Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ridiculous "cpo" buying experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This experience keeps on getting better (read far worse). I just got the title to the vehicle those incompetent or careless or both have the wrong miles on it. They put the miles from my trade in on it instead of the miles of the Tesla I bought. I just called them they tried to tell me the miles are correct lol. The S550 I traded in had more miles than the tesla so even if I try to sell the vehicle it will show a higher mileage on the title than actually on the odometer, a.k.a odometer rollback red flag nightmare. Pathetic. They have no idea how to fix it and said they will call me back. I'm starting to think I might need to contact the consumer affair or the PA or CA attorney general office. Evidently the car was not mechanically inspected as advertised given that even the keyfob battery was low no one cared to replace it and all the other issues. Now this. Really?

Reactions: tubaprde
This experience keeps on getting better (read far worse). I just got the title to the vehicle those incompetent or careless or both have the wrong miles on it. They put the miles from my trade in on it instead of the miles of the Tesla I bought. I just called them they tried to tell me the miles are correct lol. The S550 I traded in had more miles than the tesla so even if I try to sell the vehicle it will show a higher mileage on the title than actually on the odometer, a.k.a odometer rollback red flag nightmare. Pathetic. They have no idea how to fix it and said they will call me back. I'm starting to think I might need to contact the consumer affair or the PA or CA attorney general office. Evidently the car was not mechanically inspected as advertised given that even the keyfob battery was low no one cared to replace it and all the other issues. Now this. Really?

I honestly don't think they inspect anything other then the caring being able to be driven away. :(

If they contract all their CPO vehicles to be sold by car dealers with the CPO warranty, it would be a MASSIVE improvement.

they're paperwork challenged

I'm new to this forum and I really wished I had found this before I ordered my model S. From reading this forum I see that those so called "cpo's" are just used cars with an extended warranty and since they are sold sight unseen it's a matter of luck.
Anyhow I ordered it on 01/04, 10 days ago. I completed the online tesla account and uploaded all the required docs. So far I only got ONE email from who I guess is my so called sales advisor on 01/08, 4 days after my order. It was a generic email scripted asking if I want to finance of pay cash. I had already indicated I was going to pay cash, which shows she did not even look at my info. I responded to her within an hr asking questions about my trade, the vehicle, confirming that I would be paying cash. It's been 6 days now and guess what no answer. I called their 1800 number on 01/10 2 days later the gentleman confirmed she is supposed to be my SA. I then called her cell phone, while it was ringing she sent me a text saying she is on another call she will call me back. I still left a detailed VM. Of course she did not bother to call. I called back on 01/11, the next day the 1800 number talked to another rep who said she would fwd this to my SA and her manager. it's been 3 days and I still have not heard from anyone of them. I also fwded the emails I sent to my SA which were ignored to the "[email protected]" 2 days ago and no answer yet. Since they do not refurbished vehicles anymore I'm wondering why it takes this long and more importantly why they are ignoring me.
It's like I'm begging them to give them my $55k. The irony is I saw another MS with the same color, same options, 10k miles less from a private dealer and it was $3k less. I am so regretting not buying from them as I am sure they would have been a little more enthusiastic to take my cash.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do next? A number or email I can call? Never had such a bad experience buying a vehicle and I have bought quite a bit of them.
I am also new to this Forum and this is my first post. I just placed my order on a used S 90D and already feel like i'm being tossed around. My sales rep said another rep will be working with me, that other rep claims somebody from the Finance department will be working with me even though I'm completely done with the financing and trade-in portion.
It's been 5 days so far and I have no idea when I'm getting my hands on the vehicle. By all indications, Tesla is a great company but the Used cars department have some work to do.

I am also new to this Forum and this is my first post. I just placed my order on a used S 90D and already feel like i'm being tossed around. My sales rep said another rep will be working with me, that other rep claims somebody from the Finance department will be working with me even though I'm completely done with the financing and trade-in portion.
It's been 5 days so far and I have no idea when I'm getting my hands on the vehicle. By all indications, Tesla is a great company but the Used cars department have some work to do.

Let them toss you around all they want. Apparently, they like to ignore their customers a bit before they sell a car as a part of an initiation ritual :p

Just tell them from the outset you are not interested in a beat up or damaged car.

