Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road noise reductions - Hard top Questions !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
djp, does the foam padding eliminate the creaking? If so can you describe what your ranger did to reduce the noise? How think was the foam? I tried a large piece of felt and that did not work for me. I would like to give something else a try. Being more than 400 miles from a service center I have only seen the ranger once. Thank you

As Doug mentioned it's just standard stick-on foam weatherstripping, my ranger added a few pieces between the existing foam. It looked to be about the same thickness as the original foam. He mentioned that the original foam doesn't bounce back well which can cause creaking in the second year. No problems with creaks so far.

Tesla UK say the Lotus S2 short hard top will work with a Tesla. However, the long-tail Lotus hard top will not work because it extends back too far and will prevent the rear clamshell from opening …
Note that if you absent-mindedly leave the clamshell open then you won't be able to remove the Tesla hard top - that's how close the pieces fit.

The sector111 hard top looks real neat. I never liked the way the Tesla one went over the rollbar, but I guess they have less waterproofing issues that way.

The sector111 site does say "(currently, CF weave does not match roll bar)", which is little worrying. Anyway who has seen the CF version of this care to comment? Is the match ok or strikingly bad?

The sector111 hard top looks real neat. I never liked the way the Tesla one went over the rollbar, but I guess they have less waterproofing issues that way.

The sector111 site does say "(currently, CF weave does not match roll bar)", which is little worrying. Anyway who has seen the CF version of this care to comment? Is the match ok or strikingly bad?

I would call it ok. You have to look for it to see it. Different size weave and direction (but close) Of course you may feel differently. I took pictures but that was so long ago.
Was told they could make one to match if asked. Additional fee as I rembember.

By the way, in direct response to the original question, I never hear any noise through the hard top itself. What noise there is comes from the windows and seals. We have a few tunnels here, and it's my estimation that the Tesla Roadster is a LOT quieter with the hard top than with the soft top.

I spent the money on the hard top purely because I missed having a hard top on my last couple of convertibles. But I don't really like convertibles that much anyway, I primarily purchased each of them for reasons completely separate from the convertible feature. Thus, I'm quite satisfied leaving the hard top on at all times (except for very special occasions, when I use the hard top storage bag) since I prefer the (slightly) quieter ride.

I do sometimes hear squeaking, but it seems to come and go. The Tesla folks have tried to fix the squeak more than once, and while their techniques work for a while they are not a permanent fix. It seems that I hear the squeak again not very long after it has been 'fixed' - yet, on the other hand, I can do absolutely nothing at all, not even removing the top and replacing it, and suddenly the squeaking will be gone for long stretches of time and over several driving sessions. That particular sound comes from a couple of rows of rubber seals against the carbon fiber roll bar, so maybe I should just apply a later of gaffer's tape on the carbon fiber (since it's never visible on my roadster) and see if that stops the squeaking for good.

Last edited: