Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip to California for Delivery??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone asked if it's possible to pick up a new order in the US?
I've brought new cars across the border before so that's not a problem.
It looks like the system sets orders up for a delivery by freight instead of pick up from Quebec City.
We'd love to fly out to California, do a road trip home to New Brunswick, supercharging the whole way!

Reactions: Xenius
Unfortunately, California is one of the rare states where visitors have to pay sales tax on cars in the scenario you describe.
Hmmm, now I'm not sure you're right... This site...
California Publishes Guidance for Vehicle Use Tax Exemptions
Claims there is an exemption available if I get a certificate after proving it's being "removed" for use out of state...

"California exempts some vehicle sales to individuals by non-dealers. A vehicle is exempt from use tax when it is (1) ... (8) purchased for out-of-state use and only used in California while being removed from the state, or (9)...

If a purchaser qualifies for a use tax exemption, the purchaser may get a Use Tax Clearance certificate from the Board. This certificate allows the purchaser to register the vehicle in California without paying use tax. The DMV can process vehicle registrations without this certificate but is not required to do so."

More research required.

• Funny
Reactions: X.l.r.8
Well, with the rebate gone - this is a viable option if you fancy the awesome road trip. I was thinking about this for a summer vacation.

Get the car picked up by OCD detailing, have them to wrap the car, fly in and drive back :). Hell lot better than spending $10,000 on a river cruise through Europe imo.

Reactions: NoBeard
I thought there was something about Tesla's not being able to be imported into Canada due to not being listed as eligible for import....I remember reading a thread on here discussing that. I think it was in relation to buying a CPO in the states. But the basic conclusion was that Tesla doesn't configure cars to be 'legal' in Canada when built for the US....I thought nowadays those things were behind us, but I think this may put this idea dead in the water. If the model S and X can't be imported (CPO or used), then I think its highly unlikely you could do the 3....

Disclaimer: I may have no f*ng clue what I'm talking about :)

I thought there was something about Tesla's not being able to be imported into Canada due to not being listed as eligible for import....I remember reading a thread on here discussing that. I think it was in relation to buying a CPO in the states. But the basic conclusion was that Tesla doesn't configure cars to be 'legal' in Canada when built for the US....I thought nowadays those things were behind us, but I think this may put this idea dead in the water. If the model S and X can't be imported (CPO or used), then I think its highly unlikely you could do the 3....

Disclaimer: I may have no f*ng clue what I'm talking about :)

You're correct, you can't import any Tesla (except for the Gen 1 roadster I believe) into Canada from the USA. It is not eligible with RIV. Tesla's official reason for denying them for import is that they do not have the infrastructure here to support imported cars, from what I recall.

Thanks for the info, how crazy is that, eh?
Show proof it's being plated out of the country and get people flying in, spending money on hotels and meals while there. While we're there visit some attractions, spend more money.
Some of our politicians in California tried to pass a bill a few years ago to encourage "Tesla tourism". Other clueless politicians, including one representing my district, shot it down (in spite of my stated objections). I love California, but as a state that now has about 40 million people, it certainly has its share of stupid policies. Hope you'll come visit anyway! We've certainly enjoyed our visits to Canada.

You're correct, you can't import any Tesla (except for the Gen 1 roadster I believe) into Canada from the USA. It is not eligible with RIV. Tesla's official reason for denying them for import is that they do not have the infrastructure here to support imported cars, from what I recall.
With large numbers of Model 3 cars being shipped, I think Tesla will eventually feel compelled to allow its vehicles to be registered across the US/Canada border. We've already read stories of people being forced to sell their Tesla vehicles when moving between countries. This is okay for a niche auto company, but not for a major auto manufacturer.

With large numbers of Model 3 cars being shipped, I think Tesla will eventually feel compelled to allow its vehicles to be registered across the US/Canada border. We've already read stories of people being forced to sell their Tesla vehicles when moving between countries. This is okay for a niche auto company, but not for a major auto manufacturer.
It’s not up to Tesla, it’s all up to one government or the other to change their demands.
The US government has one set of regulations for cars being purchased.
Canada has a different, slightly more stringent set of rules for cars being purchased.

Until those rules are the same, Tesla has no choice but to make slightly different cars for each country.

Being as small as they still are, Tesla literally cannot afford the time and the tech to alter a US car to Canadian standards (although they don’t need to make any changes for a Canadian car to be sold in the US).