Also tell them if they present you a damaged car, you would reject delivery and they'll need to either fix the damage or find you another undamaged car. Also realize no matter what their horrible policies state, people have been able to get them to fix damage on a due bill after delivery so make sure you have standards and don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. Oh and get whatever they say in writing. No matter how awful they treat you, the car will be worth it so hang in there.

Just make sure they understand you are not an idiot who will accept a trashed or damaged car. Just be careful or they will screw you over like no car dealer would, as they presently sell these cars with hardly any meaningful standards, disclosures, or the ability to inspect the car or test drive the vehicle before purchase.

Other than that just enjoy the Larry-Moe-Curly experience but you will LOVE the car when you get it. :D

Last edited:
Sad to say it but 5 days is a very short time. it looks like initially no one knows where and when you will get the car. Expect something around 2 to 3 weeks at least and you might be lucky to get it sooner. As far as the run around from customer service unfortunately that's how they do business. Like other mentions you can always reject delivery if they try to unload a pile of crap on you. just make sure you don't drive it off the lot though. Those vehicles are really fantastic and fun to drive. once you have the car you will love it. even thought you will still hate the process to get it

Reactions: PhilDavid
My plan is, after reading all the reviews.

A) If I buy locally, or fly to take delivery of the MS, expect 8-14 days. Then not to book any flights until you receive the delivery date and negotiate within that 72 hours, depending on flight availablity and time with work PTO.
B) If I have it shipped, expect 2 (west coast) -4 weeks (east coast) if on time. However, plan for 5 weeks because of delays.

In addition, I plan to talk through all photos with the SA and get wirtten confirmation of damages/concerns, then take this with me pickup and if it doesnt match up, talk to the DA. Then if there are any massive changes, then reject the delivery, or due bill.

After speaking with 5-10 members on here who had the issues, they are very happy with the car, just the process was as everyone said. If they had adjusted their expectations, it would have been fine.

I recognize saying this, it will be a *sugar* show, however, reading over these forums and obtaining as much infromation as possible regarding checklists etc.

Set your expectations accordingly, or very low, and that way it can only be as you assumed, or better!

The moment Tesla has any real competition, they will not be able to continue with this *sugar* show of how awfully they treat customers buying CPO cars. Hopefully they have at least thought of ways to fix the current mess.

Another very real option anyone considering buying a CPO car should consider is buying a private party or dealer car. You will likely get a car in just about impeccable condition and you will be able to test drive it and inspect it personally.

Also now there is a third party extended warranty available for a Tesla bought from a dealer:

X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

It took a month and half for me. If I could do it over I’d just chill out, but the excitement and constant little nuances made it very frustrating. Just know that there will be hangups. Your delivery day will probably change two or three times. The car may have scratches, the bank may want more info, etc etc
For me it’s all in the past. Im ready for another one.

My plan is, after reading all the reviews.

A) If I buy locally, or fly to take delivery of the MS, expect 8-14 days. Then not to book any flights until you receive the delivery date and negotiate within that 72 hours, depending on flight availablity and time with work PTO.
B) If I have it shipped, expect 2 (west coast) -4 weeks (east coast) if on time. However, plan for 5 weeks because of delays.

In addition, I plan to talk through all photos with the SA and get wirtten confirmation of damages/concerns, then take this with me pickup and if it doesnt match up, talk to the DA. Then if there are any massive changes, then reject the delivery, or due bill.

After speaking with 5-10 members on here who had the issues, they are very happy with the car, just the process was as everyone said. If they had adjusted their expectations, it would have been fine.

I recognize saying this, it will be a *sugar* show, however, reading over these forums and obtaining as much infromation as possible regarding checklists etc.

Set your expectations accordingly, or very low, and that way it can only be as you assumed, or better!
So what will you do if you get there and they say the car is not ready? It will be ready tomorrow. Or you get there and they say the car has already been sold? Anything is possible. Just keep a clear head. They will make it right, but the emotional drain is terrible and you can’t get your time back. Have a flexible schedule just in case and enjoy the ride.

So what will you do if you get there and they say the car is not ready? It will be ready tomorrow. Or you get there and they say the car has already been sold? Anything is possible. Just keep a clear head. They will make it right, but the emotional drain is terrible and you can’t get your time back. Have a flexible schedule just in case and enjoy the ride.

