Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SC pricing in EU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yessuz

Dec 30, 2021
Midlands
I was checking my route yesterday (planning road trip holiday in France & Spain.) what I was really surprised was the price for charging they have over there.

In UK predominant SC price is £0.40 off peak, £0.44-ish peak (with very few exceptions)

Ove there, the usual SC price in France: EUR 0.33 off peak, EUR 0.37 peak. ( £0.28 / £0.32) and EUR 0.38 / EUR 0.40 (£0.33 / £0.34) in Spain.

it is quite significantly cheaper in the continent. Is it because VAT? Or we actually can expect some future price reductions in UK as well?

Price of electricity is far cheaper on the continent. I’m currently in Spain and our household electric rates are still far cheaper than in the UK (almost half the going rate in the UK?). As a result, SuCs and other rapids are also proportionally cheaper. I’ve been using two rapids in the town that are still free. Haven’t paid to charge in 3 months!

The issue, as already mentioned, is the UK has tied electricity prices to the cost of gas, so costs have been pseudo-artificially inflated ever since the cost of gas shot up (even though it has recently been dropping, but prices never drop as fast as they go up!). They should decouple the cost of electricity from the cost of gas and have a genuine free market. Though, sadly, all they’re doing at the moment is changing it so renewable suppliers get paid less than gas/fossil fuel based suppliers but still charging the end user the same, inflated amount. Rip off Britain at its best!

Reactions: UkNorthampton