Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster to nema 14-50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an existing nema 14-50 at my house.
I have the black 110v mobile charger.
I also have the can jr and sr.

What's the best way to connect the roadster to nema 14-50. It would also be nice to be able to hook up at RV parks on travel.

It seems like this was something I should have been able to find by searching the forums but I just wasn't able to , so I appreciate your help.

"Only up to 32A" is technically correct, but in practice, not a problem.

I also have a 14-50 outlet in the garage, and have an OpenEVSE connected to it with a short pigtail, and a Tesla J1772 to Roadster adapter cable for the car (equivalent to the CAN-JR, which I also own). It's good for the full 40 amps, but I have the car dialed down to 24 amps, and find that's plenty to recharge the car overnight, even after a lengthy drive. No need to go higher, and the lower current is easier on all components involved.

It's nice to have the higher charging current available, but I find it's seldom needed in practice.

Reactions: Gabner and dhrivnak
What is your 14-50 on, if it only has a 40A breaker or 8 awg cable then the newer UMC is probably a better way to go. there are plenty used around the $250 mark. Failing that you could get a HPWC and simply dial it back to 40A so if you decided to upgrade the cabling you could use it to its full potential. the HPWC is about the same price as the UMC so if you are not planning on taking the charger with you I would go that route. The Can Sr is designed to be used multiple times daily where as a 14-50 really is not. That being said with the amount of destination chargers around my UMC never comes out of its bag. it sits in the trunk knowing the day I decide I take it out I'll be stranded somewhere next to a 14-50 socket kicking myself.

Reactions: Gabner
The new Tesla UMCs only go up to 32A. The trade-off is they're lighter/smaller and take up less space in your trunk.

The original Roadster UMC and the first generation "Tesla" UMCs went up to 40A.
The one linked by @hcsharp above does deliver 40A. However, it has a fixed 14-50 plug instead of one of the adapter systems from the Gen1 Mobile Connector or Gen2 Mobile Connector.

Don’t discount an Open EVSE or any of the j1772 options flooding the market from that the can jr would work well with. Some of them are also very compact for traveling.
^ seconded
I also have the Can Jr/Sr but my home charger is a J1772 unit that currently has a 14-50 inlet on it, which lets me both share it with non-tesla EV friends at home and use far-flung RV parks on the go.

I have an existing nema 14-50 at my house.
I have the black 110v mobile charger.
I also have the can jr and sr.

What's the best way to connect the roadster to nema 14-50. It would also be nice to be able to hook up at RV parks on travel.

It seems like this was something I should have been able to find by searching the forums but I just wasn't able to , so I appreciate your help.

I’ve posted in this. Roadster owners will say the can but save yourself the money. I majored in electrical.

Quick Charge Power | Featured Products

I’m confused, how is that cheaper?
Honest question. I see a Tesla Plug, connected to a quick charge power adaptor $338, that converts Tesla to J1772, connected to a CAN Jr $695
Total $1033
the stock Tesla 1772 adaptor $127 and a CAN Sr $795 would do the job at a cheaper cost or $922.

I’m all for more products and cheaper charging solutions but I don’t understand how that saves you money. I never majored in electrical (or anything for that matter) but I don’t see that it makes any difference unless I’m seeing something totally wrong. In which case I’m definitely listening.

Reactions: hcsharp
I’m confused, how is that cheaper?
Honest question. I see a Tesla Plug, connected to a quick charge power adaptor $338, that converts Tesla to J1772, connected to a CAN Jr $695
Total $1033
the stock Tesla 1772 adaptor $127 and a CAN Sr $795 would do the job at a cheaper cost or $922.

