Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ripple Energy: "shared solar" -- views?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That bugged me when they announced it. I had hoped to start seeing some energy bills offset over the winter, however looks like we won’t see any benefit until the new year, when bills start to ease up, again!
Same here. But what can we do about it? About as much as Ripple can: nothing. They (and we) are powerless against the grid and as far as I am aware there is no comeback: no SLA on the grid for deliver, no penalties for failing to deliver ☹️

Reactions: ringi
I was quite hopeful (for Ripple) at first. I wanted specifically to balance my existing solar with some wind, and thanks to some really stupid planning rules, I can't put up my own wind turbine!

Main issues already posted by others. Inflexible regarding suppliers and tariffs, no wind project currently available, too long payback period. Also, being unable to get involved in determining realistic EOL for equipment made me realise it was too hands-off and just like a mediocre financial investment compared with owning and running your own gear.

I can't put up my own wind turbine!

I've considered that for quite some time (a decade or so ...), but everything I have read suggests that domestic sized wind generation is not worthwhile. I have a relatively clear view across arable prairie farmland towards the prevailing wind, with no trees in that direction ... but I do have a few trees on my property, and even siting a turbine in a gap well clear of them the impact of turbulence, as I understand it, is likely to seriously diminish the generation.

If I could put up something (i.e. much taller) to power the whole village that would be different ... but that's unlikely to be in my budget! and I doubt sorting out a reasonable rate for export from a single turbine is going to be a worthwhile exercise either :(

Reactions: browellm and ringi
I doubt sorting out a reasonable rate for export from a single turbine is going to be a worthwhile

Certainly based on permitted development size, it's not very attractive. You evidently figure export benefits in your reckoning while I don't care about export at all. Partly because I'm on deemed export but mainly because it's something I can't control.

My home has a steady draw of 4-500 watts during the day. During December and January I can't generate much solar and I know I'll be short. I'm certain that probably for 3 - 4 months of the year I will buy from the grid at day time rates 300 watts min 24 / 7. So a wind turbine putting out 3-500 watts (which doesn't seem like much) has the potential to make a worthwhile contribution. Yes, an accurate wind survey is essential. Also, you lose PD rights if you have air source heat pump, so more planning hassles too.

Some ground features / obstacles can help. Tree lines can form air compression and faster airflow higher up. Same for buildings and roofs. But of course you only get the benefit in one direction.

I'm sure you aren't!

So for me the focus is on the value of generation I CAN put to good use between Sept and March. What happens the the surplus over summer is academic since I can't make use of it. In fact, storing in batteries over summer is not so useful since days are long, nights short, buildings often heat from direct solar. AC can be a good use for PV energy. Fronius (and may be other inverters) allow their output to be controlled based on export so that although your PV panels only produce what your loads can make use of. The months that have greatest opportunity imo are Feb to April and Sept to Nov since there PV is generated and there are more needs for the energy.

Reactions: WannabeOwner