Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadside Assistance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electric Car Out of Juice? Pray for an Angel
angel640_397x224.jpg

I have run out of juice with my EV - though not on the road.

Water with road salt had entered my charger. FZZZT - the magic smoke escaped and the charger refused to operate. SOC was 4%, getting the charger fixed would take a few weeks, and NiCds self discharge. When traction battery voltage drops below a certain level, the main contactors no longer work, and you have to disassemble half the car to get the battery out and charge it directly. I had to get some juice into the battery without the benefit of a charger!

Solution: Get my friendly neighbor to tow me while using the regen. SOC was back up to 30% in about 20 minutes. Not a very environmentally friendly way to charge, though :)

Last edited:
The roadside rescue companies are kitted out for ICE vehicles. Maybe the question should be 'What are the roadside companies doing to ensure they support members using non fossil fuelled vehicles'.

After all, I doubt the membership fees will be less for EV owners.

The roadside rescue companies are kitted out for ICE vehicles. Maybe the question should be 'What are the roadside companies doing to ensure they support members using non fossil fuelled vehicles'.

After all, I doubt the membership fees will be less for EV owners.

The AAA annouced their first EV Rescue Vehicle a week or two ago. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/5841-AAA-Plans-Electric-Vehicle-Charger-Trucks

Until your local region has one of these, I suspect that the best you will get is a tow to your next charging point. When EVs are more common, the rescue drivers will get training to help them fix simple problems at the roadside.

I drove from the Sacramento area to Orange County in the last week (about to make the return trip) - my passenger announces that they'll believe electric cars are around to stay "when AAA provides emergency charges". .

It's SO hard not to look smug. So so hard. Just difficult, really. :)

A couple people who drove my Leaf turned to me and said "gosh, this is a real car..." In a surprised way as if they were fully expecting it to be inferior somehow.

All joking aside (though I'm amused totally whenever I hear comments about it being a 'real' car) - THIS is why it's so important that we show people the ease of letting go of the smelly cars. People don't really get it when we tell them. They get it when they experience it. And then no talking is necessary.

I was searching for discussion on what's the best solution on a mobile charger for the Model S and ran across this older thread ( Roadside Assistance)
I'm guessing your question was answered elsewhere (Unlocking can we be done with the smart phone app.)

It isn't recommended by the manufacturer, and it isn't energy efficient, but you can have your car towed by another vehicle, if your foot is off the accelerator the regenerative braking will kick in and you will charge your battery. Once you have built up enough charge to get the the station, you can disconnect and finish the trip under your own power.