I’m all for more products and cheaper charging solutions but I don’t understand how that saves you money. I never majored in electrical (or anything for that matter) but I don’t see that it makes any difference unless I’m seeing something totally wrong. In which case I’m definitely listening.
I came out 467 bucks. I have a Nema 14-50 in the garage and a Telsa J1772 adapter already via Model S. The later electrical mention is that some manufactures electrical equipment I've seen on line (not the Can) over heats, not UL listed etc....admittedly I did not clarify. Sorry for the confusion. JDapter Stub

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 9.47.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 9.47.40 PM.png
    399.5 KB · Views: 79
Thanks for clarification, as I said I’m all for viable charging solutions, I personally would prefer to compare the 80A version as that’s the roadsters ability. The Quick Charge Power and the Can have products that easily outperform any competition that may try and squeeze in. Quick Charge Power have DC charging and that’s going to be their money maker. The cost falls rather flat if you already have Tesla chargers. I personally charge at 48+A so I like to compare products from minimum to max. That doesn’t mean that the stub will not fit someone’s requirement or budget, for me it’s not the cheap option though.
I’ll add that after 3 weeks of driving an S I’m jealous of anyone with 2 cars.

I came out 467 bucks. I have a Nema 14-50 in the garage and a Telsa J1772 adapter already via Model S. The later electrical mention is that some manufactures electrical equipment I've seen on line (not the Can) over heats, not UL listed etc....admittedly I did not clarify. Sorry for the confusion. JDapter Stub
You haven't answered @X.l.r.8 's question "how is that cheaper?" You spent $467 and still can't charge a Roadster.

Reactions: rudholm and Gabner
I’ve posted in this. Roadster owners will say the can but save yourself the money. I majored in electrical.

Quick Charge Power | Featured Products

Gremlin, you're aware that the Roadster uses a unique power inlet that is neither J1772 nor the modern Tesla type, yes? Quick Charge Power doesn't sell a Roadster charging connector (although they do sell a CHAdeMO retrofit but that's another story).

I already have an adapter for J1772. Wouldn't his suggestion work just fine?

It's unclear to me what exactly he was suggesting.

However, there is a product on that Quick Charge Power web page called a "Go Cable" that is a J1772 charging cord and it's only $240 (with the 14-50 adapter) but it'll only charge at 16 amps and doesn't appear to be UL Listed. For $310, you could get a new Tesla UMC and 14-50 plug that will charge at 32 amps and is UL Listed. This also gives you the flexibility of interchangeable plug types. Charging at an RV park while on the go at 16 amps will be far less satisfactory than 32 or 40 amps (40A is the maximum you can draw from a 14-50 outlet). Earlier in this thread miimura mentioned that the $520 fixed 14-50 Tesla Corded Mobile Connector delivers 40 amps.

Gremlin, you're aware that the Roadster uses a unique power inlet that is neither J1772 nor the modern Tesla type, yes? Quick Charge Power doesn't sell a Roadster charging connector (although they do sell a CHAdeMO retrofit but that's another story).
Yes but thought my unique case I could make it work. Again I don't want to spend money upgrading existing 50 amp line to 80 amps and then having to repair finished wall in garage.

Thanks for clarification, as I said I’m all for viable charging solutions, I personally would prefer to compare the 80A version as that’s the roadsters ability. The Quick Charge Power and the Can have products that easily outperform any competition that may try and squeeze in. Quick Charge Power have DC charging and that’s going to be their money maker. The cost falls rather flat if you already have Tesla chargers. I personally charge at 48+A so I like to compare products from minimum to max. That doesn’t mean that the stub will not fit someone’s requirement or budget, for me it’s not the cheap option though.
I’ll add that after 3 weeks of driving an S I’m jealous of anyone with 2 cars.
Admittedly I don't have a Roadster : ( still doing research, but yes I have mobile adapter from MS. So if this works, cheaper option for my case particular case than getting the can and upgrading my 50 amp line to 80 AMPS.

Yes but thought my unique case I could make it work. Again I don't want to spend money upgrading existing 50 amp line to 80 amps and then having to repair finished wall in garage.

Admittedly I don't have a Roadster : ( still doing research, but yes I have mobile adapter from MS. So if this works, cheaper option for my case particular case than getting the can and upgrading my 50 amp line to 80 AMPS.
No requirement to upgrade beyond 50 amps. The car is able to draw up to 70 amps, but it's not required. The only requirement is to have the circuit the "charger" (the EVSE) is connected to, be able to support what EVSE is configured for. In the case of the Tesla mobile adapter (which is an EVSE), it's perfectly happy with a 50 amp circuit. No need to go higher.

Reactions: Gremlin