Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rim edge protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've removed the aero covers from my 18" wheels and am super paranoid about curb rash! I'm conflicted because I am always parking away from everyone, often in the end spot next to a curb... And I want to park as close to the curb as possible to avoid door dings. BUT these rims protrude beyond the rubber (WTF) and are super susceptible to rash. I personally am not looking for LOOK AT ME! fluorescent rim guards, but rather something easy to install, affordable and subtle. Anyone else solved this one?

I regret not installing these in broad daylight rather than in my dark-ish parking garage. I tried to keep a consistent space between the aero cover and the edge of the rimblade. You can tell it's not perfect and is more noticeable on the bottom where the sunlight reflects off the wheel.

At $27 / set I'm tempted to rip them off and redo them while lining up perfectly to the seam of the aero cover.

Attachments

• IMG_20180620_152000.jpg
    IMG_20180620_152000.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 1,840
Great reply, thanks!
I zoomed in on the photo you posted and couldn't find the seam, so I think your installation was great.
I don't like that it seems likely you'll have to replace them with your tires. I am concerned about the adhesive removal each time too. Lastly, are the $27 eBay versions knock offs? If so it seems likely that they would not have as good of adhesives at that price?

The eBay seller looks like a front for the company. Nothing seemed sketchy about my packaging or product. In fact the backing you peel away is 3M.

Adhesive likely comes off with isopropyl.

Yes, it is very possible they could get damaged with new tires, but that is a price I am willing to pay.

My wife curbed the right front wheel her second time driving the car. Seeing as how one of us has to street park every day, these are practically a necessity.

Not to actually draw attention to the car (but it does,) I bought the red rim protection strip from Evannex and I'm very happy. They've been on for several months including a harsh Upstate, NY winter. My Model S is red and has black wheels, so it really compliments the car. I haven't had the occaision to actually use them for protection, but it helps to know they're there should I need them!

Isn't this more expensive than the eBay one? The Ali is showing the price for 1 since it's only 8 meter long. So 6*4 is 24 plus shipping.

I've ordered a black and a blue from these guys, and a black from another vendor. Both are currently 'on sale', for a total price 22.26 USD for 3*8M delivered to Canada. The first bunch are via ePacket shipping, which I've found to be fairly quick delivery in the past. If they don't work out, I'll just have to pass on few coffees.

I've ordered a black and a blue from these guys, and a black from another vendor. Both are currently 'on sale', for a total price 22.26 USD for 3*8M delivered to Canada. The first bunch are via ePacket shipping, which I've found to be fairly quick delivery in the past. If they don't work out, I'll just have to pass on few coffees.

Do you need 3 of them, each being 8 metres?

With 22" diameter rims (the max dia rimblades mentions),
each wheel will need 22*3.142=69.124"
So 4 wheels, in meters=69.124*4*2.54/100
=7.022 metres

It'll be less for 18" or 19" wheels.