Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Service E-Mail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone received any substantive assistance through this new support channel?

I'm curious because my response to the email, asking about support for the two current problems with my Roadster, has gone unanswered.

I know they respond when you ask about selling the car to them. Is that all the email address is good for?

First attempt, to request a service appointment: no answer at all.
Second attempt, to ask for a contact person to take delivery of tires: answer along the lines of "we'll contact the service center and come back to you", then nothing.

Overall, pretty useless so far. Physically going to my service center (fortunately located 10 minutes away from my workplace) is the only reliable solution for my service needs so far.

I haven't tried asking about service via the email yet as I haven't even received it. And I've also been trying to get 2 of the Roadsters added to my profile since May of this year. Even had a guy at my service centre try and get them added and still nothing. I did get a response once saying to send them all the paperwork and they'd process it in 3-5 business days. I responded very quickly to theat email and well......l that was a couple months ago, no response and no action taken. Sad to see that the email's message is not seemingly being followed through on. Hopefully things will change but for now I primarily get my Roadsters serviced by Carl in Seattle.
I got service scheduled through the email (I didn't actually get the email myself).

The "dedicated Roadster SA" didn't know anything about Roadsters.

I asked about potential upgrade parts (dual blower PEM fan) and she said if it wasn't on the website, it wasn't available. I pointed out that I got a Roadster car cover through Berkeley and she suggested I contact them instead of her. And she said Battery 3.0 was available because it has a webpage (which says it's not available)

The car is still not in my account. I also sent the information they asked for and they said 10-14 business days. That was long ago.

I asked and they said they were having system issues . . . a freaking tech company can't do a Database update . . .

Last edited:
I guess it's very hit or miss between SCs, the Mt. Kisco SC in NY were amazing with my #209, responded to my emails and even gave me a Model S loaner. As an added bonus, when I picked up my car after the service was done, the sales floor employee happened to see it parked and said she'd never seen a Roadster before. I had her sit in the driver's seat and she just had a blast, really love when people go crazy over the car!

I have not received "the email", but then again, my roadster is STILL not on my account after months from my initial contact via email before the "roadster channel" was created, but also 2 weeks from getting a response from Tesla about getting the ownership transfer completed...no additional contact and account still does not reflect my roadster.

Time sequence:
11/25 - received Jerome's email (dedicated channel, RSNA email box)
11/30 - sent a service request email to RSNA
12/2 - received email from RSNA acknowledging request, saying local SC would reach out
12/3-12/7 - crickets
12/7 - sent reminder email to RSNA, noting SC has not been in touch

Have not spoken to a human yet. I'm guessing (?) it was an inconvenient time of quarter and time of year to roll out the new channel, as the ability of the SC's to follow up is highly dependent on local service & delivery load at end-of-quarter and end-of-year. YMMV.

The question I put to them via the RSNA email address wasn't SC-specific, it was about whether they had plans to make batteries and/or battery parts available in the foreseeable future.

They either have plans to do this or they do not, and it's nothing to do with the SC's. They should be able to answer this simple question. They could even say "we are considering it but haven't decided" or "we plan to but can't provide dates because we are still allocating engineering/technical resources..."

Something. Anything. But I've heard nothing in response. It's really frustrating because it leaves me without information that's vital to informing my decision on how to address my failed ESS.

There's just no reason the company should be so opaque. No other car company I've dealt with is like that. Even when restoring a 1960s Lincoln, Ford happily provided me with all manner of technical documentation and resources, despite it representing zero expectation of direct revenue for them.

When they were first starting this cutback so that you could only schedule appointments on line, my wife's 2013 Model S did not have the option to schedule. I made an appointment using my Model X, which did have that scheduling option and noted that I was bringing the Model S. Despite the note, they still thought I was bringing the X, but it was no big deal for them. They have since fixed that issue with the S.

Anyways, my thought would be I would do the exact same thing with the Roadster. Just use my app for the S or X to make an appointment that I will use for the Roadster instead.

The only way an email approach works for me is if they respond within an hour, certainly no more than by the end of the day. The problem with this email approach is that it takes too many steps.

Reactions: X.l.r.8 and drewski
Anyways, my thought would be I would do the exact same thing with the Roadster. Just use my app for the S or X to make an appointment that I will use for the Roadster instead.
That won't work for a Roadster. The S/X/3 techs aren't trained to service a Roadster.

Many people keep overlooking the fact that Tesla is contractually obligated to produce new battery packs for the Roadster. They might be able to postpone this obligation another month or two but they have to do it for us. It would be nice if they could provide a better timeline and other information.

That won't work for a Roadster. The S/X/3 techs aren't trained to service a Roadster.

Many people keep overlooking the fact that Tesla is contractually obligated to produce new battery packs for the Roadster. They might be able to postpone this obligation another month or two but they have to do it for us. It would be nice if they could provide a better timeline and other information.

Precisely this - until even 2024 for some of the final Roadsters produced.

Tomorrow a ranger is coming to my house (LA area) to replace the bracket that holds the 12v battery in place. A few weeks ago they did an annual service and replaced some brake parts. Both of those started with a response to the email. Now I just text the leader of the Roadster team in Torrance (Rosa).

My has also had email exchanges with Tesla after she responded to the email she was sent, about her Roadster.

We haven't gotten much of an answer about battery availability, but Rosa has said they are sticking parts to support us. I'm not confident that that means they will have parts like lights or body panels or batteries or PEMs, but I view this as a dynamic situation, with no clear future state.

We will see. But to be clear, I prefer the current situation to where we were pre-email.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Today I had the ranger from Tesla Torrance (Mervyn) visit me, to replace the broken bracket holding my 12v battery. After he finished the repair we had a good chat. I will share what he told me, summarized by me.

1. The company has come to appreciate that leaving us out in the cold is not a great message and not a good way to treat those who helped the company in its infancy.

2. We were not a priority for a long time as the company was focused on other things, but there is a strong message from above that we are to be treated well going forward. For example, while the technician with whom I spoke said he works on all Teslas, as soon as a request comes in related to a Roadster he is to turn to it.

3. There are few people who know about Roadsters, but the company is doing it's best to knowledge share.

4. They are trying to stock parts for everything we will need. For example, he told me they have every body part other than the front bumper for my 2.25. They have headlights. They have in stock a refurbed PEM for 1.5, 2.0. and 2.5. The goal is to have in stock or readily available everything. For a while the company didn't know what they had, so they just said they didn't have parts. But now that they have looked around they realize they have more than they had thought. And they are trying to get everything they will need for us, including getting replacement parts manufactured.

5. They are trying to get a supply of 3.0 packs. Those are expected to go out in the summer of 2020, first to those on the list right now.

6. There are a few people out there who still have a battery replacement policy (the one you could buy long ago). If one of those were to demand a battery now they might try to refurb an existing pack. Or maybe do a 3.0 but pay for the upgrade. That isn't clear at this time. The refurb current pack option isn't something they're actively doing now. They have done it as a stop-gap while the 3.0 issues have been getting worked out.

7. They have offered to buy cars primarily in those situations in which Tesla couldn't get the car the parts it needed. It didn't seem that they are trying to get an inventory of old cars for parts. The Letter was not part of a plan to buy our cars and kill off the Roadster. It was more of a recognition that we aren't the right people to alienate and disenfranchise.

8. Tesla is going to continue to have Roadster service done out of Torrance and Pomona. They are also looking at possibly having Roadster service done out of Costa Mesa.

9. The CAC can be a misleading metric as it is something that has many variables that are input into it. Similarly, Ideal Miles is a potentially misleading metric as if you don't drive the car the battery may read as giving you lots of range, but in reality it won't be accurate because the battery will have deteriorated from lack of use. At the annual service they recalibrate the Ideal Miles but many cars don't get driven it come in for annual service so their readings can be off and need calibration.

I merely relay what I was told. But I appreciated the information and insight.

Today I had the ranger from Tesla Torrance (Mervyn) visit me, to replace the broken bracket holding my 12v battery. After he finished the repair we had a good chat. I will share what he told me, summarized by me.

1. The company has come to appreciate that leaving us out in the cold is not a great message and not a good way to treat those who helped the company in its infancy.

2. We were not a priority for a long time as the company was focused on other things, but there is a strong message from above that we are to be treated well going forward. For example, while the technician with whom I spoke said he works on all Teslas, as soon as a request comes in related to a Roadster he is to turn to it.

3. There are few people who know about Roadsters, but the company is doing it's best to knowledge share.

4. They are trying to stock parts for everything we will need. For example, he told me they have every body part other than the front bumper for my 2.25. They have headlights. They have in stock a refurbed PEM for 1.5, 2.0. and 2.5. The goal is to have in stock or readily available everything. For a while the company didn't know what they had, so they just said they didn't have parts. But now that they have looked around they realize they have more than they had thought. And they are trying to get everything they will need for us, including getting replacement parts manufactured.

5. They are trying to get a supply of 3.0 packs. Those are expected to go out in the summer of 2020, first to those on the list right now.

6. There are a few people out there who still have a battery replacement policy (the one you could buy long ago). If one of those were to demand a battery now they might try to refurb an existing pack. Or maybe do a 3.0 but pay for the upgrade. That isn't clear at this time. The refurb current pack option isn't something they're actively doing now. They have done it as a stop-gap while the 3.0 issues have been getting worked out.

