Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster True Cost of Ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am buying a used Roadster (not the Sport unless I get a killer deal) and would like feedback on true annual costs. I will use it in Texas for primary vehicle and retain ICE for real long road trips. I understand tires do not last long. Insurance is very individual so disregard that element. I'm more interested in Ops & Maint costs.

I am buying a used Roadster (not the Sport unless I get a killer deal) and would like feedback on true annual costs. I will use it in Texas for primary vehicle and retain ICE for real long road trips. I understand tires do not last long. Insurance is very individual so disregard that element. I'm more interested in Ops & Maint costs.

Assume 20k miles a year -
Annual service at Tesla - $600
2 sets of rear tires (Michelin PS) - $700
Electricity (assume $0.1/kWhr and 5MWhr/year) - $500 (avg of 250Whr/mile but yours might be higher in the beginning ;D)

Total $1800/year

I've put on 36K miles and my front tires are still good - maybe add another $700 for the fronts after 40k so we can say about $2200/year
This is equivalent to getting about 550 gallons of premium gasoline (~$4.00/gal) or only about 14k miles in a 25mpg ICE car.

Longer term, I'm not sure about battery life and replacement costs but the battery will degrade about 1% every 10k miles.

Assume 20k miles a year -
Annual service at Tesla - $600
2 sets of rear tires (Michelin PS) - $700
Electricity (assume $0.1/kWhr and 5MWhr/year) - $500 (avg of 250Whr/mile but yours might be higher in the beginning ;D)

Total $1800/year

I've put on 36K miles and my front tires are still good - maybe add another $700 for the fronts after 40k so we can say about $2200/year
This is equivalent to getting about 550 gallons of premium gasoline (~$4.00/gal) or only about 14k miles in a 25mpg ICE car.

Longer term, I'm not sure about battery life and replacement costs but the battery will degrade about 1% every 10k miles.

Augie pretty much covered it but I spend a lot more money on milk than I used to.

I have now owned a 1.5 in Houston for a little over 3 years, and love it.

You can manage the cost of tires, if you want to. How you drive the car obviously makes a difference. Plus, if you do not need to push the limits of tires you, you may find you are satisfied with less expensive tires that much longer than those originally on the Roadster. There is quite a bit of discussion on tire threads. I chose Continental DSWs.

I hardly notice the electricity on my electric bill.

As you probably know, the annual service costs a little over $600. There is the question of what, if any, Ranger fees will apply to you.

Tesla has worked on the electronics of my car twice under warranty.

If Austin has smog inspections, you will save that trouble and expense. (You still have the safety inspection at a cost of about $14, but that is better than $40.)

In reality, deterioration of the battery pack and depreciation of the car's value are the two big potential cost factors. Fortunately, my battery pack customarily gets 190 or so ideal miles on a standard charge (charged at 240 volts at 32 amps).

Opinions may vary on the depreciation issue from here on, but my guess is that we have seen most of the steeper part of the depreciation curve. Many people people bought Roadsters primarily because they wanted an electric car and were not prepared to live with a sports car. Many of those people have taken delivery of a Model S and sold their Roadsters to sports car lovers.

If your Roadster comes from a cooler part of the country, be sure that fan shrouds have been added, or have them added.

There are two "shroud" upgrades. One is for the fans at the front, to better draw air through the front radiator. That helps with cooling. (Something else that helps just as much is properly charging the freon - quite commonly not done properly at the factory.)

The second "shroud" is part of the cooling fan upgrade for the PEM and motor. It helps block intrusion of foreign objects, salt, leaves, etc., into the PEM and jamming up the air flow. It also includes an upgraded fan motor, which is sealed better and also has more cooling power. This upgrade is particularly important if the car is ever exposed to road salt.

I live in an area with pretty extreme temperatures (-39C / -38F to 38C / 100F), so Tesla did both upgrades.

Did they replace the blowers also? I am in Florida and they replaced the dual-motor blower with a single-motor blower. Beware if they do - they didn't realize it, but my PEM didn't work with the new setup so they had to replace the PEM also. The car ran fine, but I was getting faults after my service and it took them a little while to figure out the problem.

My Roadster went into the shop today for a week - probably doesn't need a week but I'm going away so I asked them them to keep it. And now it's the point in the evening where I usually stick my head into the garage and say something like "Woah. A Tesla Roadster."... Tonight my garage is empty, I'm depressed and getting jittery, can't concentrate, may have trouble sleeping. My Wife is worried about me. Add this to your true cost of ownership. :crying:

My Roadster went into the shop today for a week - probably doesn't need a week but I'm going away so I asked them them to keep it. And now it's the point in the evening where I usually stick my head into the garage and say something like "Woah. A Tesla Roadster."... Tonight my garage is empty, I'm depressed and getting jittery, can't concentrate, may have trouble sleeping. My Wife is worried about me. Add this to your true cost of ownership. :crying:

To my East Coast plate buddy .... Baby Turtle totally has my heart, too.

I only think about electricity and tires and the $600 annual maintenance as being "cost of ownership". Things like depreciation are unknowns... certainly for a while longer the Roadsters will continue to depreciate, but I could not even attempt to predict the rate other than that I expect it to be slower than it has been. But over time, depreciation may even turn to appreciation with so few cars outstanding (and if Tesla continues to support the car well).

I have pretty much lived the worst-case scenario. I bought a brand-new Roadster 18 months ago and will lose about $30,000 (25%) in depreciation. Drove the car only 3500 miles (it's now for sale), so I've had an $8.57 depreciation cost per mile. Would have been cheaper to have a limo and driver... but I'm still glad I bought the Roadster, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I had the chance. It's just that great an experience.

To my East Coast plate buddy .... Baby Turtle totally has my heart, too.

My Roadster is all tucked in safe and warm.

IMG_1284.JPG

It isn't about "cost".

Having just completed my 2012 taxes for my business I drove 18000 mi and spent roughly $1000 on fuel, $0 on repairs, and 3 oil changes for a 2004 Corolla. (I use a fuel booster my company sells to get 33-35 mpg city and 44-45 mpg highway.) I also bought four 50K mi tires for $350.

I can see cost of ownership will be a bit higher but not as much as I though it might be. Thanks Y'all!

Having just completed my 2012 taxes for my business I drove 18000 mi and spent roughly $1000 on fuel, $0 on repairs, and 3 oil changes for a 2004 Corolla. (I use a fuel booster my company sells to get 33-35 mpg city and 44-45 mpg highway.) I also bought four 50K mi tires for $350.

I can see cost of ownership will be a bit higher but not as much as I though it might be. Thanks Y'all!

So you paid about $2.00 per gal for gas? And claiming 0 for repairs is not a valid comparison when you won't have to do your own maintenance, or at least didn't have to pay Toyota what they would have charged. Operating costs are not generally big considerations with EVs. Depreciation will be a bigger factor.

If you're like most of us, you won't care once you get your car. You'll be having too much fun.:smile: