Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first Tesla Roadside Assistance experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found keeping all the extra tire-gear around in the trunk is also a pain since there are no dedicated cubbies or slots.

You can look into these ghetto plastic L-organizers with some hook & loop material on the bottom. They work pretty well. The pump, tire plug kit, and gloves stay put even under full acceleration and driving like an idiot (Model 3 Performance).

The weird thing is that the L-organizer is much more velcro-ey to the removable lid to the sub-trunk than it is to the other trunk material (mid-2021 build).

Worth a look if you don't mind losing a bit of footprint in the trunk:

1641407381925.png

Last edited:
Last Friday marked my eight-day anniversary of owning my Model 3. Around 10:00 PM, I decided to hop into my M3 and head to the grocery store. Less than a minute into driving, the tire pressure warning came on saying one of my tire’s pressure was low. Sure enough, I pulled over, and my rear passenger tire was almost flat. After further inspection, I found a nail in the tire. I was able to pull into a gas station, not for gas of course, but to fill the tire with air and was able to make it back home safe and sound.

I got on my Tesla app and scheduled for Roadside Assistance. Within minutes, I received a text message from a live person with options for getting the tire replaced or repaired. Since Tesla Mobile Tire Service was no longer operating that late into the night, they dispatched a local tow company to bring me a loaner tire. The tow company arrived around midnight and removed my flat tire and installed a loaner tire.

My Tesla Mobile Tire Service was scheduled for Tuesday, September 21st. Today, which is Monday, September 20th, I got a call around 9:00 AM from Tesla Mobile Tire Service saying that they are available to come service my tire. However, my M3 was with me at work and my flat tire was in my garage at home 20 miles away. He asked if anyone was home for him to stop by to pick up the flat tire from my garage. I said nobody was home but I can open my garage from my phone. So Tesla Mobile Tire Service drove to my house, picked up my flat tire, and drove all the way to my work. He was able to repair the tire and install the tire onto my car in my work parking lot.

While I felt deflated for having a flat tire and going through this whole ordeal only eight days into owning my M3, I am very impressed by my first Tesla Roadside Assistance experience. I was able to get a loaner tire in the middle of the night in about 90 minutes. I was provided with service one day prior to my scheduled appointment. And Tesla Mobile Tire Service went out of their way to pick up my flat tire from my home and take it all the way to my work for repair and installation. Hopefully, I won’t need Tesla Roadside Assistance for anything else soon but it is assuring to know that they provide quick, reliable, and personalized service.

What has been your experience with Tesla Roadside Assistance or any Tesla service? Is the service I received from Tesla normal or am I just a lucky one?

Thanks for reading and sharing.
I think you were lucky. I now have my 3rd flat in less than 8,000 miles on my Model Y. I've owned and driven all kinds of cars, SUVs and van for over 40 years and only had 2 flats on all of those other vehicles. I live in suburbia and drive and park on clean streets, parking lots and driveways. No construction sites.

More importantly, I tried roadside assistance two of the three times. The first time they said they didn't have anyone that could help so I had to call all around to find someone that could fix my flat. The second time they did, but they couldn't get to me until about 24 hours later and I'd have to buy a new tire if the tech examined the tire and said they couldn't patch the tire. If they could patch it, it would be $81. The first two patches were only $35 at tire stores. I have so little trust in Tesla that I assume they'd rather have me buy a new tire for nearly $400 (they told me it would be $355+ tax) so I'll be looking to limp to a tire store and get a repair I trust.

I live in California (SF Bay Area) where you'd expect the service to be good. Given the incredibly poor service I've received from Tesla (including pathetic after sales service when I had various questions), I'll be looking for a different EV when my lease is up.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
My first time using roadside was quite recent. I needed a tow to the nearest service centre. Roadside checked if I qualified, made me restart my car as a possible solution and then called for a tow. Phone call took abiut 20min and said the tow would come in an hour. About two hours later a flatbed came and took ilthe car. No loaner car available

Last Friday marked my eight-day anniversary of owning my Model 3. Around 10:00 PM, I decided to hop into my M3 and head to the grocery store. Less than a minute into driving, the tire pressure warning came on saying one of my tire’s pressure was low. Sure enough, I pulled over, and my rear passenger tire was almost flat. After further inspection, I found a nail in the tire. I was able to pull into a gas station, not for gas of course, but to fill the tire with air and was able to make it back home safe and sound.

