Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Ranger Service - Good News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
professor-farnsworth1.png

Okay, here's a curious fact: it's $100 every time a Ranger comes to your house, even if it is a return visit for the same issue.

So my Ranger arrives with the incorrect parts and can't do the job. You get to pay another $100 for him to come back with the correct parts.

I don't see them charging a customer another $100 for wrong parts.

It all depends though, if like ICE, a mechanic can tinker and replace every part on your car in effort to fix an issue. However, they get the best deal since their hourly rate increases as well as replaced parts. I had a GTI back in the day, would stall on every shift, took it to a German mechanic who raced them, he tinkered, advanced the timing, and said I go most of it out and your bill is $450. I got frustrated... never was satisfied with any results from outside mechanics, took the car home and raced it up and down my 1/4 mile driveway to build data. Within 15 minutes of building and analyzing the data I discovered it was the rubber boot that had dryrot cracks between the mass air flow sensor and the airbox. Was getting more air on shifts which the engine rotated and opened the cracks even more. The part was $20 for the boot and say 30 mins for my time, total cost of this repair by the mechanic should have only been $70 at most. I went back to inform the mechanic, hopefully so he can be more efficient and better with his diagnosis, he go's ohhh so that's what it was. I paused and was in my mind ready to get some sort of refund... NOTHING. If I was a mechanic I would have a guilty conscience for taking some kids money in that fashion.

So my point being, if it was Tesla's mistake of bringing a fuse when they should have brought a PEM, well they may charge you for that. However if they brought the wrong 1.5 PEM for your 2.5 Roadster, had to run back to pick up the 2.5 PEM, I suspect they wouldn't charge you.

I'd argue that one with them Doug, they're the experts and should have full knowledge on your Roadster's unique build. If they mixed up the mounting hardware upon the build, Euro/Can mix match as you indicated, that's Tesla's mistake/deviated design from the beginning. No way should you bear that cost. If they charged you I'd call Tesla directly and be straightforward.

Yes, I sent them an email a couple of hours ago. No doubt they are discussing it internally.

Like I said, I have no objection to the general principle - in fact I think this new policy is a really great move on their part. But I thought it would be a good idea for them to review and see if their policies might need a little tweak.

Okay, here's a curious fact: it's $100 every time a Ranger comes to your house, even if it is a return visit for the same issue.

So my Ranger arrives with the incorrect parts and can't do the job. You get to pay another $100 for him to come back with the correct parts.

Just to close this out - Tesla agreed with me on this and is charging me $200 for two visits instead of $300 for three visits. As usual they did the right thing!