Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ridiculous "cpo" buying experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes not sure what the issue was but the local delivery center called me yesterday said apparently they just got the vehicle. Bad news is they found a large scratch on the fender which was not on the dropbox pictures. She asked if I was aware I said no of course. She asked if I still wanted to pick I said yes I will take a look. So appointment is set for 1/22. Of course she said they could not fix it they don't do bodywork so I guess on top of all the stuff I went through I'm supposed to figure out where to go and pay to fix this.
It looks to be in the plastic. Fix it yourself with touch up paint, if the rest of the car is good.

I am seriously considering that option
If delivery center isn’t too far, go check the car out at delivery. The people at the actual delivery center are usually great and can probably call the Tesla remarketibg team about any Non photographed damage and get a due bill for it to be repaired/replaced. You can also ask for the local delivery experience manager to address the problem and they’re usually pretty reasonable. The local teams recognize the problems with the pictures and whole used sales process and told me Tesla fires the first company hired to take the pictures due to the horrible quality and frequently not capturing damage.

If delivery center isn’t too far, go check the car out at delivery. The people at the actual delivery center are usually great and can probably call the Tesla remarketibg team about any Non photographed damage and get a due bill for it to be repaired/replaced. You can also ask for the local delivery experience manager to address the problem and they’re usually pretty reasonable. The local teams recognize the problems with the pictures and whole used sales process and told me Tesla fires the first company hired to take the pictures due to the horrible quality and frequently not capturing damage.
Thanks for the advice it's about 1hr away so I will definitely go take a look in person and try to get them to do something about fixing it

I did ask her about other stuff like tires etc.. she had no idea of the condition and stated that would be part of the inspection process. I thought those were already inspected with the 70 pts inpsection before being labeled "cpo". I guess I shall see
From what I can tell, they don’t inspect the car until the very last moment. I would tell your sales advisor that you’re pretty much not going to accept it like that because you feel it was purposely hidden. Tell him/her that you believe the scratch is the result of shipping and should not be your responsibility. Also some delivery centers care about customers and others are burnt out.

Reactions: PhilDavid
From what I can tell, they don’t inspect the car until the very last moment. I would tell your sales advisor that you’re pretty much not going to accept it like that because you feel it was purposely hidden. Tell him/her that you believe the scratch is the result of shipping and should not be your responsibility. Also some delivery centers care about customers and others are burnt out.

I would tell them that you are not looking for a damaged car that requires you to drive the car to a body shop before you can even enjoy it. Dealing with body shops is not fun and even more so when you are paying for everything. Imagine weeks and months of delays and what if the body shop repainting/repairs are not done properly? You'd have to do that all over again.

Plus you are paying insurance for a car you can't drive and paying around $1,000 or more monthly depreciation for a car you can't drive along with all the stress of dealing with a body shop as if your car has been in an accident the day you bought it.

Don't know why anyone would want to pay these prices and then have to deal with a body shop. We know some people are getting undamaged CPO cars so from the beginning tell them you want an undamaged car you can drive home and enjoy in peace and not a car that you need to drive to a body shop.

If people stop accepting damaged cars, they will stop delivering damaged cars.

I have serious concerns as to why they will not publish the 70 point checklist. I am starting to doubt if they do any inspection at all except for a visual. That being said, many owners take good care of thier cars, if for no other reason than to get the max trade in.

So I sent the delivery advisor an email over the week end and I know they do not work on week ends so I was expecting some kind of contact today for the supposed delivery tomorrow as it does not show a delivery date in my tesla. Nothing today so I called only to find out by the receptionist that the delivery team is off today for the holiday. Good for them but even without the body work issue and if I was to pick this up tomorrow I don't know how this would happen. I will see tomorrow what they say. I wanted to at least go inspect the vehicle in person not sure if that will even be possible

So I sent the delivery advisor an email over the week end and I know they do not work on week ends so I was expecting some kind of contact today for the supposed delivery tomorrow as it does not show a delivery date in my tesla. Nothing today so I called only to find out by the receptionist that the delivery team is off today for the holiday. Good for them but even without the body work issue and if I was to pick this up tomorrow I don't know how this would happen. I will see tomorrow what they say. I wanted to at least go inspect the vehicle in person not sure if that will even be possible

Re-send the exact same email, they will respond.

It could take longer than 7 days to find a similar car though. If you have to reject a car due to damage, you should be able to get your deposit back so you can apply it when you find another car.
Ok so they did respond and actually called me I was pleasantly surprised I must say as I was used to being ignored. So I went to look at the car it was in great condition except the bumper. So after a bit of back and forth they agreed to repair it!
The service was great, light years form what I had gotten accustomed to.
Big thanks to everyone for the pieces of advice over this ordeal. By the way the car is fantastic, can't believe I have been driving an ICE all those years

Reactions: BoerumHill
Ok so they did respond and actually called me I was pleasantly surprised I must say as I was used to being ignored. So I went to look at the car it was in great condition except the bumper. So after a bit of back and forth they agreed to repair it!
Big thanks to everyone for the pieces of advice over this ordeal. By the way the car is fantastic, can't believe I have been driving an ICE all those years
Congratulations! Glad they were willing to fix it!

Wow this is such good news and thanks for sharing it with us!

So glad to hear you are getting your car soon and they agreed to fix the damage to the bumper. All your worries will be forgotten soon after you get your car :)

Thank you!
Awesome! They are amazing. It’s just the back and forth customer service stuff that gets you down. They contacted me last week saying I have 72 hours to send them my insurance or they will not be able to register the car with DMV. I told them I have sent it 3 times and will now give them 72 hours to file the paperwork lol. I’ve just learned to keep a good sense of humor about the whole thing. Most of these people are brand new, so I just work with it. I also called to schedule an appointment for anti-theft, and had to explain to him what it is. He said we tried to text you that the part was in. Turns out they sent the text to their own phone number. I’m sure there will be other things along the way, but I will probably still be buying another one for my wife lol.

Just a quick update
I'm glad they agreed to fix the bumper because it was not repairable and the whole front fascia needed replaced. This was probably not cheap. But much worse:
The day I took delivery the batteries in the key fob were low (error message on the dash). This can't be missed by anyone who powered on the car, yet they gave me the car like this, I had to call upon that and waste another 20min for them to get the batteries replaced. Headlights aim was off, could not see anything at night, windshield wipers leave a streak on the windshield, slacker/internet radio was not working. rear tires will need replace soon.
2 days after taking delivery an error message came on the dashboard saying the car might shut off unexpectedly and not restart. Good for me I live about 1.5hrs away from service center so I was able to take it there the next week. Coolant heater was replaced, antenna for internet/sat radio was replaced, they corrected the headlights aim.
Besides the fact that the sales advisor and everyone predelivery treated me like crap, the car itself was a mess. And of course you cant test drive before you pay them in full. The delivery team and service team were great on the other hand.
The lesson here is those "CPO's" are just used cars with extended warranties. Can't wait for the new mercedes EQC, audi already has the etron, jag the i pace. Once Tesla realizes they have competitors maybe they will change but for now they don't care. Apparently the demand for their vehicles is high so they have the "if you don't buy it someone else will" type of mind