Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rim repair and repaint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UnionRim

I don't have personal experience going there yet but I have a set of forge rims and one of them is bent. Did my research and this place seems to deliver good quality at a reasonable price. I was planning to go before switching to a Model 3 and now I'm just lazy to fix my rim (won't be using on M3 anyway). My friend had a his set of 4 rims repainted and curb rashes repair, I think it was $800-$1000 in total several years ago.

Good Morning,

I'm mulling over getting my current rims cleaned up a bit from some curb rash. I'm wondering if anyone in the GTA has someone who they'd recommend. Part of it may be to also get them painted in a different shade. Any ideas as to the rough costs?

TIA

UnionRim

I did quite a bit of research recently about this. I had minor curb rash on my 2 RH wheels and was looking for a color change as well. I really like my 19” Model 3 Sport wheels but don’t like the really plain silver colour. Based on my research I dropped my wheels off at Union Rim on Monday morning. The process Union Rim is using on my wheels is described in the following video done recently at Union Rim by YouTuber Canadian Rider:

Mine are being done in Union Rims ‘Hyper-Black’ finish. This is a true hyper-black process that is multi-stage. Process is as follows:

- Chemical stripping of the wheels to bare metal
- Sandblasting of the wheels to completely clean and etch the surface
- Rim rash repair (welded and refinished material rather than using plastic filler)
- Wheels are hot blocked prior to powder coating

Hyper-black process:

- Entire wheel powder coated in gloss black
- Wheel face only painted with automotive hyper-silver paint (this leaves the rear wheel barrel black)
- Wheel finished with a tinted clear powder coat

They can do literally 100’s of different powder coat colours. Pricing varies based on repairs and complexity. My wheels were true so straightening was not required. They are charging me $160/wheel plus $20 for tire removal, reinstall and balancing using a Road Force balancer. $720 for all 4 wheels. This is their basic price for the more complex 3 coat process and includes the rim rash repair. Regular powder coat colours are $120/wheel. This is their sample ‘Hyper-Black’ wheel identical to the colour being used on mine. I’ll update this with actual pictures of mine on Saturday when I get them back:

F37A600E-D44A-4DC8-AFC8-736275717AAB.jpeg

Last edited:
@03DSG Looking forward to seeing your finished wheels on your car! The picture of the Hyperblack you posted above is sick!

I have a silver Model S and am not sure what color to paint my silver rims. I like a darker gunmetal color as I think that will go better with Silver than a black color - partly because the rim style is less open and if I get it painted black, it will blend in too much with the tire and will just look like too much black is going. I'm curious to see what yours will end up looking like.

Reactions: 03DSG
@03DSG Looking forward to seeing your finished wheels on your car! The picture of the Hyperblack you posted above is sick!

I have a silver Model S and am not sure what color to paint my silver rims. I like a darker gunmetal color as I think that will go better with Silver than a black color - partly because the rim style is less open and if I get it painted black, it will blend in too much with the tire and will just look like too much black is going. I'm curious to see what yours will end up looking like.

Here is Union Rims Instagram link for pictures of their work. You may need to sign up to get full viewing.

@unionrim • Instagram photos and videos

Here is one of their gunmetal:

FD50AFD7-54A8-4F0D-978C-1F8A7C8108E5.jpeg

Hyper-Silver:

12ACB127-BE6E-4795-8024-F839F051BB41.png

Shadow Chrome:

BF74C082-E5A3-4D6E-B485-72C263B1BDC1.png

Last edited:
Good Morning,
I'm mulling over getting my current rims cleaned up a bit from some curb rash. I'm wondering if anyone in the GTA has someone who they'd recommend. Part of it may be to also get them painted in a different shade. Any ideas as to the rough costs?

Got them back today. Freezing here so brought them in. Not cleaned up yet so some dirt and smudges from the tire mounting. Going to clean them up and ceramic coat them. Will update post with them on the car with center caps:

9EE48EE8-B1D1-4C25-AD30-C816035DA027.jpeg

C31E69E8-153D-435E-8896-4850053BD239.jpeg

DEDAFC59-BBDE-482D-A32F-7345473151C5.jpeg

Last edited:
@03DSG - Your rims came out absolutely spectacular!! I love that color! They seem to be darker than the first image you posted that was hyper black. Is it just the image or did you actually go darker on yours?

How close do your OEM center caps match this new finish? Or will you be painting them? What about the lug nuts color?

Looking forward to seeing yours mounted on the car.

Tesla sells a set of dark gray wheel caps and lug nut covers (not lug nuts) that are pretty close to the hyper black color you got. Here is what I'm referring to - Model 3 Aero Wheel Cap Kit

Last edited: