Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip Planning Apps / Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning a trip for next week. I live near Riverside, CA and am traveling to Sacramento CA via Los Angeles.
The total trip is about 450 miles.

I have been playing with the EVTO-Tesla app, but it isn't very user intuitive. This may work, along with Google maps.

Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion on a website or app (I have an iPad Pro) that works well for planning road trips?

EVTO lets me add the super chargers and calculates the energy, it just isn't easy. I may just need to put in the time to learn it.

But... if there is anything better, let me know.

I will be traveling in my Model 3 LR.
-Frank

+1 on A Better Routeplanner as well. I wanted to add that on iOS devices, if you click on Share and add it to your home screen, you'll get a nicely full screen appearance. I haven't found any iOS apps for route planning that I prefer to ABRP. I've tried EVTO, and like the OP, I find it cumbersome.

Also, if you are using it on multiple devices, create a site account and log in on each device, so your settings automatically sync between devices.

Ok, looking at 'A Better Routeplanner'... looks great. Thank you.
I logged in with my Tesla account, and it seems to work very well.
Thank you all !!
Sorry to add one more plug for abetterrouteplanner.com, but it is ridiculously good, and you can even run it within your car during your trip and if you give it your Tesla credentials (I know some people aren't comfortable with that), it will constantly re-evaluate its plan according to your actual consumption. It also uses actual charging data gathered from vehicles to determine more precise charging performance than even Tesla has.

Not only that, but it now supports multiple brands of EVs as well. He's done such a good job he is getting $5/month from me. It really is that good a tool.

Take a look at your possible routes. Take a look at the Superchargers along the way. Put the destination in the car and see how it routes. For slightly different results, try it with battery fuller and again when emptier.

Look at possible stops and look at biology impacts. Where does a bathroom break or a stretch break fit in? When does a meal stop make sense?
From the Tesla router https://www.tesla.com/trips you've can do it with two stops. There are so many options along that route, that it makes more sense to do it your way than to worry about the car's way.

Also, the routers put you at your destination with little energy left. You may want to think about what you are going to do when you get there. Do you want to stop at one of the last Superchargers before arriving and fill up beyond what's needed? Do you want to get there and fill up in town? Or will you have charging options at your destination. The last thing that I know that I want is to arrive. "Let's go to dinner" and then wanting to show the car off, have to decline, because you don't have enough energy to do so.

Make sure that the Aero covers are on. Since you will be on some long, relatively flat roads, watch the energy graph and see the difference in usage between 60, 65, and 70 mph as you are driving for about a 10 minute stretch each.
It is my understanding that some of the LA-SF stations may get busy, especially toward the weekends, so think about options.

The car will always watch your route and consumption, just don't forget to watch what it is saying.

Most of all, have fun on your road trip!