Already thought of that and spoke through the process with a SA. Lucky I have a job that is very flexible with time, and I have plenty of "Flex" time accrued.
I wouldnt book a flight (per SA advice) until they do schedule delivery and I have been informed they give you a minimum 72 hour notice, which can be extended up to 4 days. So this would be a period of 3-7 days notice that the car is ready.
If I get there and the car is not to standard, then I will negotiate to have it fixed once I return to my home state, or reject the car. If I reject the car, I just take the loss. I would rather lose a couple of $100 on a flight than many $1000s on a car that I am not satisfied with. It may sound like a waste of time to fly down, but I am doing my due dilligence before hand.

Already thought of that and spoke through the process with a SA. Lucky I have a job that is very flexible with time, and I have plenty of "Flex" time accrued.
I wouldnt book a flight (per SA advice) until they do schedule delivery and I have been informed they give you a minimum 72 hour notice, which can be extended up to 4 days. So this would be a period of 3-7 days notice that the car is ready.
If I get there and the car is not to standard, then I will negotiate to have it fixed once I return to my home state, or reject the car. If I reject the car, I just take the loss. I would rather lose a couple of $100 on a flight than many $1000s on a car that I am not satisfied with. It may sound like a waste of time to fly down, but I am doing my due dilligence before hand.
I ask because they called me the day before and said my car had been sold. They refunded my airfare and gave me a rental car till my new one was ready. Ended up getting a better car, but when I went to pick it up they said it wasn’t there. Then called me an hour later and said they found it. It ended up being beautiful and I’ve loved every minute, but it was definitely an unusual buying experience.

I ask because they called me the day before and said my car had been sold. They refunded my airfare and gave me a rental car till my new one was ready. Ended up getting a better car, but when I went to pick it up they said it wasn’t there. Then called me an hour later and said they found it. It ended up being beautiful and I’ve loved every minute, but it was definitely an unusual buying experience.
Well, they didnt tell me about that part of buying. I appreciate the insight and will keep it in mind.

No, the preowned warranty starts at whatever current mileage is and goes until you add 50k miles on it. That is true if the starting mileage was below 50k, otherwise you get a 2 year warranty or until car has 100k miles.

I placed my CPO order in the early morning hours of 3/21 and the sales advisor called today. I asked about the warranty and he confirmed it is current mileage plus 50,000 miles (for the 4 year/50K mile warranty). My 2015 CPO has 12,004 miles, so I will have warranty for 4 years or 62,004 miles whichever comes first. So looking forward to my first Tesla. I hopeI have a little better luck than the stories I am reading!

Also now there is a third party extended warranty available for a Tesla bought from a dealer:

X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

Anybody know anything about this company? They're not a well-known, although they claim to be backed by. Anyway, to get the 4y/50k warranty that comes with used Teslas, you're paying close to 4.5k.

Re: buying from a dealer, I don't see any good deals coming from dealers right now. The car I'm looking at goes between $41k-44k depending on options, inventory, luck of the draw from Tesla, therefore with a four year warranty. United Imports, a Bay Area used car dealership with a one-price model (never saw a used car dealership like that, but yelp confirms they won't negotiate) that has the biggest and cheapest Tesla inventory in the state is at around $42.5k. (Unsurprisingly, that Tesla has been on their lot for close to 9 months.) So basically, I'm paying the same amount or more, but not getting four years of warranty backed by a $45 billion company.

X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

Anybody know anything about this company? They're not a well-known name, although they claim to be backed by an A- rated carrier. Anyway, to get the 4y/50k warranty that comes with used Teslas, you're paying close to 4.5k.

Re: buying from a dealer, I don't see any good deals coming from dealers right now. The car I'm looking at goes between $41k-44k depending on options, inventory, luck of the draw from Tesla, therefore with a four year warranty. United Imports, a Bay Area used car dealership with a one-price model (never saw a used car dealership like that, but yelp confirms they won't negotiate) that has the biggest and cheapest Tesla inventory in the state is at around $42.5k. (Unsurprisingly, that Tesla has been on their lot for close to 9 months.) So basically, I'm paying the same amount or more, but not getting four years of warranty backed by a $45 billion company.