day I picked up my car. They also paid for two years of maintenance. I hear they don’t do this anymore though.
Things will move quick once they get the car in hand at the Service center doing the inspection.

It makes me sad to hear the used Tesla experience has gone down hill since I bought mine in September 2018. It was impossible to get a hold of someone before making the deposit, but once I placed the deposit I had an email and phone call the next day and a pickup time a week after that. There were definitely some issues with the process, but nothing like what's been going on lately. Something needs to change.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and darxsys
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I recently bought a demo and it was pretty smooth. However, I called the closest Tesla store (Kansas City in my case) and dealt with someone there (Harmony). She was fantastic to work with. The car I wanted was sold while I was still hemming and hawing over whether to upgrade. She was great about looking for other cars that matched what we wanted, she responded quickly to emails, texts, and phone calls.

Idk if they're less busy in the midwest or what but I would definitely recommend working w/ someone at a store instead of calling the 800 number.

All that being said, if they try to decrease your trade-in value I would push back on that hard since the delays are not your fault.

My honest advice, don't even bother with used Tesla vehicles right now.

The biggest issue is no one looks over the actual vehicle itself. Tires could be completely bald, rims bent, alignment off, things you might never expect or take certain things for granted.

Tesla's orientation is towards producing and delivering 7000 new cars a week.

2rdt38.jpg

My honest advice, don't even bother with used Tesla vehicles right now.

The biggest issue is no one looks over the actual vehicle itself. Tires could be completely bald, rims bent, alignment off, things you might never expect or take certain things for granted.

Tesla's orientation is towards producing and delivering 7000 new cars a week.

2rdt38.jpg
I like that picture! Perfectly summarizes the situation. Really instead of trying to apologize or offer some incentives maybe some free service or even floor mats or whatever they think it's normal to treat customers like this.
I'll give it until next week. If they continue to ignore me or no delivery date I will consider filing a charge back with my CC and look at other options.

Reactions: MXWing
I like that picture! Perfectly summarizes the situation. Really instead of trying to apologize or offer some incentives maybe some free service or even floor mats or whatever they think it's normal to treat customers like this.
I'll give it until next week. If they continue to ignore me or no delivery date I will consider filing a charge back with my CC and look at other options.

I am sorry for this. I am a two time Tesla customer and I seriously expect that I would get no better treatment than you if I was in your situation. If I did, I would chalk it up to luck.

I just dont get why they don't just hire a customer service czar that sees things like this and finds a way to get it done.

Some autonomy for the front line people to make decisions on the customers behalf would go a long ways.

Site owners should put CPO in the language filter. Only instead of displaying *** it should replace it with Used.

I don't think anyone gives a rat's behind what they call it and people can call it whatever they like and I doubt anyone paying their hard earned money for a CPO car cares what it is called, just as long as they receive an undamaged car as can be expected at any other used car dealer selling cars in the same price range.

The point here is not what silly acronym is used to describe the product but treating customers fairly with a quality product and try to match the quality and service you would get when buying a used Kia from a Kia dealer. Apparently that is tough bar to meet whether you call it Used, CPO, or Wiener Schnitzel.

Also no matter what something is called, anyone paying around $60K for a used car deserves to be treated with a minimum degree of respect and care such as answering customers questions, keeping promises made for delivery, presenting a quality product, an accurate representation of the product, and you know living up to at least the level of service and customer care offered by a typical sleazy used car dealer. Sadly, we have some ways to go to reach that point and hopefully customer service will be an area of focus for improvement this year.

What I really find amusing are apologists for the horrible treatment of customers as if this problem can be fixed by substituting a word.

Pretending that calling CPO cars used cars solves any problem is like pretending you can fix a brain aneurysm by calling it a headache... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It’s an incredibly unusual process, and feels very foreign. If your experience is similar to mine though, they will make right anything that goes wrong. They ended up giving me rental car for 1 month for example. Try not to get in your head too much because it will just cause sleepless nights.

Reactions: Nick B
It’s an incredibly unusual process, and feels very foreign. If your experience is similar to mine though, they will make right anything that goes wrong. They ended up giving me rental car for 1 month for example. Try not to get in your head too much because it will just cause sleepless nights.
Yes not sure what the issue was but the local delivery center called me yesterday said apparently they just got the vehicle. Bad news is they found a large scratch on the fender which was not on the dropbox pictures. She asked if I was aware I said no of course. She asked if I still wanted to pick I said yes I will take a look. So appointment is set for 1/22. Of course she said they could not fix it they don't do bodywork so I guess on top of all the stuff I went through I'm supposed to figure out where to go and pay to fix this.

Attachments

• download.jpgcar.jpg
    download.jpgcar.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 185
Yes not sure what the issue was but the local delivery center called me yesterday said apparently they just got the vehicle. Bad news is they found a large scratch on the fender which was not on the dropbox pictures. She asked if I was aware I said no of course. She asked if I still wanted to pick I said yes I will take a look. So appointment is set for 1/22. Of course she said they could not fix it they don't do bodywork so I guess on top of all the stuff I went through I'm supposed to figure out where to go and pay to fix this.

Why not reject delivery and ask them to find you a car that is not damaged? CPO prices only continue to go down.

Worrying about fixing up a used car and in this price range and dealing with out of pocket body shop repairs should not be your problem.

I did ask her about other stuff like tires etc.. she had no idea of the condition and stated that would be part of the inspection process. I thought those were already inspected with the 70 pts inpsection before being labeled "cpo". I guess I shall see