Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ridiculously simple question about multi-powerwall installs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yonki

Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2015
Pacific Grove, CA
Just had a 12kW/3PW system installed that overall I'm happy about (a lot happier than I was with the Tesla install at my previous house). But I was doing some basic system testing, which included running the house on each Powerwall by itself. House ran fine when only #2 PW was on, and when only #3 PW was on. But if the only Powerwall switched on was #1, there's no power. I also don't hear the relay clicking inside it. App says Powerwalls are at 100% (unfortunately they don't report individually).

It seems like there's a problem (like an "I have a bad Powerwall" problem), but I'm asking in case there's some sort of non-obvious master/slave thing going on with more than one Powerwall that might explain this.

Just had a 12kW/3PW system installed that overall I'm happy about (a lot happier than I was with the Tesla install at my previous house). But I was doing some basic system testing, which included running the house on each Powerwall by itself. House ran fine when only #2 PW was on, and when only #3 PW was on. But if the only Powerwall switched on was #1, there's no power. I also don't hear the relay clicking inside it. App says Powerwalls are at 100% (unfortunately they don't report individually).

It seems like there's a problem (like an "I have a bad Powerwall" problem), but I'm asking in case there's some sort of non-obvious master/slave thing going on with more than one Powerwall that might explain this.

Am I reading this right that you're basically treating each independent Powerwall as a separate device and actually throwing the disconnect open to test how the system behaves?

The way things were explained to me... regardless how many Powerwall 2 white rectangle units on the Gateway, the entire "Powerwall" was the sum of the 3 together. I was told it was not advisable or possible to run the system with some of the array of batteries purposely de-activated. It also meant if a single Powerwall 2 Battery failed, it could take down the whole ESS system.

But of course someone like @Vines can explain this better than me :)

PS... 12 kWp and 3x Powerwalls is what I wish I could get. Color me jealous...

I actually disagree with the thread title that this is a "ridiculously simple" question, because I have no idea if its "in scope" to manually turn off individual powerwalls and then expect "stuff" to run on each one separately.

"The EV storage system" was explained to me as "the batteries are combined", which is why they show that way in the app and are not selectable individually through "normal" tesla means, for monitoring.

So, I dont believe (but dont know for sure) that they are ment to operate that way, and I dont believe that its a simple question on whether it would work this way or not, or why, or why not.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues, but probably better now than in a time of need.

Well, I can tell you that from personal experience having a single defective communication bus port can bring all three powerwalls down. BTDT.

The switch on side side of the Powerwall is more of a controller on/off switch than a physical disconnect power switch, so there are lots of ways that things can go astray. If the controller doesn't read the switch nothing is going to happen. If the controller can't tell the gateway, my experience would suggest that nothing is going to happen.

I have one Powerwall at the moment that won't obey (listen/respond) to the switch. It is on, but flicking the switch doesn't get it to turn off. I think that it is no coincidence that the same Powerwall has a bad communications bus port.

What you describe of having #2 and #3 off, and being unable to start #1, may be a lack of communication with the gateway (bad port(s), or cable, or wiring, or a failure to be adopted by the gateway during the installation, and also a defective controller), but it may also be that #1 never powered up and so it's controller is off. If it doesn't get 12v on the communications bus from the Gateway, it won't start, no matter what you do with the breakers or the switch. The lack of 12V on the bus is normally only a problem for off grid Powerwalls that have been depleted and need to turn on to accept a charge. In a new install, however, there are ways in which the Powerwall might function as you describe due to installation issues or Powerwall issues.

First things first. Have you ever seen #1 powered up? If so, can you power up #1 when #2 and #3 are on?
Have you spoken with Tesla energy support to see if they can see #1? (You might want to get the serial number before calling them, so all of you are on the same page about which Powerwall is behaving differently.) What did they say?
If you have spoken with them, did they ask you to reset the Gateway?
Can you run #2 and #3 without #1? Do you know how the communication bus is wired? I.e. is it
Gateway ->#1 ->#2 ->#3? (Are you sure? E.g Mine are all in a row Gateway, #1, #2, #3, but under the hood so to speak, wired
Gateway ->#1 ->#3 ->#2, which is not what you would guess looking at the conduit(!).)

All the best,

BG

Sorry to hear that you are having issues, but probably better now than in a time of need.
My thinking as well.

First things first. Have you ever seen #1 powered up? If so, can you power up #1 when #2 and #3 are on?
Well #1's green light is on, but who knows what that means. #2 and #3 work happily on their own or together, whether #1 is on or off.

Have you spoken with Tesla energy support to see if they can see #1? (You might want to get the serial number before calling them, so all of you are on the same page about which Powerwall is behaving differently.) What did they say?
I've contacted them but not heard back yet. Hoping to get more knowledgeable about this aspect of Powerwalls before I talk to them in case they try to brush it off as normal.

Do you know how the communication bus is wired? I.e. is it
Gateway ->#1 ->#2 ->#3? (Are you sure? E.g Mine are all in a row Gateway, #1, #2, #3, but under the hood so to speak, wired
Gateway ->#1 ->#3 ->#2, which is not what you would guess looking at the conduit(!).)
No idea. Physically it's Gateway ->#1 ->#2 ->#3, but who knows how it's actually wired.

Am I reading this right that you're basically treating each independent Powerwall as a separate device and actually throwing the disconnect open to test how the system behaves?
Well, I'm not "throwing the disconnect open", I'm turning them off with the switch, which as @BGbreeder mentioned is a signal - not the high-current connection between the batteries and the grid. I'd be very surprised if Tesla hadn't anticipated that the switch could be turned off mid-operation (or a Powerwall could simply fail) and designed an elegant way to do a soft power transfer to the other Powerwalls (or shut down the system if other Powerwalls aren't available).

This is only necessary because Tesla intentionally hides so much from the owners of these products, including basic information like whether each powerwall is operating correctly. If one of my two inverters completely failed, the only way I'd know about it would be turn turn each one off and see if the production changed - otherwise they'd just happily report that I'm generating 4kW when it should be 8kW. I understand Tesla doesn't want owners calling in every time a cloud goes over a panel, but I find this level of abstraction/keeping-owners-in-the-dark frustrating.

PS... 12 kWp and 3x Powerwalls is what I wish I could get. Color me jealous...
It took two tries! First house was 4kW and 1x, and I ended up owing PG&E $1,500 at True-Up. Fortunately new house's roof and exposure allowed a larger system.

If the battery is glowing green, that means it is on, so it would appear to not be getting the function/discharge commands from the gateway.

I would call Tesla Energy (877) 798-3752, and find out what they see on their side. As much of this is programmed electronics, it is possible and easy, for pieces of equipment to get overlooked by the code. BTDT. My system "lost" two current transformers the other day, but Tesla was able to remotely tell the Gateway to get with the program so to speak and function was restored in about fifteen minutes.:rolleyes:

All the best,

BG