Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Risk of lawsuit when someone trips over a charge cable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure where to post this but ....

When charging at a supercharging station or similar public site or UMC plugged in to an outlet at a hotel ...

Because these days people need signs to tell them anything, what's the liability angle when your car is charging and some curious fool trips over the charging cord?

Do we need to carry orange cones along for the ride?

I know it's stupid, but someone actually asked me that ....

Not sure where to post this but ....

When charging at a supercharging station or similar public site or UMC plugged in to an outlet at a hotel ...

Because these days people need signs to tell them anything, what's the liability angle when your car is charging and some curious fool trips over the charging cord?

Do we need to carry orange cones along for the ride?

I know it's stupid, but someone actually asked me that ....

It would be the property owner, not you, that would primarily be the one who could possibly be held liable. That said, anyone suing would have to demonstrate the property owner (or car owner) acted negligently in how they kept the power cable while charging. My understanding from these forums is that the superchargers have very short cords, so the car has to be right near it to reach the supercharger. And the UMC isn't too long, about the same as a typical cable at a gas station. So, unless gas stations are regularly sued successfully for people tripping over the cables running from the pump to the cars while people are filling up with gas, I'd say that there's very little to worry about with this.

Yes, anyone can sue anybody, but that doesn't mean they're going to be successful. Given where most outlets/charging stations are located, I'd be shocked if anyone is ever successful in bringing such a claim.

> people tripping over the cables running from the pump to the cars [Arnold Panz]

AP, your world view has been *almost* completely electrified. I like that!

I just received a CS-60 charge station. Haven't opened the box yet but shining thru the handhold openings I see bright orange cables!! This will help me differentiate between the 30 Amp black cables I now use, and maybe avoid the Head of Medusa syndrome.
--

I have to speak up about that McDonald's case. While there are more frivolous lawsuits than we can count in a lifetime, that case was not one.

• McDonald's was repeatedly warned that the temp of the coffee was being kept too hot. They deliberately did this so that coffee could poured and sit on the counter for 5 minutes or more, and still be hot enough to serve.
  • The woman who was burned suffered third degree burns and required skin grafts. The synthetic material literally melted from the temp of the coffee, stuck to her skin, and the skin was gone. I saw the pics. They weren't for the faint of heart.

If this had been a mistake, I might not feel the same way. But McDonald's was written up by the local inspector for the excessive coffee temp. They deserved the outcome. The jury did the right thing.

Thanks for the information, Bonnie. Mea culpa for not doing any research. That case is bandied about as frivolous, but with this information, I agree it's not.

Don't feel bad -- this was actually a very deliberate move by McDonald's and other "tort reform" groups to discredit some otherwise legitimate claims. There was a great documentary I caught on HBO about this called "Hot Coffee" that covered that case, plus a few others, and it was extremely eye opening. For someone like me (a lawyer normally predisposed to see all lawsuits as frivolous) and many others, it was a wake up call. The woman who sued was in a parked car, there had been hundreds (or thousands) of previous complaints about the temperature of the coffee, including major injuries, and no effort by McDee's to change what they were doing.

Here's a link with info about the movie. You may be able to find it On Demand with HBO or Netflix:

HOT COFFEE, a documentary feature film

Thanks for adding this, AP. I'd never seen it before, had only known enough of the specifics to conclude there was nothing frivolous about it. Don't feel bad, rlpm, the 'hot coffee' case is firmly entrenched in the national mindset. It's kind of like trying to convince people that Gore didn't actually claim to have invented the internet.