Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Right front AP camera fails in heavy rain while on freeways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the vehicle now for about 2.5 years, and this has never happened before.
In the 2.5 years that you owned the vehicle, most of the cameras were dormant. I think they switched from one camera to 3 in v9 and only activated all cameras in v10, but I wouldn't guarantee those exact changes, because I don't remember details and didn't re-research. In any case, I started getting unexpected emergency AP disengagements in V9 after owning my vehicle for 1.5 years, and diagnosis showed only that it was a pillar camera issue. Future updates brought these warnings for the fender cameras, which previously hadn't existed, so now you at least know why AP is unavailable or didn't engage, but I'm still getting disengagements without warnings as well, and diagnosis always shows it was an obstructed pillar camera (for which they apparently still haven't added such warnings). In the long term, hopefully the programming will be updated to deal with these scenarios without flat-out disengaging when safe to continue with restricted functionality (for instance, it seems safe to assume any scenario where it previously worked with only the front camera in use and having decent visibility should still work while the front camera is still working and has decent visibility). Unfortunately, all we can do is wait, the term beta is very accurate in terms of AP functionality, as it is still ever-changing.

I drove in moderate to heavy rain/snow today at freeway speeds for more than 90 minutes with the mud flaps installed. I saw four warning messages about right camera blockage after about 60 minutes of driving. So the mud flaps are not preventing fender camera obscuration. So it goes.

I had a 4 hour drive in heavy rain and wet snow yesterday. No messages of obscured fender cameras ever.
The day before, it was also raining and again no problems. However, at one point, I overtook a large truck which threw a big splash of water onto the right side of my car. Got a message about the right fender camera being obscured (I was not surprised) but this went away after 20 seconds or so and did not come back.

In your case Padelford, i'd say that the mudflaps delayed the buildup of grime on the camera's for quite a while.
Without mudflaps in this kind of weather, my car starts showing these messages within 10 minutes, with the record being 6 minutes after driving into a rain shower.

Previous instances of the right front camera errors always occurred after an hour or so of freeway driving in moderate to heavy rain. Upon stopping & checking the camera, I’ve never found anything on or around the camera except some moisture.

Hi Rainy Drivers,

I have attached 2 minutes of film in rainy conditions.
The cameras as viewed are: Left repeater - Center - Right repeater.
I got the "Blind-spot detection limited" during these recordings.
There was not a fixed obstruction of the camera lenses but a dynamic
buildup and shedding of water...
Moderate rainy conditions at 73 mph on I-80 West in Indiana.

https://youtu.be/OaO4PXaUXe8

Shawn

Last edited:
Reactions: davidu406
Hi Rainy Drivers,

I have attached 2 minutes of film in rainy conditions.
The cameras as viewed are: Left repeater - Center - Right repeater.
I got the "Blind-spot detection limited" during these recordings.
There was not a fixed obstruction of the camera lenses but a dynamic
buildup and shedding of water...
Moderate rainy conditions at 73 mph on I-80 West in Indiana.

https://youtu.be/OaO4PXaUXe8

Shawn
Thanks Shawn! That is great video. Amazing how much better the Tesla can “see” than us. If our windshield looked like this camera shots, it would be crazy hard to keep a straight line.

One thing I have thought of—most of us paid for FSD. Is the plan that FSD cars (including self driving ideas like TeslaTaxi, etc) will just park themselves during rainy season? So they will just drive themselves out of places like Seattle in the winter months and folks will need to find human driving alternatives.

Or, are we really so far away from legit self driving that it’s not really worth worrying about?

What ride height setting do you use? I typically use low to very low on freeways.

My guess is that the design of the forward side camera mounts causes an airflow disruption and a little vortex at the camera which helps trap water there. Ride height may improve or worsen the problem.

I was wondering if adding something the shape of a finger nail sitting on the top pointing towards the rear would be just enough to prevent the water from dripping down and sitting on the lens. The video from ShawnA is exactly what my Model 3 LR is like. I'm really getting tired of the warnings about the cameras and that is when I'm in control - never mind using AP

My right front fender camera has developed a new quirk in January 2020, in that I get a dashboard message that the camera has become obscured or stopped working while I'm driving in moderate to heavy rain on freeways. The problem seems to take a half-hour to an hour to appear. When I stop and look at the camera, it appears to be perfectly fine. I see nothing on the lens and no evidence of moisture inside the lens. The failure seems to go away on its own after the rain stops or after I've stopped somewhere for a while.

I've had the vehicle now for about 2.5 years, and this has never happened before.

Tesla service keeps telling me that having the forward fender cameras fail while driving in rain on a freeway is "normal" because stuff flies up and covers the cameras. I've never observed this happen with the left front fender camera, only the right and only starting recently. I strongly suspect either that water is getting into the camera connector or into the camera body and causing the temporary failure, and I want the camera replaced.

Have others had similar problems?

Ah, the dreaded intermittent issue. My model X is full of these and they won't even take them as reports on a repair order much less fix them. Good luck. Next time I'll buy pretty much anything other than a Tesla... if Tesla is even still in business.

Ah, the dreaded intermittent issue. My model X is full of these and they won't even take them as reports on a repair order much less fix them. Good luck. Next time I'll buy pretty much anything other than a Tesla... if Tesla is even still in business.
Are you sure? You haven't sold it yet. I've been frustrated enough to threaten to sell mine twice and couldn't bring myself to do it either time. Also, FWIW in regards to this particular issue, if the dashboard says the camera is obscured, that means it has video, but not useful video. Since the video feed is digital, this makes it very unlikely that the issue is a software or electrical issue.

Are you sure? You haven't sold it yet. I've been frustrated enough to threaten to sell mine twice and couldn't bring myself to do it either time. Also, FWIW in regards to this particular issue, if the dashboard says the camera is obscured, that means it has video, but not useful video. Since the video feed is digital, this makes it very unlikely that the issue is a software or electrical issue.

I'm not driving it either. I've moved to Puerto Rico and it's far too large a car to have here. I will be spending some time in the states again, but haven't made up my mind about what to do with it. It will be another year or two before pretty much everyone has an EV or three to sell you. There's also the issue of the charging fees and networks. Any EV other than a Tesla is a PITA on trips and Teslas aren't much fun either.

I wanted to get an EV here, but when I heard Electrify America isn't going to continue supporting Chademo, I realized I don't want to buy a Leaf which is one of the few EVs good enough for the island. Their temperature control on the battery sucks too. So if you aren't buying a Tesla, don't get an EV in Puerto Rico and even then it's not so good on trips. The good point is the trips are limited by the length of the island, around 120 miles, but with only two Superchargers for the entire island, you are looking at getting stuck sooner or later. Pretty much everything else is level 2.

I bought a Kia Sportage.

Reactions: mxnym