7. They have offered to buy cars primarily in those situations in which Tesla couldn't get the car the parts it needed. It didn't seem that they are trying to get an inventory of old cars for parts. The Letter was not part of a plan to buy our cars and kill off the Roadster. It was more of a recognition that we aren't the right people to alienate and disenfranchise.

8. Tesla is going to continue to have Roadster service done out of Torrance and Pomona. They are also looking at possibly having Roadster service done out of Costa Mesa.

9. The CAC can be a misleading metric as it is something that has many variables that are input into it. Similarly, Ideal Miles is a potentially misleading metric as if you don't drive the car the battery may read as giving you lots of range, but in reality it won't be accurate because the battery will have deteriorated from lack of use. At the annual service they recalibrate the Ideal Miles but many cars don't get driven it come in for annual service so their readings can be off and need calibration.

I sincerely hope all of this is true. The problem with the battery is that if it fails brick by brick or sheet by sheet, repairing/replacing them more than a couple of times puts you in the cost neighborhood of just buying a whole new/rebuilt pack from Tesla (with increased capacity), so it's hard to justify, even if you can source parts, which is definitely not a given.

Reactions: drewski
With me having 4 Raodsters (not necessarily by design to have 4 - 2 were intended to be sold to Canadian Roadster/Tesla enthusiasts in Canada as I felt there weren't enough in Canada) you can likely tell I'm usually having at least one serviced or waiting for parts. I actually rarely have more than one driveable at any one time. I've found my service centre in Vancouver, BC has been fantastic at doing their best to help be out. No complaints with them at all. They've gone far above and beyond to help me out. But some policies that Tesla have keep me scratching my head. Recently the 'pre-charge' has failed. Result: full pack replacement. This seems extreme since the cells themselves are all in great shape. Less than 10,000 miles on her and thus very few (relatively speaking) charge cycles. I know the SC can't open packs so I would expect shipping costs to CA, diagnosis and replacement of the damaged parts and shipping back. BUT that has to be WAAAYYY more efficient over all than the simple 29k US or 40k Can $ for a complete pack. To me it's almost like saying well you've got a flat tire it's a complete car replacement. Granted I don't know how integrated to the rest of the pack the 'pre-charge' is so maybe I'm way off base. But I might have a really nice spare parts now :( In Carl I trust!!!!!!!

I had an appointment for my Model3 today, and had requested through RSNA to have the mobile tech take a look at the tire pressure fault on my Roadster. Of course, when he arrived he was clueless that I had requested Roadster service and wasn’t aware there was such a thing. The roadster was added to my account several weeks ago, so I asked him to see if he could pull up any information on it. Sure enough, after a few minutes I was able to log in and see some of the documents, (see attachment) as well as send a message for support, which I did since the tech had already left. We’ll see if I get an answer, but overall I think Tesla is headed the right direction :)

3D0060E3-99D7-4179-A224-B011495ECFEB.png

• Informative
Reactions: AtAge19 and drewski
I sincerely hope all of this is true. The problem with the battery is that if it fails brick by brick or sheet by sheet, repairing/replacing them more than a couple of times puts you in the cost neighborhood of just buying a whole new/rebuilt pack from Tesla (with increased capacity), so it's hard to justify, even if you can source parts, which is definitely not a given.

as stated, i hope this is all true. i was not impressed with Dublin, CA TSC, which is one of the Roadster specific SC for this program and closest to Oakland, where i live.

i also, i hope Mervyn doesn't get into trouble for this! :(

also, i hope Mervyn doesn't get into trouble for this! :(

I don't see why he would. He was honest in recognizing that things haven't been perfect in the past, but the company has had a change in approach that makes us and our cars a higher priority than we were in the past. That's entirely consistent with the email and my interactions with others at the SC in Torrance, including Rosa, who leads Roadster service, and Mark, who leads the service center and has owned a Roadster.

If he were to have failed to acknowledge that we have legitimate gripes, he would have no credibility. The fact is that the company is a start up. They have had many challenges along that path, as can be expected. And transforming the company to launch and sell and support the models since the Roadster has meant that the company hasn't been focused on maximizing our ownership experience. If they had been focused on us and the 2008-2011 Roadsters instead of the other cars, the company likely wouldn't exist today.

Of course, receiving an email and having a handful of encouraging communications and experiences with a few people at one service center doesn't mean that it's all rainbows and unicorns for every one of us until forever. But it's a step in the right direction.

Oh, and Mervyn told me about how he did the Roadster headlight restoration on his car, as my wife's car and mine both need it. He said many shops do it but he didn't have a recommendation. Its obviously much cheaper than buying new headlight assemblies, depending on how much you value your time.