I got on my Tesla app and scheduled for Roadside Assistance. Within minutes, I received a text message from a live person with options for getting the tire replaced or repaired. Since Tesla Mobile Tire Service was no longer operating that late into the night, they dispatched a local tow company to bring me a loaner tire. The tow company arrived around midnight and removed my flat tire and installed a loaner tire.

My Tesla Mobile Tire Service was scheduled for Tuesday, September 21st. Today, which is Monday, September 20th, I got a call around 9:00 AM from Tesla Mobile Tire Service saying that they are available to come service my tire. However, my M3 was with me at work and my flat tire was in my garage at home 20 miles away. He asked if anyone was home for him to stop by to pick up the flat tire from my garage. I said nobody was home but I can open my garage from my phone. So Tesla Mobile Tire Service drove to my house, picked up my flat tire, and drove all the way to my work. He was able to repair the tire and install the tire onto my car in my work parking lot.

While I felt deflated for having a flat tire and going through this whole ordeal only eight days into owning my M3, I am very impressed by my first Tesla Roadside Assistance experience. I was able to get a loaner tire in the middle of the night in about 90 minutes. I was provided with service one day prior to my scheduled appointment. And Tesla Mobile Tire Service went out of their way to pick up my flat tire from my home and take it all the way to my work for repair and installation. Hopefully, I won’t need Tesla Roadside Assistance for anything else soon but it is assuring to know that they provide quick, reliable, and personalized service.

What has been your experience with Tesla Roadside Assistance or any Tesla service? Is the service I received from Tesla normal or am I just a lucky one?

Did you have to pay for this service?

I think you were lucky. I now have my 3rd flat in less than 8,000 miles on my Model Y. I've owned and driven all kinds of cars, SUVs and van for over 40 years and only had 2 flats on all of those other vehicles. I live in suburbia and drive and park on clean streets, parking lots and driveways. No construction sites.

More importantly, I tried roadside assistance two of the three times. The first time they said they didn't have anyone that could help so I had to call all around to find someone that could fix my flat. The second time they did, but they couldn't get to me until about 24 hours later and I'd have to buy a new tire if the tech examined the tire and said they couldn't patch the tire. If they could patch it, it would be $81. The first two patches were only $35 at tire stores. I have so little trust in Tesla that I assume they'd rather have me buy a new tire for nearly $400 (they told me it would be $355+ tax) so I'll be looking to limp to a tire store and get a repair I trust.

I live in California (SF Bay Area) where you'd expect the service to be good. Given the incredibly poor service I've received from Tesla (including pathetic after sales service when I had various questions), I'll be looking for a different EV when my lease is up.
Luckily, I haven't had a flat with my M3 yet, but I have only 11,550 miles on it. Having said that, over the years I've found that AAA has much better road side service. I had three flats over the years. One was in Los Angeles. The other two were in rural western MA. In all three cases AAA arrived within 30 minutes of my call. Each time, they came with a flat bed tow truck. Luckily they could just plug the flats, but I asked one of the AAA guys what would happen if the tire was beyond repair. He said they would just call the nearest tire stores until they found one with the right tire in stock and then bring the car to them. I pay just over $200 a year for this service but it also covers my wife's and my daughter's cars and we get at least 100 miles of free towing. It might even be more than that but I'd have to check.

They left me stranded in my car for 6 hours 5:30pm - 11:30 waiting for a flat bed tow truck which felt like it was never coming. I had to keep calling back and every time it took an hour to get through. My car was not in the safest location so they told me not to leave it. Worst service of my life!! If your stuck somewhere without cellular reception then what because there is no spare…

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
They left me stranded in my car for 6 hours 5:30pm - 11:30 waiting for a flat bed tow truck which felt like it was never coming. I had to keep calling back and every time it took an hour to get through. My car was not in the safest location so they told me not to leave it. Worst service of my life!! If your stuck somewhere without cellular reception then what because there is no spare…
It's unfortunate you had to wait 6 hours for a flat bed. That's unfortunately sometimes how things pan out when car manufacturers contract with 3rd party tow companies. (which anyone that provides "roadside" does) What was the issue with your car? Flat tire or something more serious?

If you are uncomfortable driving a car without a spare, it's probably a good idea to plan ahead and get a spare. Lots of cars these days don't come with them.

Last edited: