Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster for tall drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
Hi. I'm a Model S reservation holder who is thinking about taking advantage of that new lease program for the Roadster where you are allowed to turn the Roadster in when the Model S arrives (now in 2012 sometime). I've test driven the Roadster (twice now actually) but both were short test drives. I'm 6'3" tall and noticed that the top of the speedometer was blocked by the non-adjustable steering wheel and the top of the windshield was close to eye level. I drove the car both times with the top off so haven't seen what it's like to get into and out of the car with the top on. Can some of the taller owners describe what it's like as a daily driver? I had a blast driving it but it's different I'm sure using it every day.
Also, can people really fit a full sized cart golf bag (not the pro kind but just regular sized) in the trunk? Thanks.

David

Last edited:
You should specifically request the hardtop and/or softtop be installed for another test drive ... there's no substitute for you experiencing it "in the flesh" before making a decision (no matter how good or hard anyone tries to describe it to you). Just my five cents ...

I'm not tall - 5'8 ... the issue of tall/big friends getting in and out with top on is not comforatable to watch.
Watching wife in a dress :biggrin: Its a reason to get the top off whenever possible.
Once everone in, all is ok but cozy.

Driving speed is best viewed at the JVC and lower center screens. Both give digital readouts of MPH. Speedometer in front, hidden by wheel, can be a drag. However, if you daily drive you trend to view JVC and lower center instead.

I bought a small carry bag (11 clubs and great for walking). I can tightly fit my small bag plus another standard walking bag in the trunk for two to golf. Have not tried two normal walking bags. I'd even think one pro bag might fit but it would be tight.

The car is small and doesn't carry much. The radio reception sucks. Iphone-bluetooth integration with music+sticher allieviates poor radio. If you drive over 125 miles on a frequent daily basis that's also a concern. Explaining the car in parking lots can waist 5 minutes. I always say "its like the first cell phone".

Those negatives aside...
I would not wan't to drive another car! Its a completely exilerating fun, fast, bumpy, automatic excellerate/brake thrill and different mindset to drive.

If you like experiences then do it. If you want a comforatable sedan then definately wait.

My 3 cents

Last edited:
Thanks. I know it's a tight fit but it's good to hear that people enjoy it so much on a daily basis. Sitting in it with the hard top is a good idea before making a decision. Thanks. Knowing I don't have to put the golf clubs in the front seat is nice too.:smile:

There's a Roadster owner who must be 6'5" or more.

He made his own driver's side roof strut that pushes the roof up a bit. Even he does not touch the roof with his head but he just likes having the clearance.

I have a picture of his mod somewhere.

I'm 6'3" and have been driving the Roadster since October 2008.

I really don't have any problems. I did remove the two useless visors from the front windshield. Parking up close to small intersections makes it difficult sometimes to see the traffic signals above my head, but other than that rare occurrence, things have been totally fine.

It's also true that you can't see the top of the speedometer without cranking your head sideways, but I've been using the radio and now the new VDS display for that without any trouble.

(I love my car.)