Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip - Charging in France & Spain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Notes on the trip... We have a LR M3. Navigate on AP was a real help. Confidence is growing but I still chicken out on sharp turns at speed :)

There wasn't any contention for SC resources. Never had to wait. In fact, most were empty or had just one other charging car.

At the Girona Ibis they were very Tesla affirming...

The Rouen Novotel SC site was a ghost town. Shut up tight. Here's a picture of the unisex toilet facilities...

More destinations should have signage like this. Here is the notice at the electric charge point, Crown Plaza Hotel Antwerp.
IMG_1621.JPG

Thank you, I appreciate the advice some things i had not thought of.

I’ve arranged my hotel for the overnight stay on my way down, but any advice on places to stay on the way home.

I’ll be travelling from Costa Brava and have planned two overnight stops, the last night will be in Paris just looking for ideas in between.

Despite the ghost town aspect of the Rouen SC site, they seem to have the parking management in hand...

TeslareservedRouen.jpg

In sunny southern precincts there needs to be some consideration given to solar radiation while charging as here in Toulouse...

ToulouseSCtree.jpg

Co-located at the Toulouse SC site was this off-brand charger for those with their own cable... no info on speed or rates. No shade either!

ToulouseOdd.jpg

Thank you, I appreciate the advice some things i had not thought of.

I’ve arranged my hotel for the overnight stay on my way down, but any advice on places to stay on the way home.

I’ll be travelling from Costa Brava and have planned two overnight stops, the last night will be in Paris just looking for ideas in between.

We had two good Destination Charger stops at Les Elmes Banyuls and Villa Dufot Perpignon, France. Accommodation and dining at the Relais St jacques in Chateauroux are a favourite. YMMV - others thought €10 for a cuppa in a Michelin starred eatery was a bit much. There is a rank of SCs right next door.

Sing like no one is listening and park like there's no one watching at Chateauroux in the night time :)

Chateaurouxnight.jpg

We've stopped for rest and dinner at Hotel Najeti Tilques several times where there is a Destination Charger. Closed at the moment, though :-(

The SC at the Girona Ibis is a good place to charge up before heading north.

We are having lunch inland at Mas Torrent where they have a Destination Charger.

Also stopping at the Terra Remota winery on the way home. 17751 Sant Climent Sescebes, Girona, Spain. Destination Charger site.

More tips when we wend our way home in a week or so.

Paris? Brave!

ABRP is a great resource.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend a toll tag though. Delays at the numerous toll booths on the autoroutes soon eat into any schedule you had planned. DM me for a €5 saving on fees and enjoy not having to stop at the tolls!

Great idea... now if I could only get Emovis to accept my registration. Awaiting tech support resolution... all getting Covid in Bournemouth?

BTW where do you position your tag? As noted, the M3 doesn't have a hashed area and the area behind the rear view mirror is full of important Tesla stuff.

• Funny
Reactions: Yev000
Great idea... now if I could only get Emovis to accept my registration. Awaiting tech support resolution... all getting Covid in Bournemouth?

BTW where do you position your tag? As noted, the M3 doesn't have a hashed area and the area behind the rear view mirror is full of important Tesla stuff.
I use these, never had an issue.

Maut & Vignetten für 2020 online kaufen | Tolltickets

Who knows what September may bring? Bon chance! France and Spain are open now. Just read in the Telegraph that the Eurotunnel web site went down under more booking traffic in a day than all of last year.
Yes, took me ages to book as the site was so slow and for the first time ever it was cheaper than the ferry.

Just have to order my vignettes now

Yes, took me ages to book as the site was so slow and for the first time ever it was cheaper than the ferry.

Just have to order my vignettes now

Vignettes? I was under the impression that the headlights auto-adjusted to the country they were in...

Speaking of ferry... I'm planning to go Portsmouth to Santander in a few months. Nervous about the tie-downs...

Speaking of ferry... I'm planning to go Portsmouth to Santander in a few months. Nervous about the tie-downs...[/QUOTE]

Tie-downs? I've done that route several times, and they've never tied my car down. Great ferry, more like a mini cruise.

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking Plymouth - Santander. I believe the Portsmouth one has an open deck and that has tie-downs?

Not sure I have picked the best holiday location for car charging. Going on holiday to Cussac (87150) Dordogne and the closest charger of any type is 27Km. Thats a bit of diversion for charging. Its a 11Kw one on MObiVE. Anyone used chargers in this network/region? Can go to to limoges for Tesla charger but that is a 90Km round trip!

Also if I can use the house electrics when I get there anyone know a good extension lead and converter for a French plug?

Any advice welcome.

Not sure I have picked the best holiday location for car charging. Going on holiday to Cussac (87150) Dordogne and the closest charger of any type is 27Km. Thats a bit of diversion for charging. Its a 11Kw one on MObiVE. Anyone used chargers in this network/region? Can go to to limoges for Tesla charger but that is a 90Km round trip!

Also if I can use the house electrics when I get there anyone know a good extension lead and converter for a French plug?

Any advice welcome.
According to Chargemap there's a 22kw chargepoint in Cussac. Recent positive comments so seems to be working

According to Chargemap there's a 22kw chargepoint in Cussac. Recent positive comments so seems to be working

Thanks! Thats great!!

This seams to be my ignorance with which EV charge point map to use! There seam to be so many EV charge point maps. I have looked at several (plugsurf, Kiwhi, google..) but missed this one.

Does chargemap show all chargers?

Thanks! Thats great!!

This seams to be my ignorance with which EV charge point map to use! There seam to be so many EV charge point maps. I have looked at several (plugsurf, Kiwhi, google..) but missed this one.

Does chargemap show all chargers?
Chargemap is the most comprehensive one for France. It gets updated by French drivers so you also get these ones put in by the local Mairie. Sounds like it's free too.

I can't recommend Tough Leads Electric vehicle leads any more highly. Far better than regular extension leads. The cable is so flexible but robust too. For extra piece of mind, consider getting one with an inline RCD and a separate circuit tester plug - you may already have one of those.