Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ridiculous "cpo" buying experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick update
I'm glad they agreed to fix the bumper because it was not repairable and the whole front fascia needed replaced. This was probably not cheap. But much worse:
The day I took delivery the batteries in the key fob were low (error message on the dash). This can't be missed by anyone who powered on the car, yet they gave me the car like this, I had to call upon that and waste another 20min for them to get the batteries replaced. Headlights aim was off, could not see anything at night, windshield wipers leave a streak on the windshield, slacker/internet radio was not working. rear tires will need replace soon.
2 days after taking delivery an error message came on the dashboard saying the car might shut off unexpectedly and not restart. Good for me I live about 1.5hrs away from service center so I was able to take it there the next week. Coolant heater was replaced, antenna for internet/sat radio was replaced, they corrected the headlights aim.
Besides the fact that the sales advisor and everyone predelivery treated me like crap, the car itself was a mess. And of course you cant test drive before you pay them in full. The delivery team and service team were great on the other hand.
The lesson here is those "CPO's" are just used cars with extended warranties. Can't wait for the new mercedes EQC, audi already has the etron, jag the i pace. Once Tesla realizes they have competitors maybe they will change but for now they don't care. Apparently the demand for their vehicles is high so they have the "if you don't buy it someone else will" type of mind

I'm sorry but this is just utterly shameful and no way to treat a customer new or used. I've sad this many times but not even the sleaziest car dealer would treat customers so poorly selling such a poor quality product with absolutely no regard to delivering a product at these prices in reasonable condition.

Somehow Tesla has managed to sink below even what the sleaziest most underhanded car dealer would do. :(

If they are short on cash, why not just charge whatever it takes to sell these cars in reasonable condition?

I feel this is a lack of will and not resources because they could have always added a fee to cover their expenses entailed in selling a quality product. It seems they could not care less about their customers...

I wish a time would come where no Tesla customer is treated this way.

Last edited:
Just a quick update
I'm glad they agreed to fix the bumper because it was not repairable and the whole front fascia needed replaced. This was probably not cheap. But much worse:
The day I took delivery the batteries in the key fob were low (error message on the dash). This can't be missed by anyone who powered on the car, yet they gave me the car like this, I had to call upon that and waste another 20min for them to get the batteries replaced. Headlights aim was off, could not see anything at night, windshield wipers leave a streak on the windshield, slacker/internet radio was not working. rear tires will need replace soon.
2 days after taking delivery an error message came on the dashboard saying the car might shut off unexpectedly and not restart. Good for me I live about 1.5hrs away from service center so I was able to take it there the next week. Coolant heater was replaced, antenna for internet/sat radio was replaced, they corrected the headlights aim.
Besides the fact that the sales advisor and everyone predelivery treated me like crap, the car itself was a mess. And of course you cant test drive before you pay them in full. The delivery team and service team were great on the other hand.
The lesson here is those "CPO's" are just used cars with extended warranties. Can't wait for the new mercedes EQC, audi already has the etron, jag the i pace. Once Tesla realizes they have competitors maybe they will change but for now they don't care. Apparently the demand for their vehicles is high so they have the "if you don't buy it someone else will" type of mind

maybe you'll get the new nose cone?

I test drove b/f refusing, like most things Tesla its on a case by case basis...

upload_2019-3-5_16-25-21.png

This cracks me up. How much money this company must make, and yet, this digital camera from 2004 is all they have?

Just a quick update
Hope things go well from here on out. I’ve been very happy with mine overall.

Wow, this absolutely scares me, I'm looking at buying a Used MS, but after reading this, not very confident. We are in the Western NY area, closet US dealer is in Cleveland, 3 hours away. However a canadian dealership is hours and half. I wonder if they can service ? I dont think I can take delivery in Canada. If I called the Cleveland dealership, would I get better sales/service ?

Does anyone have any experience buying used at a dealership ? Since they are closing them, I would think there attitudes wont be the best, It to bad, I really would like one of these cars.

Mave do you have any updates on your car ?

Wow, this absolutely scares me, I'm looking at buying a Used MS, but after reading this, not very confident. We are in the Western NY area, closet US dealer is in Cleveland, 3 hours away. However a canadian dealership is hours and half. I wonder if they can service ? I dont think I can take delivery in Canada. If I called the Cleveland dealership, would I get better sales/service ?

Does anyone have any experience buying used at a dealership ? Since they are closing them, I would think there attitudes wont be the best, It to bad, I really would like one of these cars.

Honestly, I have had the same thoughts, however, you hear the stories of those who have had issues, but it seems that in the end, they have been figured out and left with a recognition of delays and issues.
In saying that, if you go into the process with a realization or lowered expectations I think youll be fine. Is it worth it to be a little delayed for the hopes of a 4yr/50k warranty? for me it is yes.
Buying through a 3rd party dealer can be smooth, however, the chance of extending an ESA is low. So in the end, I decided that the bit of extra $$ for delays, and running around is worth it, since that warranty has moved up to one of the top priorities of my tesla (Behind AWD and AP).
I see it that ill pay an extra $3000 to buy through Tesla, unless I can buy private for less than $4000 of Telsa pricing - so I can spend that money on the ESA.

Thanks for the info, would Tesla deliver the car to my house, or would I pick it up at the closest dealership(Cleveland, 3 hours away) ?

I dont mind waiting, and definitely want the warranty !

Regarding warranty, if you get a used car a little under 50 K, does the 50K warranty apply ?

Say a car has 49K miles, you would only get the warranty for the next 1000 miles ? I see a 2014 with 44K miles on website that only has up to 4 year / 50K, so you would only have the warranty for another 6K miles ? I guess its a buyer beware ?

Thanks for the info, would Tesla deliver the car to my house, or would I pick it up at the closest dealership(Cleveland, 3 hours away) ?

I dont mind waiting, and definitely want the warranty !

Regarding warranty, if you get a used car a little under 50 K, does the 50K warranty apply ?

Say a car has 49K miles, you would only get the warranty for the next 1000 miles ? I see a 2014 with 44K miles on website that only has up to 4 year / 50K, so you would only have the warranty for another 6K miles ? I guess its a buyer beware ?

No, the preowned warranty starts at whatever current mileage is and goes until you add 50k miles on it. That is true if the starting mileage was below 50k, otherwise you get a 2 year warranty or until car has 100k miles.

It took them 4 weeks but the car has been fixed and seems to be fine for now. it is a great car don't get me wrong. I don't think you will regret it once you get it however the process is an incredible mess. Again your mileage may vary you might end up with a good sales advisor and service center. I think for me I had no idea this would be such an horrible experience buying a "cpo". So in the end it comes down to if you want an extended warranty or not and are willing to wait and jump through hoops. You can always reject delivery if you don't like the vehicle but remember you are not allowed to test drive it until after you actually buy it and sign all the paperwork. Not sure if you can return it after you do

Honestly, I have had the same thoughts, however, you hear the stories of those who have had issues, but it seems that in the end, they have been figured out and left with a recognition of delays and issues.
In saying that, if you go into the process with a realization or lowered expectations I think youll be fine. Is it worth it to be a little delayed for the hopes of a 4yr/50k warranty? for me it is yes.
Buying through a 3rd party dealer can be smooth, however, the chance of extending an ESA is low. So in the end, I decided that the bit of extra $$ for delays, and running around is worth it, since that warranty has moved up to one of the top priorities of my tesla (Behind AWD and AP).
I see it that ill pay an extra $3000 to buy through Tesla, unless I can buy private for less than $4000 of Telsa pricing - so I can spend that money on the ESA.
I agree
I think what annoyed me with this is that I had actually found the same vehicle, same color, same options but with AP2 (mine has AP1) and 10k less miles for $4000 less from a regular dealer. I actually hesitated for a couple days and I was like let me get it from Tesla I'm sure the experience will be great. Oh boy I was wrong

I agree
I think what annoyed me with this is that I had actually found the same vehicle, same color, same options but with AP2 (mine has AP1) and 10k less miles for $4000 less from a regular dealer. I actually hesitated for a couple days and I was like let me get it from Tesla I'm sure the experience will be great. Oh boy I was wrong

in AZ Tesla CPO is much cheaper, atleast asking price. I haven't tried private party

I agree

Buying a third party dealer car is now an option with a third party warranty available for the Model S: https://www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/

With buying a car from a dealer, you will not be treated like garbage and be actually able to test drive the car, inspect it personally before you pay, and as soon as you pay, drive home a car in pristine condition that has been refurbished without any further drama or delay.

I hope Tesla cleans up the awful way they sell CPO cars and treat people who buy their used cars.

Buying a third party dealer car is now an option with a third party warranty available for the Model S: X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

With buying a car from a dealer, you will not be treated like garbage and be actually able to test drive the car, inspect it personally before you pay, and as soon as you pay, drive home a car in pristine condition that has been refurbished without any further drama or delay.

I hope Tesla cleans up the awful way they sell CPO cars and treat people who buy their used cars.

:( Washington.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 8.54.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 8.54.49 AM.png
    244.7 KB · Views: 90
:( Washington.

Be patient because they are adding new states. I've been in touch with @X-Care EV and they are super responsive.

With the current awful mess of the CPO program and how badly Tesla treats their customers buying these cars by essentially having them buy cars without even offering a test drive, I would absolutely recommend buying the same car from a dealer with the X-care warranty -- especially if you can purchase the car for less.

I can't imagine paying these prices for a used car with mangled wheels, scratched bumpers, and dented body panels that require you take the car to a body shop as if you had an accident the day you bought the car.

To be fair, not all Tesla CPO cars look like they had the life beaten out of them so if you find one in decent shape buy it. Otherwise look around for a car in decent shape as you can now buy a Model S from a dealer with essentially the same coverage as a Tesla CPO, minus how poorly Tesla treats customers buying these cars.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: XCare EV
Be patient because they are adding new states. I've been in touch with @X-Care EV and they are super responsive.

With the current awful mess of the CPO program and how badly Tesla treats their customers buying these cars by essentially having them buy cars without even offering a test drive, I would absolutely recommend buying the same car from a dealer with the X-care warranty -- especially if you can purchase the car for less.

I can't imagine paying these prices for a used car with mangled wheels, scratched bumpers, and dented body panels that require you take the car to a body shop as if you had an accident the day you bought the car.

To be fair, not all Tesla CPO cars look like they had the life beaten out of them so if you find one in decent shape buy it. Otherwise look around for a car in decent shape as you can now buy a Model S from a dealer with essentially the same coverage as a Tesla CPO, minus how poorly Tesla treats customers buying these cars.
I agree with you. When I took the car for them to look at the bumper the tech eyes got wide open and he said "They sold you the car like THAT"?. I was like yep. Wheels have a bit or curb rash too but oh well at least it was disclosed on the drop box pics.

I agree with you. When I took the car for them to look at the bumper the tech eyes got wide open and he said "They sold you the car like THAT"?. I was like yep. Wheels have a bit or curb rash too but oh well at least it was disclosed on the drop box pics.

Ah so you are the reason they sell cars like that :p

If you rejected delivery if they did not fix the bumper, they will no longer sell cars so badly damaged :p:p